Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2010, 10:25   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Downwind Marine’s Cruising Guide:
http://www.downwindmarine.com/downlo...ngdownwind.pdf
mexican navy WILL board ye in the waters within X mi of mexico to inspect you--please have the fishing license from conapesca before you go --i am sure someone here in sin diego can be bought to get one for ye before ye leave--the penalty is high for not complying. they treat ye like you are a poacher--they donot like the poachers and will even imprison their own marines when they are accused of so doing--be aware. the online version takes 6 months to receive--the walk in is 5 mins. so bribe me --lol--mebbe i will turn out to be nice enough to ride my bike to conapesca to get this for ye--but i dont do things "on me"--lol i aint that nice.

and may i back gord on the downwind cruiser guide--is the best lil pamphlet i have seen for this venture...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 05:43   #17

The Mexican Fishing License is trivial to get in San Diego. There's a fishing store just off Shelter Island that sells them, in minutes, for a slight markup. There's a Conapesca office somewhere downtown that is super friendly. You don't need one if you have ZERO fishing gear on board. But that would be silly because fishing down the Baja is terrific.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 08:11   #18

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Conapesca -
2550 Fifth Avenue # 15 San Diego, CA.92103 Ph: (619) 233-4324

FWIW - I have only been inspected by the Mexican Navy once; they were interested in guns and drugs and were uninterested in any permits or licenses I may or may not have had - that is up to the issuing agency and they let them enforce that - and there are no, er, um, Conapesca vessels...
They are also very easy to get once you arrive at a port of any size.

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 09:26   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
CONAPESCA San Diego states:
Effective January 2008, boat permits are no longer required for vessels practising sportfishing in Mexican waters.
CONAPESCA SAN DIEGO - Sportfishing regulations, Conapesca Mexico San Diego Office

I presume this “boat permit” is separate & different from the “personal fishing licence” described in the regulations:
“When operating a boat that carries fishing equipment in Mexican waters, it is necessary to hold a valid fishing license for everybody aboard the boat, regardless of age and whether fishing or not.”
CONAPESCA SAN DIEGO - Sportfishing regulations, Conapesca Mexico San Diego Office

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 12:47   #20

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Quote:
I presume this “boat permit” is separate & different from the “personal fishing licence” described in the regulations
Yes, you "have the right of it". In the past, the vessel, dinghy, theoretically anything that floated - kayak, canoe - needed a license; now only the people on board need a personal license.
Charter and commercial fishing boats still need a vessel license.

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 17:33   #21

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Thank you everybody.
Adax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 13:47   #22

I might be running a couple of yachts down there this year and I was told the only license I need is my 200ton to meet insurance for the boats nothing to do with Mexico.
Finditsurfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 14:32   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finditsurfit View Post
I might be running a couple of yachts down there this year and I was told the only license I need is my 200ton to meet insurance for the boats nothing to do with Mexico.
if you do not have any fishing gear whatsoever, you will be ok. if there is so much as a hook, and you are boarded and they find it, is a poaching charge. is your business. do what you feel is necesary to remain free in a 3rd world nation with a drug problem and love for mordida. i have been boarded 3 out of 4 times sailing thereby the mexican navy.. is your call. i figger 48 and change dollars for a 1 yr license beats the hellout of losing everything i own in a strange land. is their law not mine. i respect it.
Old 29-07-2010, 17:21   #24

Sorry, I will have a fishing license.I was just referring to a commercial boat license. I didn't write that very well.
Finditsurfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 18:11   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finditsurfit View Post
Sorry, I will have a fishing license.I was just referring to a commercial boat license. I didn't write that very well.
\

whew--was concerned for ye for a minuet there--glad to hear ye will be safe!!!
Old 03-10-2013, 17:43   #26

Re: Mexican Boat License ?

No license required for recreational use. However chartering requires a license. It used to be only Mexicans could get the licenses, but they just changed the law to allow equivalency for US and MCA licensing. It's a simple process if you have a US or MCA license. However, you also need a work permit, and this now requires that you start this process in the US with the Mexican consulate.
Jvpcrui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:14   #27

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Mexico has no recreational boaters licenses, beyond a 10 year Temporary Import Permit for the boat and VISAs for your crew, you are good to go. You are required to submit a Crew List to the Port Captains as well, but that is no charge and normally only takes a couple of minutes.

Mexico does issue Captain's Licenses and they are required when transporting paid passengers, as well as vessel annual inspections by the Mexican Navy and/or Port Captains.

Like most other Countries, you are required to be a Citizen to obtain a Captains license issued in Mexico. Some expats in Mexico, get around this by having their Mexican Spouses apply for the Captains License and then run the charter under the spouse's license.

One license you can obtain, is the Yachtmaster License, which is issued by the British. Many schools in the US offer this course. It is usually good for most chartering, like Moorings or Sunsail.

In the Commercial world, the Yachtmaster License is not as well accepted as other licenses for the purposes insurance, hauling paid passengers or Captaining large yachts. Because of this the large yacht companies and crew agencies tend to favor MCA.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:13   #28

That's exactly right, Jer., the MCA signs off on the Yachmaster, or did, but unless they are commercially endorsed, and even then, they are not considered equivalent to the MCA issued Merchant Mariners Document. I hold the MCA 3000-ton Chief Mate/200-ton Master Unlimited. This Master license is for all code vessels, not just yachts. I held the Yachtmaster before I applied for the 3000-ton Chief Mate, as it is a requirement. I also hold the USCG 100-ton, with upgrades pending to USCG 200-ton, and MCA 500-ton masters licenses.

The yachtmaster lost its luster more than five years ago when the RYA blew some inspections or was otherwise proven to be awarding licenses to unqualified applicants. International Yacht Training (IYT) then cut a deal with the MCA to continue proving this license under the name the Master of Yachts, so it would not be confused with the disqualified Yachtmaster. I'm told the RYA settled the matter in short order, and is now back in business. Most crew agencies look for Commercially endorsed Yachtmaster licenses.

However, as I understand it, as of January 2013, Mexico will allow foreigners with the new "temporary resident card", which replaced the FM3 work permit also in January 2013, to work as charter captains. I am in the midst of applying for the resident card and the equivalency license at this time, the latter is done in an afternoon, so I will know by the end of the year for certain. If anyone knows different, please speak up, but it's a new law, so be sure you have the latest info please.

Best,
James
Old 06-10-2013, 20:01   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvpcrui View Post
That's exactly right, Jer., the MCA signs off on the Yachmaster, or did, but unless they are commercially endorsed, and even then, they are not considered equivalent to the MCA issued Merchant Mariners Document.
Not entirely correct, at least in red flag jurisdictions or international waters. Per paras. 2.4 and 2.5 of the MCA's Merchant Shipping Notice 1802(M) ("Certificates of Competency: Yacht Deck Officers Training and Certification Guidance - Part A7"):

"The Master (Code vessels less than 200gt>) OOW (Yachts less than 500gt) CoCs are not mandatory. Seafarers serving in UK Code Vessels using MCA's recognized qualifications have found that some overseas Administrations do not recognize those qualifications. This is usually due to no reference to SCTW on the certificate. To overcome this problem holders of Yachtmaster Offshore and Yachtmaster Ocean certificates may apply to upgrade in a voluntary basis.

"The manning scales for Deck Officers to be carried in motor or sailing yachts and sail training vessels are laid down in Annex A. In considering these manning scales the Master (Code vessels less than 200gt limited to 150 miles from a safe haven) may be used instead of the Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate and the Master (Code Vessles less than 200gt unlimited area) instead of the Yachtmaster Ocean".

Quote:
I hold the MCA 3000-ton Chief Mate/200-ton Master Unlimited. This Master license is for all code vessels, not just yachts. I held the Yachtmaster before I applied for the 3000-ton Chief Mate, as it is a requirement.
I could well be wrong - I frequently am! - but it sounds very much like your Certificate was issued under MSN 1802(M). If so (?), the CM and Master endorsements will both be expressly limited to "commercially and privately operated yachts, and sail training vessels". Not that I mean to denigrate your qualifications or imply any disrespect.

Quote:
The yachtmaster lost its luster more than five years ago when the RYA blew some inspections or was otherwise proven to be awarding licenses to unqualified applicants.... I'm told the RYA settled the matter in short order, and is now back in business.
I am unaware of the RYA ever awarding undeserved Certificates or otherwise being found culpable by the MCA. To the best of my knowledge, the RYA has at no time lost its delegated powers from the MCA. If you have actual evidence to the contrary, please provide specifics.

Quote:
International Yacht Training (IYT) then cut a deal with the MCA to continue proving this license under the name the Master of Yachts, so it would not be confused with the disqualified Yachtmaster.
IYT has enjoyed delegated authority from the MCA since 1999, but it was - and remains - a competitor to, rather than a replacement for, the RYA. Further, IYT initially issued its certificates using the "disqualified (sic) Yachtmaster" designation but subsequently stopped doing so following trademark litigation. General background here:

(1) http://www.ibinews.com/auto/newsdesk...725cbnews.html

(2) http://www.thedailysail.com/general/...r-now-resolved

Anyway, this is all a bit arcane. Whatever RYA and IYT like to say, they are both recognized by the MCA, and the qualifications they issue on its behalf are equally valid.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 11:17   #30

Svenen,
Thank you for the update on RYA vs. IYT.

The following is an email from the MCA. The 200-ton license issued with the 3000-ton Chief Mate is not restricted to yachts, while the Chief Mate/OOW licenses are limited to yachts:

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email.

The term 'Coded Vessels' refers to:

a) UK vessels of up to 24m in load line length which are engaged at sea in activities on a commercial basis, which carry cargo and/or not more than 12 passengers, or provide a service in which neither cargo nor passengers are carried, or are UK pilot boats of whatever size; and

b) Comply with the Small Commercial Vessels and Pilot Boat (SCV) Code

MGN 280(M), see link below, contains the SCV Code text as an annex and advises how the standards of the SCV Code may be used in the context of vessels already coded or in the process of coding to the existing codes.

Further information can be found in Marine Guidance Notice (MGN) 280.
(http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/mgn_280-2.pdf)

Kind regards

Michael Gregson
Certification Officer
Deck & GMDSS Team
MCA
UK

Deck Team

Seafarer Training and Certification

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency

Tags
license