Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2017, 09:56   #16

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: International Accreditation Sailing Schools Operating Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
If it's recognised accreditation you're after ... the first thing you need to do is get your PCOC if you haven't already got it - The RCMP will ask to see this if you ever meet them on the water. Another thing you should probably do is get an ROC, I don't know if anyone will ever ask to see it, but it is a legal requirement in Canada if you want to use the radio on your boat. Neither of these will take a lot of time, but you might as well get it done now while you have time to spare.

But as far as on-water courses, apart from you yourself, the only people who are likely to care as you are just starting out is your insurance. If you're trying to get insurance with no experience ... every little helps ... So phone up an insurance broker and ask about what course accreditation they will recognise to help you get better insurance. I know that my CYA courses counted for something, but even then, of the four quotes my broker asked for two were still denied.
+1 to radio operator licencing and insurance constraints.

Note your licencing should align with your vessels registry. This gives you the ability to demonstrate compliance with your nationality / boat registration. Internationally reciprocal rights generally are honored.

We are Australian so I have Aussie MROCP ssb and vhf licence. There is no sailing licence in Australia so we got US ASA and I have a US ham licence as were resident in the US. We also have an Aussie MMSI and our Aussie registration is labelled as per Aussie regs. We have also retained the original US build and USCG numbers for traceability.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 19:30   #17

Re: International Accreditation Sailing Schools Operating Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Cowboy View Post
Interesting. Can you share your source where you heard they were under investigation? I have sent an email to IYT to get their response as well. I will post once I hear in the meantime I would like to know your source of where you heard that if you don't mind? I appreciate your comments.
I was told this when I called a few RYA schools about redoing my VHF with them.
phillockman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, sailing school, school