Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2011, 09:12   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman66 View Post
I must have left out some key points. The boat is in Annapolis,Md. The boat is paid for. Kehma is a very large marina,cove,moorage facility north of Houston.
Truck it to Kehma and learn what goes bump in the night in in local waters.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 14:39   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Have you closed on this boat? I may have a captain for you who has made this transport last year. Lots of options available if you can run on the ICW. How tall is the mast? If you are under 60 to 65 feet you can pass most bridges. The Gread dismal swamp is a place I'd like to explore and there are a lot of other points of interest.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 14:50   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman66 View Post
Is it required to have a certification in order to get insurance ? I made an offer on a boat today and as of yet I do not know how to sail. The sale is pending the survey. I have not closed. The price was compelling. Is it neccessary to be certified to sail the boat away. It has been awhile, but I have sailed some 50 years ago.If someone would take the time to walk me through what I should expect to get started. Thanks.
No. But it is a good idea to know how to sail before sailing the boat away

I found that my marina requires proof of insurance. It would be a good idea to check with the marina you are considering.

I found that Boat US offered the lowest quote but then did not like the survey. Not that there were problems, but the survey was not detailed enough for them. I then went with State Farm as I had limited time to sort it out, who were the next cheapest after Boat US.

Progressive and Geico offered the highest quotes and worst coverage.

Next year I might get a new insurance survey (in the water) and go with Boat US.

Boat US do reasonable towing insurance that you might want to consider.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 03:02   #19

Boat: Catalina 30

A lesson learned caution:
I asked my surveyor to do a thorough inspection and list everything he saw for me to use as a checklist as I refit my boat over time. The insurance company literally ignored the priority 1 items and made the recommendations as must do priority 1 items before moving my boat. This has not been a pleasant time dealing with them. If I had known the problems I would have searched out a "check the box" surveyor and be done with it.
Old 24-12-2011, 04:17   #20
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-and-Boo View Post
A lesson learned caution:
I asked my surveyor to do a thorough inspection and list everything he saw for me to use as a checklist as I refit my boat over time. The insurance company literally ignored the priority 1 items and made the recommendations as must do priority 1 items before moving my boat. This has not been a pleasant time dealing with them. If I had known the problems I would have searched out a "check the box" surveyor and be done with it.

You have to decide which job you want the surveyor to do, unfortunately. Insurance companies expect surveyors expect them to tell them about *dangerous* things, significant things that could either put people andor boat at risk, or significantly affect the value of the boat.

They have to be careful not to list things not of concern to the insurance company.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 05:14   #21

Boat: Island Packet 35
I had a similar problem as peek a boo. Boat US was great but they miss read a priority 3 find (chain plates need to be rebedded). Boat US understood they needed replaced a limited cover to dock only. After 4 phone calls I finally got a senior under writer to reread the survey a understand my rigging was not about to collapse and all I had to do was rebed them.
Hotel L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 05:28   #22

Also tell your potential Insurance companies about the trip. You will need cruising extensions that will require cost comparisons. They may also have restrictions; experience, number of crew, time of year, and routing. All the above I have had to negotiate with Boat US. Dock mates have cancelled w Boat US because the couldn't agree on the above.
Old 24-12-2011, 05:37   #23
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i went with comprehensive coverage for few years then dropped it and now have liability (save 1000 a year). also you might check out a towing policy for the first year. be prepared to do some work on the boat to fix problems uncovered by the survey and required by insurance company
Old 24-12-2011, 05:40   #24

Oldman 66....how much time do you have to make your trip? When do plan to make the trip? An option is to hire a captain to Norfolk and take extra time learning the boat while exploring the bay south. At this point you'll know if you and the boat are ready for the trip. I am in the area, not a captain though, but if you need anything PM me.
Old 30-05-2012, 03:53   #25

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

We have no insurance and there are many down here that do not. Maybe 50% of the community have no insurance. So I don't see it a must. Now maybe if I were back in the States I would have a different opinion
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance