Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 13:14   #1

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Master of Yachts (200t) Certificate ?

I would like somene to let me know how valid is the above qualification. In Australia traditionaly, we have had the choice of YA (Yachting Australia) or RYA courses for sail training. Undoubtedly the RYA has been superior, but as a receational boater I only wanted to learn what I needed to know and the YA courses were a bit more laid back and enjoyable. At the end of each course the teacher was also the examiner and we all passed because he was a good bloke and we all knew what he drank. I have completed Competenet Crew, Inshore & Coastal Skipper YA Courses. However, now in Australia the YA couses will no longer be recognised. Everyone has to go buy a blue blazer and start from scratch if they want RYA certificates. It seems that there is no credit for YA "exams" passed. However, lately this new course has emerged that is promoted as a real alternative to the RYA Yachtmaster. It's called the Master of Yachts (200t). The certificates are IYT certificates and the course is supposed to be regognised by the MCA and apparently has a wide and growing acceptance worldwide. That's great but I don't even know what IYT or MCA is. I just don't want to sail the boat to Europe to find out the certificates don't stack up over there. From the courses I've done, I can complete this new course in only 12 days and I can do it at the same place I did the YA courses. Any comments before I spend my money will be welcome.

Greg
Old 03-06-2010, 14:52   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
IYT = International Yacht Training
International Yacht Training Worldwide | Home

IYT is a training organization that instructs and certifies mariners to the MCA or USCG standards. In the States, MPT (Maritime Professional Training) and others do the same thing.

MCA = Maritime and Coastguard Agency
MCA - Home

MCA is a UK organization that licenses "red flagged" or UK mariners. They're equivalent to the USCG. Both set the standards for maritime licensing worldwide (both deck and engineering).

Regardless where you get your bookwork done, you're going to have to show your competency on a vessel and take oral exams before being issued a license, you're going to have to show time at sea, time at sea with a license, and other requirements in order to transfer license or get a CEC (which, imo, is the way to go). In the past OZ and NZ (and some say, SA) licenses haven't been transferable or given a Certificate of Equivalent Competency.

The requirements are changing as I write this so I'd suggest doing some research and questioning. What you currently have for certificates and sea time will depend on the level of license you'll be qualified for.
Old 03-06-2010, 16:14   #3

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Thanks for the help Capt Douglas. Sea time will not be a problem. I was after an opinion on the value of the certificate from someone other than the sailing school, particularly as the RYA courses have been the accepted benchmark since Noah's day.

Cheers
Greg