Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2017, 23:53   #1

Boat: Albin Vega
International Accreditation Sailing Schools Operating Now?

I have 2 more months off work and it doesn't look like I'll be buying a boat before going back. Where I live (West Coast of Canada) none of the sailing schools operate in the winter and I'm a new sailor. So, anyone know of any legit sailing schools that offer internationally recognised certification of competence for operating small cruising yachts? Preferably something that is not a USA governing body (cost of further training in USD could become even more prohibitive should the CAD further weaken in value) . There's got to be some place with warm blue waters that offers cruise and learn trips. A guy could learn a lot in two months

Oh and I guess given the huge range of wealth of members on this site I should mention I am definitely budget conscious, being a lowly trucker

Consejos?
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 23:58   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: International Accreditation Sailing Schools Operating Now?

The only certification around that is universally recognized which you can get is the RYA's "Yachtmaster". While other national tickets might be as good as or better in terms of the training involved the Yachtmaster is the de-facto gold standard.

There are many places, some with warm water, that offer training and certification. The offshore sailing school in Antigua, for example.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:59   #3
Marine Service Provider

We operate primarily out of Grenada. Beautiful warm blue water and lots of sunshine this time of year! The wind is also great - some of the best sailing anywhere!

Zanshin is correct that the RYA certification is considered the Gold Standard, but it really depends on what you want to do. If your intent is to sail your own boat or charter around the world, there are several well recognized organizations - including the American Sailing Association. We are an ASA affiliate school.

Check out our website and let me know if you have any questions about sailing in the Caribbean!
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:27   #4

Boat: Hullmaster 27

If it's recognised accreditation you're after ... the first thing you need to do is get your PCOC if you haven't already got it - The RCMP will ask to see this if you ever meet them on the water. Another thing you should probably do is get an ROC, I don't know if anyone will ever ask to see it, but it is a legal requirement in Canada if you want to use the radio on your boat. Neither of these will take a lot of time, but you might as well get it done now while you have time to spare.

But as far as on-water courses, apart from you yourself, the only people who are likely to care as you are just starting out is your insurance. If you're trying to get insurance with no experience ... every little helps ... So phone up an insurance broker and ask about what course accreditation they will recognise to help you get better insurance. I know that my CYA courses counted for something, but even then, of the four quotes my broker asked for two were still denied.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:57   #5

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
I have 2 more months off work and it doesn't look like I'll be buying a boat before going back. Where I live (West Coast of Canada) none of the sailing schools operate in the winter and I'm a new sailor. So, anyone know of any legit sailing schools that offer internationally recognised certification of competence for operating small cruising yachts? Preferably something that is not a USA governing body (cost of further training in USD could become even more prohibitive should the CAD further weaken in value) . There's got to be some place with warm blue waters that offers cruise and learn trips. A guy could learn a lot in two months

Oh and I guess given the huge range of wealth of members on this site I should mention I am definitely budget conscious, being a lowly trucker

Consejos?
I'm pretty sure that most of the West Coast sailing schools will offer something if you wave the kind of $ you would need to fly to the Caribbean :-) And winter sailing in the PNW is a blast.

Have you thought about getting the IYT/ICC cert? I know Cooper and Nanaimo Yacht Charter offer them...
Old 05-02-2017, 12:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
If it's recognised accreditation you're after ... the first thing you need to do is get your PCOC if you haven't already got it - The RCMP will ask to see this if you ever meet them on the water. Another thing you should probably do is get an ROC, I don't know if anyone will ever ask to see it, but it is a legal requirement in Canada if you want to use the radio on your boat. Neither of these will take a lot of time, but you might as well get it done now while you have time to spare.

But as far as on-water courses, apart from you yourself, the only people who are likely to care as you are just starting out is your insurance. If you're trying to get insurance with no experience ... every little helps ... So phone up an insurance broker and ask about what course accreditation they will recognise to help you get better insurance. I know that my CYA courses counted for something, but even then, of the four quotes my broker asked for two were still denied.
Hey

I got my PCOC a few years ago and my first boat only cost $300 and change for a year's insurance; benefits of buying cheap boats

I'd love to get my ROC-M but never seem to be off work at the right time and haven't had the opportunity. Not a huge deal, I've never heard of anyone being asked to show it in BC waters. It probably only comes up if your transmissions suggest ignorance and I don't find the protocol all that abstract. Eventually I will be in the right place at the right time and write the exam.

I'm looking to take sailing courses primarily to learn how to operate better. It's likely that after this stint of time off work the next time I sail will be right after purchasing a boat so singlehanded and probably trying to get it to a certain dry storage lot I know of ASAP so I can get back to work. So yeah, it'd be nice to have some more experience to facilitate that.

Given that a week of bareboat chartering costs more than a third of the avg purchase price of the boats I'm looking to buy I'm probably never going to do it It's nice to have options though and I gather Western European nations require cruisers to have certificates of competence. France and Spain are high on my list of places to cruise so I need to get that ball rolling toward certification.

What do you have for certification and is it sufficient for the various governing bodies around the world?

Hope you're staying warm
Old 05-02-2017, 12:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I'm pretty sure that most of the West Coast sailing schools will offer something if you wave the kind of $ you would need to fly to the Caribbean :-) And winter sailing in the PNW is a blast.

Have you thought about getting the IYT/ICC cert? I know Cooper and Nanaimo Yacht Charter offer them...
You'd think so, wouldn't you? Haha. I've called and emailed around but nobody offers courses until may. Well one guy said he might have something at the end of March but I'm not holding my breath on that. I'd be annoyed but because people are so reluctant to venture out in freezing temps it makes for uncrowded anchorages

You guys getting snowed on a bunch? Lots of snow in BC this year icy foredecks...fun haha
Old 05-02-2017, 15:33   #8

Coincidentally, this just showed up in my Facebook feed from Cooper Boating...

Quote:
Want to get out on the water this year but not sure how to start? Our BASIC CRUISE AND LEARN and CREW COURSE are just two of our LEVEL ONE sailing courses that do not require any previous experience!
CREW starts february 20 and BASIC CRUISE AND LEARN departs from our VANCOUVER location on february 28. Call our office and get booked today! 604.687.4110.
Old 05-02-2017, 17:53   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Coincidentally, this just showed up in my Facebook feed from Cooper Boating...
Well, Sir, I do believe I owe you a beer
Old 08-02-2017, 01:05   #10

Welp, found a 5 day course right here in BC Should be fun!
Old 08-02-2017, 07:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
Welp, found a 5 day course right here in BC Should be fun!
Enjoy!
Old 10-02-2017, 14:51   #12

Boat: LM 22

Besides getting a certification you could also spend some of your two months getting some practical experience by crewing for someone. Take a look in the "Crews" section of this site and make a profile on findacrew.net and similar sites.
madsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 08:41   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Be careful what you read on here. RYA is not the "Gold Standard" International Yacht Training (IYT) is based out of Kelowna BC is the most accepted worldwide. RYA is good as well but they're others. It comes down to who the instructor is really. Lots of options for you.
Old 21-08-2017, 15:10   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Cowboy View Post
Be careful what you read on here. RYA is not the "Gold Standard" International Yacht Training (IYT) is based out of Kelowna BC is the most accepted worldwide. RYA is good as well but they're others. It comes down to who the instructor is really. Lots of options for you.
I agree that the instructor's competency and style is key rather than what piece of paper you end up with. I have heard though that one needs to be careful regarding IYT tickets - apparently they are under investigation and may not be valid in some countries as holders are led to believe. Recently my IYT VHF was rejected by the MCA (Britain) because although it had the MCA logo on it, they said it was not recognized by the MCA or approved to have their logo on it.

Despite the age old debate of RYA vs IYT, it seems the safe route is to go RYA if you want international certification.
phillockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 09:45   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillockman View Post
I agree that the instructor's competency and style is key rather than what piece of paper you end up with. I have heard though that one needs to be careful regarding IYT tickets - apparently they are under investigation and may not be valid in some countries as holders are led to believe. Recently my IYT VHF was rejected by the MCA (Britain) because although it had the MCA logo on it, they said it was not recognized by the MCA or approved to have their logo on it.

Despite the age old debate of RYA vs IYT, it seems the safe route is to go RYA if you want international certification.
Interesting. Can you share your source where you heard they were under investigation? I have sent an email to IYT to get their response as well. I will post once I hear in the meantime I would like to know your source of where you heard that if you don't mind? I appreciate your comments.

Tags
sail, sailing, sailing school, school