Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 01:13   #1

Maine boat title.

Quick question, I am looking at buying a 30 Oday, private sale, and I was wondering if it was just as simple as signing over the title, or is there more paper work to transfer ownership? I myself am a Florida resident, currently "stalled" in maine.
Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
pirate_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:11   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Maine boat title.

I'd hate to guess as that's all it would be and I may be wrong,
I'd call the local tax office, they would know, I think.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:58   #3

PO of my Oday25 had it registered in Maine. He signed a Bill of Sale and gave me his copy of registration.

Maine is so-called "non title" state. Meaning they don't issue titles just a regular registration. In my case the problem was that the PO registered on line and his registration was a simple b&w printout of an emailed PDF file and he later misplaced the original Maine sent to him by mail. And MA wanted to see a regular colored "state issued" registration.

Unfortunately since PO already sent a letter to Maine sying that the boat was sold Maine could not re-issue an "original" one. But MA to confirm prior ownership was asking an official letter from Maine's appropriate office. I went though this last spring and it took me 2 calls to Maine and 2 visits to MA office but eventually the boat was registered in MA after I brought them an orginal letter from Maine registration office (can only be sent to PO who in turn sent it to me) confirming that they don't issue titles and that PO was the PO.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:35   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

How to Register a Private Sale Purchased Boat or Utility Trailer:

Documents Needed:
Signed bill of sale.
Title signed over to the new owner (if trailer is a model year 1995 or newer and over 3,000 lbs net weight).
If your municipality does not participate in our registration program, you will need to visit a BMV branch office with the documents listed above. Please contact your local municipal office to find out if they participate in our registration program.
Pay sales tax (5.5% of the purchase price).
Pay the appropriate registration fee. Multiply fee by 2 for a two year registration.

Registering Boat or Utility Trailers, Registrations, Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles

https://www5.informe.org/online/boat/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 16:00   #5

Thanks, that is a lot of help, I will run by the tax office and double check.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
pirate_81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maine