Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 08:19   #1

Licensing in Queensland, Australia

I'm planning to arrive in Queensland as a tourist with RYA Day Skipper certification. I tried to figure out from the government website whether it has any value there, and it seems that it is recognised. However, I'm not sure what I'd be allowed to DO there with it. As far as I understand, sailing any kind of non-motor boat doesn't require a licence, though I would probably need some form of certification to assure the owner that I won't sink it. :-)
Could any Aussie please shed some light on this issue? :-)
yaront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 06:01   #2

Boat: Adams 45 Steel Masthead Cutter
Do you mean a bare boat charter?...or just generally? ...if bareboat they just need to know you have had some experience. No quals....no log book...whereas in NSW if you are in command of any vessel that exceeds 10 knots then you will need the marine equivalent to a motor vehicle license....a boat license of sorts... The actual name eludes me despite possessing one! I am told that technically an unlicensed person could control Greg Norman's mega yacht...they just cannot exceeds 10 knots....
Aussie Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 21:48   #3

Hi, if your going to work on commercial vessels here in Aus, you'll need at least a general purpose hand ticket from the state you're going to, nothing required for private vessels, if you're going to buy a boat and charge people to sail with you, you'll need a Master 5 licence, much harder to achieve, hope this helps
waverunners is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, queensland