Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2007, 09:11   #1

Boat: SWITCH 51 CATAMARAN - ZIA
New Ham Regs

I hear that the FCC has dropped the requirement for morse code proficiency for a General Ham license. Their timing is bad in that i passed my Technicians license and decided to go cruising before i could learn enough morse code to pass the test.

We are now in Spain and wintering in Barcelona on the boat - but i wonder if i could get my general license from here?

Is it possible to do this from Europe?

I have also heard that there are new bands available to technicians like myself -

Any info would be appreciated.

we are in Spain and bandwidth is a challenge but we can usually get emails.

Welcome to Zia Later!
joe@zialater.com

Thanks for any input

Joe
Old 02-02-2007, 10:07   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
We are now in Spain and wintering in Barcelona on the boat - but i wonder if i could get my general license from here?
I believe you can only sit for the test at an offical test location. The new regs go into place by the end of the month.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:55   #3

The new regs will comence on 23 FEB 2007. All tech, code or no code will have the same priviledges. Voice on 10m, CW on 15, 40 , 80 I think that's the lower bands.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 13:08   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Another piece of information to consider: We went to a seminar on HF at the Seattle show last weekend. The presenter said that the current test bank and tests are due to expire at the end of June '07. After that, he said that the test will become much longer and more difficult. His advice was, if you don't already have a license, to get one between 2/23/07 (when no code comes into effect) and 7/1/07, when the more difficult test comes into effect.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 13:26   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Joe, if you took and passed Element 3 (General) after Feb. 23, 2006 you can simply present the certificate to any VE session and pay another $14 and you'll be upgraded, without Element 1 (Morse).

If you only passed Element 2 (Tech) you will automatically be upgraded to "Tech Plus" privileges on Feb.23rd, although your license itself won't change.

ARRLWeb: ARRL Home Page has a number of links for exams and licensing. Bear in mind that between now and Feb. 23rd, even if you pass the General exam, you'll have to wait until then, and then take your certificate and another $14 to another VE exam in order to upgrade it without code. So...it's simpler and cheaper to wait till then.<G>

Yes, you can upgrade in Spain, or anyplace in the world. There isn't a LOT of activity, but VE sessions are held all over the world, often as a convenience for local servicemen and others, sometimes at local embassies. The ARRL should be a good contact to enquire further. If there are no VE sessions you can reach, you've got an excuse for a weekend back in the US.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote