Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2013, 11:26   #31

Re: Mexican Boat License ?

Svanen,

My license is not 200/500, but 200/3000, and it does specifically identify STCW, "CERTIFICATE ISSUED UNDER THE PROVISIONS OF THE INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION ON STANDARDS OF TRAINING, CERTIFICATION AND WATCHKEEPING FOR SEAFARERS..."
Jvpcrui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 18:27   #32

Jvpcrui,

Interesting; thanks for the information.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 19:33   #33

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive been packing my Lics and indorsments with my boat papers and passports and crew lists for years, I believe that with one exception, and that was in French Poly, no officers has ever even taken a copy of them ! They sometimes look at them but thats about all . Can't hurt to have them tho ! Just our 2 cents
Old 17-10-2013, 20:02   #34

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

A separate issue that doesn't seem to have been brought up is your radio licenses, depending upon the equipment you have on board, i.e., your restricted radiotelephone operator's permit (or ham license for hams) and ship station license. I believe there are plenty of threads that cover this.
Old 24-10-2013, 04:51   #35

Svanen,
I met with an MCA official personally yesterday in Ft. Lauderdale, and as of January 2014 the Yachtmaster will no longer be interchangeable with the MCA 200 ton watch rating, because the latter will be a fully commercial license requiring a new set of courses prior to revalidation. The Yachtmaster is a pathway to the MCA watch ratings, which will no longer be yacht restricted but rather full Navigation Watch Ratings for any vessel under the red flag and able to get full equivalency in places like Vanuatu, etc. For work in shipping, etc.

James
Old 24-10-2013, 06:34   #36
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Just a note the action by the rya was to ensure it had access to the term Yachtmaster in the USA as IYT had trademarked it there. The judgement ruled it was generic in the uS thereby allowing AnY organisation to use the term. It was somewhat of a phyric victory for the RYA. subsequently the RYA then attempted to trademark the term in Europe , but calls are being made that as per the US judgement , its s generic term. Notably the Irish sail training association , uses the term yachtmaster as well.

There RYA yachtmaster qualification is widely recognised on the leisure industry , commercially endorsed it has significant value in the non commercial shipping arena, note that the commercially endorsed yM is actually a DoT / MCA qualification not specifically RYA.

Its a great entry qualification into superyachts etc and other non SOLAS. Vessels

Dave
Old 24-10-2013, 07:16   #37

True, and it is also a gateway to the MCA Navigation Watch ratings (OOW, Chief Mate, and Master 500 & 3000 ton).

Tags
license