Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2013, 10:21   #46

Boat: too many
Re: For Which USCG Captain’s License Can I Qualify ?

No chances for abuse. The Captain won't sign your card if it doesn't reflect the proper days for the voyage. If you have your Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean as a 3rd mate, you need two years sailing as a 3rd to sit for your 2nd mate's license, and so on to 1st and Captain. For anything other than Unlimited, I have no idea as to the requirements.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 11:10   #47

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
1. How best to document your sea time?
Best is Carry Blank Seatime Forms with you anytime you are on someone vessel; Next best letters from the Captain of other vessels attesting to your seatime and his vessel description; If you own your own vessel, you can fill out the Seatime Forms yourself.
2. For those who already have a captain license, how accurate was your documentation?
Very
3. Can you retrospectively document your sea time?
For your first license, you can use all your lifetime seatime, that you can document, but there must be 90 days within the last three years
4. Does anyone err on more than less sea time?
Document as much Seatime as you can...
5. Did anyone go the jail becasue he made an mistake on counting his sea time?
Probably and under the US Codes, you could, if someone found out you fraudulently filed false reports of Seatime.
6. It seems there are many chances for abuse?
There are and some people do... But that doesn't mean because you run a stop sign and did't get a ticket, made it legal.

Your thought?
See above

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 18:38   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Well for an upgrade from 50ton to 100ton only requires 90 days on a vessel greater than fifty tons or 180 days on any vessel over five gt, with no further testing.So the seatime requirements for an upgrade aren't that bad.

Where they get confusing is for the 200ton Upgrade, which is actually more difficult in regards to seatime than the 500ton requirements.
I think it's 180 days on a boat over 34 GT, not 5 GT. At least according to the attached. And that only qualifies you for inland operation. Do you remember where you heard it was 5 GT?

For near coastal, it's 180 days over 51 GT, or 360 days over 34 GT
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MCP-FM-NMC5-41 Master 200.pdf (45.0 KB, 74 views)
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 19:00   #49

Boat: GOLDEN STAR TRAWLER 42'

I have a 200 Ton Master of Towing with a Radar Observerer Unlimited endorsement. It took a lot of sea time on commercial vessels, mostly tugs and a few ship. Don't ask me me how many days, as you will get a different answer from different USCG offices, Miami, Charleston, etc. They have made it so complicated over the years they don't even know. I do remember that when you jump to 100 Ton you are required to take a test involving a running fix calculating speed, tide and current. The radar endorsement was pretty complicated also having to calculate "CPA" on three different targets with pencil and paper.
partynutts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 20:03   #50
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Informative thread but there appears to be a lot of “Subjective” national opinions here…. based on what that writer is familiar with.

The reality is that ‘licensing requirements’ have always been influenced by what that nation’s economy and lobbyists needed to improve their goals.

Once achieved, they then go thru continual adjustments as partynutts3 mentioned. (Welcome to CF!)
  1. After WW2 the USA needed to process many commercial skippers, so made their syllabus and exams comparatively easy, until they achieved their goals. Now it has changed, but those international perceptions still linger.
  2. Canada needed tug boat captains and fisherman, so focused on that once the unions killed their offshore trade.
  3. The UK promoted ‘English as the Language of Navigation” by emphasizing oral and written testing to promote their self worth.
  4. They also helped yachtsman get commercial yacht skipper jobs by forming MCA yacht standards as a political solution for the EU. This new accreditation hurt a lot of good masters with other licensing standards. (Australia/Canada..etc..)... It became a real cash cow to get re-certified
By the way, Commercial/Navy guys who think professional Super yacht watch keepers are founded on “being drunk and asleep on your dad's sport fish” are clueless of what knowledgeable owners demand and expect.

Bottom line…. Get whatever piece of accreditation paper will help you to satisfy the flag state and the insurance company for your chosen career path… but recognize it is only a piece of paper that says nothing about your real abilities.

That only comes thru having a track record that demonstrates to your potential employer; proficiency, loyalty and management skills...
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 03:11   #51

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I think it's 180 days on a boat over 34 GT, not 5 GT. At least according to the attached. And that only qualifies you for inland operation. Do you remember where you heard it was 5 GT?

For near coastal, it's 180 days over 51 GT, or 360 days over 34 GT
That is only for determination of tonnage for your initial issue...

For upgrade from 50ton to 100ton you only need seatime from vessels over 5tons, for 180 days. Stupid huh?

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 18:44   #52

[QUOTE="Pelagic;1214392"]

By the way, Commercial/Navy guys who think professional Super yacht watch keepers are founded on “being drunk and asleep on your dad's sport fish” are clueless of what knowledgeable owners demand and expect.

+1

Anchored in front of a super-ish yacht captain recently for several days at a riotous party someplace warm. Exceptionally professional, courteous, set an example for the rest of the harbour--can't say enough good things. I'll respect the privacy of the name of the yacht.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 19:43   #53

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Very interesting to hear Svanen's comments. Back in the early 80's when I emigrated from Canada to the US, I applied and sat for my 100 ton USCG license after 1000's of offshore miles commercial fishing and towing log booms and barges over nearly 15 years between Alaska and Washington State. Once I got US citizenship, I was given credit for all of my recent sea time, had to study for the exam and a basic medical and that was it. For a few $ more, I received and sail and tow endorsements because of my past experience and a couple of Vic-Maui races I crewed in. The documentation required back in the day was pretty straightforward and easily accepted in the US.
Worked in the delivery business for a number of years and 100 Ton Masters was all I ever needed. Always pleased I got it and kept it current while I was working out there. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 01:16   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
That is only for determination of tonnage for your initial issue...

For upgrade from 50ton to 100ton you only need seatime from vessels over 5tons, for 180 days. Stupid huh?
Huh, that's interesting. Is there any CG document that says that, and lists what the upgrade requirements are? I'm not doubting you, just trying to figure out what the requirements are. The CG does an incredibly poor job of documenting and presenting the requirements for each grade, and telling you what each grade allows you to do.

I've been making a big table of the different licenses and endorsements and what the requirements are for each, and doing it strictly on CG published info so I can be confident in the accuracy. I'm doing this just to clarify my own understanding, and to figure out what upgrades I qualify for. So far I haven't come across much of anything saying that the upgrade requirements are any different than the initial issue requirements. In fact, I seem to recall a note saying they are the same, but maybe I skimmed over it too quickly and ignored the fine print.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:52   #55

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

While this thread is pretty old, the info is very relevant. I would get the biggest possible license they USCG will let you sit for. It might take a little more effort now but should be more useful in the long run.
Old 30-06-2013, 22:09   #56

I know when I got my company letter documenting my time for my Unlimited third Officers Exam requirements my "sea time" was interpreted liberally because they wanted me to promote.

I looked up this thread because I have returned to work on Commercial fishing vessals, infact I have purchased a 42 foot 15 ton vessel, and want to take advantage of my currency and hold licenses again. I don't expect to go the Unlimited route in the future, but I do want as high a rating as possible.
Siskiyous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license