Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2013, 01:51   #1

Boat: 40 spray
How Does DWI and other Convictions Effect Licensing?

I am about to embark on an epic adventure. I was having lunch with two old friends this week and while discussing my journey one expressed that he tried to get his captains license at one time but wasn't eligible due to a drug related offense some time ago (20+years). He has been an up standing business man the entire time I have known him.

It did however get me to thinking. I had a dwi in 1996. How will that restrict my ability to advance my marine licensing and qualifications if at all?

I would like to not only take people on trips aboard my boat and do weekly adventures and scuba diving trips but also get a license to deliver others boats and maybe even huge tankers and stuff for the adventure and challenge.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 25-07-2013, 05:55   #2

Re: How does dwi and other convictikns effect licensing

Since there are HUGE differences between countries as regards licensing requirements, and since this is an international forum with participants from all around the world, it would help if you told us in what country you want to become licensed.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 06:43   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Since there are HUGE differences between countries as regards licensing requirements, and since this is an international forum with participants from all around the world, it would help if you told us in what country you want to become licensed.
Not only that, but unlisted tonnage captains (tanker) is a career that takes half a lifetime. One does not just deliver one of them.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 07:18   #4

If you're talking about a uscg merchant mariner license, they're pretty strict with dui convictions.

You'll need to supply an explanation and write about how you're a changed person. They decide case by case.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 07:22   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: How Does DWI and other Convictions Effect Licensing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
If you're talking about a uscg merchant mariner license, they're pretty strict with dui convictions.

You'll need to supply an explanation and write about how you're a changed person. They decide case by case.
Ever since the Exxon Valdez, DUI on the record is not a good thing.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 09:29   #6

I have no convictions or DUI tickets and I held a 100 ton USCG Captain's ticket ( with Sail Endorsement) since the early 80s but I didn't renew last time around (has to be renewed every 5 years) ... I've done delivery trips, fishing charters, charter cruises, taught sailing and captained an 80+ foot stern paddle-wheel dinner cruise boat not to mention owning and operating my own boats over the years.

I gave up the license partly because I'm now over 65 but also because the USCG keeps upping the ante. When the Department of Homeland Security instituted the TWIC system, that was the last straw. I was NOT a 'Transportation Worker' and I resent having to have an ID Card for use in 'secured ports' that identifies me as a mere boat driver especially since I never go into those secure ports. I was a licensed CAPTAIN damn it.

And it's not the fingerprinting requirement I'm bitching over either. I've been fingerprinted dozens of times in my life including when I was in the USAF and needed a Top Secret Clearance and when I taught sailing to kids, etc. Plus since the 90s there was an FBI fingerprint requirement for a background check to get your license renewed anyway.

The stupid DHS made the TWIC card machine readable so that the 'guards' at the port entries didn't even have to look at the picture on the card. The machines were supposed to compare your card fingerprint to your actual finger through the magic of 'software' and that way you could gain entrance to secure port facilities ... but then they hadn't installed any of the machines by the time they implemented the card requirement. Brilliant! I don't know how well the government's readers work but in other circumstances my personal experience with biometric readers has not been all that successful. A finger that's too wet, dirty or dry can give false readings as can a reader plate that hasn't been cleaned in a while.

It's pretty much this kind of government stupid that creates resentful old bastards like me.
Capt RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 09:34   #7

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Just call your local district and ask them!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 09:35   #8

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt RonB View Post
but then they hadn't installed any of the machines by the time they implemented the card requirement. Brilliant!
I still have not ever had my TWIC scanned, and I've been into drydocks, RORO yards, and container terminals!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 09:41   #9

They wont let you in Canada if a DUI in the last 10 years.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 10:51   #10

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
They wont let you in Canada if a DUI in the last 10 years.
Not true...you can buy your way in for about $200.00 per crossing. We had a crew member that has bought his way in 3 or 4 times. You can also apply to come in under an individual offense rehabilitation after 5 years.

Canada: DWI or DUI - Driving convictions - TripAdvisor
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 11:05   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

The requirements for licensing (and who can obtain them - and with what "history" or Nationality) will depend on the locale you are operating in. AFAIK no single licence that qualifies anyone to do everything everywhere.

IIRC, as long as you pass the exams (and pay the fees!) that the (UK) RYA will certify anybody without a background check - and that can get endorsed to be "commercial". Whether that then allows you to operate somewhere will then depend on local requirements (for you and boat!), or if working for others also on their own company requirements - which may include a police check. Insurance company for own operation may also want you to declare them (I don't know for sure), and if not refuse cover certainly add that to the premium!

If you are based in Greece might find that will need to learn Greek, whether a legal requirement or simply in practice..........I would be surprised if they were able to restrict being a Skipper to only Greeks (the EU don't like that sort of thing! - but it might not include US folks), other countries will have a locals only rule.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 16:05   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt RonB View Post
I have no convictions or DUI tickets and I held a 100 ton USCG Captain's ticket ( with Sail Endorsement) since the early 80s but I didn't renew last time around (has to be renewed every 5 years) ... I've done delivery trips, fishing charters, charter cruises, taught sailing and captained an 80+ foot stern paddle-wheel dinner cruise boat not to mention owning and operating my own boats over the years.

I gave up the license partly because I'm now over 65 but also because the USCG keeps upping the ante. When the Department of Homeland Security instituted the TWIC system, that was the last straw. I was NOT a 'Transportation Worker' and I resent having to have an ID Card for use in 'secured ports' that identifies me as a mere boat driver especially since I never go into those secure ports. I was a licensed CAPTAIN damn it.

And it's not the fingerprinting requirement I'm bitching over either. I've been fingerprinted dozens of times in my life including when I was in the USAF and needed a Top Secret Clearance and when I taught sailing to kids, etc. Plus since the 90s there was an FBI fingerprint requirement for a background check to get your license renewed anyway.

The stupid DHS made the TWIC card machine readable so that the 'guards' at the port entries didn't even have to look at the picture on the card. The machines were supposed to compare your card fingerprint to your actual finger through the magic of 'software' and that way you could gain entrance to secure port facilities ... but then they hadn't installed any of the machines by the time they implemented the card requirement. Brilliant! I don't know how well the government's readers work but in other circumstances my personal experience with biometric readers has not been all that successful. A finger that's too wet, dirty or dry can give false readings as can a reader plate that hasn't been cleaned in a while.

It's pretty much this kind of government stupid that creates resentful old bastards like me.

I'm not arguing that you should keep your license current; feel free to do what you like. But the TWIC process also streamlined the application process in that you didn't need to supply a photo anymore (the TWIC application process takes one).

Of all the hoops, studying, testing, and paperwork I had to jump through getting my TWIC took twenty minutes and I talked to the guy about motorcycles the whole time as he jotted down my info and snapped my picture.

If you've got political and ideological issues with it that's of course your prerogative, but it really isn't that big of a deal.

And hop off your high horse a little bit about being a "captain" versus a "transportation worker". I know guys who push around warships who don't go around proclaiming themselves as captain even though that's their rank and station.
Old 25-07-2013, 16:07   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
Just call your local district and ask them!
I think the National Maritime Center process all the paperwork; the local districts really aren't involved in it. My application got put on hold and I had to send in clarifying documents (related to sea service), and everything was done through the NMC.

Home--United States Coast Guard National Maritime Center
Old 25-07-2013, 17:52   #14

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjwelch View Post
I am about to embark on an epic adventure. I was having lunch with two old friends this week and while discussing my journey one expressed that he tried to get his captains license at one time but wasn't eligible due to a drug related offense some time ago (20+years). He has been an up standing business man the entire time I have known him.

It did however get me to thinking. I had a dwi in 1996. How will that restrict my ability to advance my marine licensing and qualifications if at all?

I would like to not only take people on trips aboard my boat and do weekly adventures and scuba diving trips but also get a license to deliver others boats and maybe even huge tankers and stuff for the adventure and challenge.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
You don't need a license to deliver boats...but getting the jobs without one is pretty hard due to the competition...since the "licensing schools" started, there are WAYYYYY to many knuckleheads with that piece of paper...I know I had many in my classes...

Unless you are in or planning to get into a maritime academy...I doubt you'll be driving tankers anytime soon.

Call the Nat Maritime Center and speak to someone about your DUI...you friend with the drug issue might have had more going on with the USCG than was said. The USCG evaluated DUI on a case by case basis.

I work with a guy who has had 3, done jail/prison time for it and still holds a capt license..the circumstances must have made the USCG feel pretty good about him and I have to agree...afloat he is all business.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 18:46   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Not true...you can buy your way in for about $200.00 per crossing. We had a crew member that has bought his way in 3 or 4 times. You can also apply to come in under an individual offense rehabilitation after 5 years.

Canada: DWI or DUI - Driving convictions - TripAdvisor
I guess things change, my last attempt with 4 people in the car, hotel reservations in vancouver and prepared to spend a bunch of money ended up with us all going back home due to one member who had a DUI 14 years earlier. Right after that it changed to 10 years. I suppose it continues to change.... $200 helps to keep that person from drinking and driving somehow I guess! ?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote