Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2007, 11:22   #1

Gratuities for Instructors

Dear Readers,

I am off soon for an ASA103/104, week long sail. All sailing schools say "gratuities not included".

How much should the gratuity be? Advice on percent or amount would be appreciated.
Old 27-01-2007, 11:28   #2
cruiser

If you're talking about tipping a captain on a chartered vessel, it's 10-15% if you were pleased with the service. If this is one-on-one or a very small class, I would imagine the instructor/skipper would be doing a lot of hands on, personal work with you? 10-15% would be adequate if so.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 11:31   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

This is one where I think the "Cultural Divide" appears

Me.......I pay for a service. Someone provides the service as part of their job. I then.................say thankyou and leave. EVERYONE happy.

Others........I know vary.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 11:43   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
How much should the gratuity be?
I would say it depends on how good the instructor was and what the class was like. I think situations like this would merit more than a good waiter. If it was a class of say 8 students I might tip a lot less than if it was just say 2 people. There may also be other crew to consider as well.

If there are deck hands and other crew I would start with them first. The folks taking the least money need it most and usually may be the ones you really owe the most to. You need to feel you were generous without being cleaned out. You should by the end of the course know if people gave you exceptional service or not. If the course was terrible and no one helped you then stiff them.

I did 103/104 together with my wife and one instructor. It was a great course. I would be sure you have all the reading well digested before you get there as it's a lot of course to bite off in one week.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 11:59   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey
This is one where I think the "Cultural Divide" appears

Me.......I pay for a service. Someone provides the service as part of their job. I then.................say thankyou and leave. EVERYONE happy.

Others........I know vary.
Yes, cultural divide there. I was very impressed with some Swedes we had for charter last year. It was a father and 3 sons. A little male bonding. They tipped a good 10%, which was a lot considering the cultural divide and the fact that it rained the entire 3 days they were aboard!
Old 27-01-2007, 12:16   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

I guess the Swedes had heard about the tipping stuff in the States.......and made a special effort in going up to 10%

Apart from in good restaurants (which met or exceeded the good expectations), I would be embarrassed to just give someone money.

In your circumstances I would not have tipped - but if I had enjoyed the charter / company you and the missus would have got a decent bottle of booze. The only difference between me getting invited aboard for 3 days as a mate (for free) is that yer would have got the bottle of booze, whether I had enjoyed the trip of not! But I may have then drunk it

I seem to recall reading that the employees on the "All in price" Cruise Ships and Resorts in the Caribean hate dealing with the Brits.........especially if the "all in price" includes the booze...........

These cross cultural rules can be quite strange...........

Actually one other place I do "tip" is when in Bangkok. But that's another story.....................
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 12:38   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Call me MacScrouge...

I don't give anyone my money unless there is a reason.
In general I don't tip if the person with whom I am dealing has a standard of living close to or better than mine.
Even then I don't tip for service. I tip for friendliness.
In particular in the marine industry where the working conditions are excellent and the prices are high I don't tip.
I very rarely give a present (like a bottle of wine) where the experience has been very enjoyable.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 12:43   #8

Boat: Lotus 10.6
NZ dollar is worth bugger all and when overseas I would not waste it on a tip.
I will never see the person again so don't care if they are pssed off. They are only friendly or whatever so they get more of a tip.
My tip is "be nice to your mother and never waste a fart".
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 14:01   #9

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I chance to say, this is why Americans are call "generous".

Just the tips that my wife receives pays for the groceries and some of the minor bills, which actually accounts for 1/3 of her income.

In return I/we also tip as a courtesy to others who's pay is not all that great. Which also improves the enthusiasm in which labor's do their jobs. Incentives is the only way to get better service, a proven fact!!!!
.................................................. .........._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 14:24   #10
cruiser

Agreed, Del. In the States, tipping is all the income some have, especially in food service. Waitresses often make $3 or $5/hr. Tips are how they earn their income. My wife's tips account for nearly 100% of her income right now.

I think often in places where they don't tip (the UK?), food service and others get a better hourly wage or percentage, correct?
Old 27-01-2007, 14:44   #11

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Tipping crew members or even a captain on a charter, sure. Instructors however, I don't know. Years ago, we took a 5 day live aboard ASA class in San Diego. We ponied up the fee up front, always had cold drinks and lunch for the instructor but I didn't feel the need to tip.

I don't expect a tip for completing a delivery contract. Where do you draw the line?

I was an active dive instructor for 10 years. I always tipped dive masters and boat boys on trips, but never expected or received a tip from my students. I didn't tip my college instructors either.

Maybe that's just me.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 15:06   #12
cruiser

David: I know what you mean about those "all in" packages. ha ha. At least you Brits know how to let loose and have some fun. I have been dying to go to London on New Year's for 2 years now to see the Chemical Brothers play at Turnmills. The damn airfare and hotel cost keeps me from doing it. Someday... hopefully we'll be able to do that before the Chemical Brothers need crutches and wheelchairs to get around, as I will too by then.
Old 27-01-2007, 15:50   #13

Boat: Lotus 10.6
there is no tipping at all in NZ. All very simple. You get the quote or invioice and that's what you pay. From what I gather the pay for waiters etc is pretty bad. Mostly students trying to get some money to get through uni.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 16:14   #14

Everyone,

Thanks for the responses. Interesting that they range from the 10/15% to "no tip-you'll never see them again-who cares".

FYI - ASA103 is bareboat chartering, 104 is coastal cruising, the course is 6 days and - re: cultural divide - in the BVI's. Course is on a 42 Jeanneau, one instructor, one other couple.
Old 27-01-2007, 16:37   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey
I chance to say, this is why Americans are call "generous".

Just the tips that my wife receives pays for the groceries and some of the minor bills, which actually accounts for 1/3 of her income.

In return I/we also tip as a courtesy to others who's pay is not all that great. Which also improves the enthusiasm in which labor's do their jobs. Incentives is the only way to get better service, a proven fact!!!!
.................................................. .........._/)
American tippers may be generous, but it seems the employers aren't! Here in Aus waiters etc. are paid enough so they don't need tips just to survive. Therefore tipping isn't considered mandatory, and is only done when the level of service is actually deserving of it. As for tipping a sailing instructor - he's probably on more money than me, so i doubt I would.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote