the FWC site pretty much says that the Florida list is the CG list
Old 30-03-2019, 08:01   #17

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: Florida Safety Decal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
the FWC site pretty much says that the Florida list is the CG list
Are dayshapes on the CG list?

ETA: I found the list. Dayshapes are in there.

https://www.uscgboating.org/images/420.PDF
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 08:37   #18

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Had just anchored off the ICW south of the St. John's river in mid-December of last year. The FWC arrived a bit later and conducted a safety inspection of my '81 Hunter 27. No issues and they were quite courteous. Was given a Safety Inspection decal (to be placed on the starboard bow of the boat).

To be honest, the "Safety Inspection" became only cursory after they inspected my Type 2,3 and 4 PFD's and I volunteered showing them my Type I PFD and they saw the Class B AIS unit (who the heck has a Type I PFD and Class B AIS on a 27-ft sailboat? LOL..well I do).

Haven't been stopped since and may actually request a new inspection since the decal is a 2018 decal. Despite the inconvenience of being stopped, the FWC are doing an important job in trying to ensure that boats in Florida waters meet safety standards.

Edit and correction: The decal is to be placed on the port bow of the boat, not starboard. Here is an interesting article from 2017 concerning the safety inspections. https://southwindsmagazine.com/boat-...tions-florida/
Teknishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 10:00   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknishn View Post
Had just anchored off the ICW south of the St. John's river in mid-December of last year. The FWC arrived a bit later and conducted a safety inspection of my '81 Hunter 27. No issues and they were quite courteous. Was given a Safety Inspection decal (to be placed on the starboard bow of the boat).

To be honest, the "Safety Inspection" became only cursory after they inspected my Type 2,3 and 4 PFD's and I volunteered showing them my Type I PFD and they saw the Class B AIS unit (who the heck has a Type I PFD and Class B AIS on a 27-ft sailboat? LOL..well I do).

Haven't been stopped since and may actually request a new inspection since the decal is a 2018 decal. Despite the inconvenience of being stopped, the FWC are doing an important job in trying to ensure that boats in Florida waters meet safety standards.

Edit and correction: The decal is to be placed on the port bow of the boat, not starboard.
Did they check for fire extinguishers, marpol trash placard, discharge of oily waste placard, nav lights, registration/documentation, etc?
Old 30-03-2019, 11:55   #20

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Did they check for fire extinguishers, marpol trash placard, discharge of oily waste placard, nav lights, registration/documentation, etc?
Yes, they checked fire extinguishers, didn't ask about placards (although they are onboard), nav lights (they took my word for it that the anchor light worked, which it does), registration/documentation, asked about firearms onboard (yes, a flare gun), checked flares, and sanitation system (porta-potty in my case).

Took less than 20 minutes and they were on their way. Professional and friendly..the way it should be.
Teknishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 13:23   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknishn View Post
Yes, they checked fire extinguishers, didn't ask about placards (although they are onboard), nav lights (they took my word for it that the anchor light worked, which it does), registration/documentation, asked about firearms onboard (yes, a flare gun), checked flares, and sanitation system (porta-potty in my case).

Took less than 20 minutes and they were on their way. Professional and friendly..the way it should be.
Yikes. Firearms.

That’s definitely not on the list of required safety devices.

Tags
cal, florida, safety