Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2016, 15:37   #1

Looking for bluewater experience in the PNW

Cross posted from the meet and greet forum.

Good Day All,

Long time lurker on the boards and have finally broke down and registered. I really started getting the sailing itch two years ago and after drueling over sailboat ads and watching all the sailing vlogs out I grabbed a Sparrow 17 this spring and since then I have sailed my little sailboat all over the Columbia river from the warm waters of Lake Wallula to the currents of upper Lake Roosevelt (both are technically the Columbia River). I figure I have approximately 50 hrs of sailing experience in my boat in all kinds of weather (I have been called an idiot trying to sail reefed up in pretty healthy winds).

This spring I am looking to do one of the 5-14 day sailing learn and cruises in NW Washington / Vancouver and while the companies offering these excursions are charging a very fair rate if anyone is looking for an additional hand who has cut his teeth a bit I would love to come out for a bit. As my handle suggests I work in law enforcement so rest assured im not quite bat **** crazy.

If anyone has recommendations for any schools and or individuals who might help me in this pursuit I'd love to hear them and just to reiterate I'm not really seeking certifications as much as the knowledge and experience.
CaverCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 10:28   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Looking for bluewater experience in the PNW

I would recommend San Juan Sailing out of Bellingham Washington if you are interested in sailing in the San Juan Islands. They do a great job! If you would like to escape some of that cold / wet PNW weather - come check us out in Grenada! Let me know if you have any questions about sailing schools - I would be happy to help you out even if you don't end up sailing with us down in the West Indies!
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 11:34   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I love the PNW, but I 'm not sure I'd think of it as a first choice for a wide variety of "bluewater" practice, unless you come down the coast... then it is great if a bit extreme at times... like now... Any chance you might also be able to travel to where there is a wider variety of wind/sea conditions for practice? California isn't too far and it has some good spots. SF bay and out from Monterey up to Bodega Bay is a good training ground IMO. The triangle from Point Arguello to San Miguel Island and over to Santa Barbara is also good for a wide variety of conditions to practice in. In both areas you can get some good experience but you are still somewhat close to safe harbors/anchorages.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 11:37   #4

BTW, did you see this?
Crew Wanted: Seattle and British Columbia Cruising - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 18-10-2016, 12:11   #5

Thank you all for the replies.

Thank you especially for the headsup on the seeking crew just posted.

LTD, I have looked into your sailing school extensively and even priced out the flight to Grenada; if it were feasible I'd definitely choose your school over any others I have seen... I mean its the Carribean right .

Regarding locations better suited for sailing for me it usually comes down to price and after looking at copious schools I can attest that the schools up this way are often on par with schools I find on the west coast of Mexico. Cant beat that price comparison. While I haven't investigated schools at length in California (which I will now) I have always assumed they would be pricey as is everything in California.
Old 18-10-2016, 12:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaverCop View Post
Thank you all for the replies.

Thank you especially for the headsup on the seeking crew just posted.

LTD, I have looked into your sailing school extensively and even priced out the flight to Grenada; if it were feasible I'd definitely choose your school over any others I have seen... I mean its the Carribean right .

Regarding locations better suited for sailing for me it usually comes down to price and after looking at copious schools I can attest that the schools up this way are often on par with schools I find on the west coast of Mexico. Cant beat that price comparison. While I haven't investigated schools at length in California (which I will now) I have always assumed they would be pricey as is everything in California.
Just one idea: I haven't checked this in a long time, but you might just check about chartering a boat with a good local skipper who doesn't mind training you too. That might be cheaper... not a bad holiday too. In my area, Channel Islands, there are a few charter boat outfits and giving them a call I bet you'll find a good local skipper too. Here is just one... I have some good friends in SB who probably know of especially good local skippers too. SB is a good spot to go from because you can go from calm conditions to fairly windy pretty quick and there is plenty of good anchoring spots to practice in.
Private Charter with Captain - Santa Barbara Sailing Center
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 25-11-2016, 10:28   #7

Boat: Moody 47

One more for you. Bluewater Cruising based out of Vancouver Canada. Great group of people from all parts of the world. Classes are geared toward prepping you for blue water adventure.

http://www.bluewatercruising.org

Check em out.

Walt

S/v Pellucidar
Old 25-11-2016, 20:18   #8

Thank you very much for the link and if I lived closer to Vancouver that would definitely be a great option for me.

Tags
Bluewater, enc, water