Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2024, 15:14   #1

New to sailing and the right training

I haven't sailed in 30 years but am wanting to get back into it. I'm not looking to sail across the world, I would simply like to sail the SF Bay area and maybe up and down the California coast. Currently I don't have a boat but I'm not to particular about what I get, as long as it works. I just want something my son and I can enjoy the water on the weekends. I'm in a position now to financially afford the boat and am currently looking. My question is, do I have to go out and get ASA certified or can I just hire someone to teach me how to sail my boat.
Breed4522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 15:25   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: New to sailing and the right training

Hi, Breed4522, welcome aboard CF.

In your shoes what may fit best is to hire a skipper to help both you and your son with sailing skills. Interview 2 or 3, and don't pick the one with the greatest sales skills, but do pick the one with the best teaching/sailing skills. Or join one of the many of the Bay Area sailing clubs that has classes, and both of you take them, perhaps with different teachers, because the different inputs (even when class goals are the same) have some value for discussion, as well.

Ann
Old 08-04-2024, 15:29   #3

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breed4522 View Post
I would simply like to sail the SF Bay area and maybe up and down the California coast. Currently I don't have a boat but I'm not to particular about what I get,

My question is, do I have to go out and get ASA certified or can I just hire someone to teach me how to sail my boat.
The simple answer is that no "official" piece of paper is necessary, nor do you really need to "hire" anyone.
At whatever marina you keep the boat in there's bound to be some experienced guys who would go out for a day for beer and food.
A boat for as you described your usage?
Hard to beat a Catalina, bazillions of them in Ca., strong factory/owner group support and not hard to sell when that time comes.
Old 08-04-2024, 15:46   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I second Bowdrie's advice, and also recommend as always to buy an older, smaller boat, maybe something like a Catalina 30. Big enough to go places and stay overnight, and fun to sail, but small enough to be much easier to learn on.
Old 09-04-2024, 11:54   #5

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Just get out and meet people with boats. The Latitude 38 crew list is a good place to start. Classes mean nothing compared to just getting out there. I have had crew that were through several classes and said that they learned more in on day out on the bay with me than anything they got out of the class, except for a lighter wallet.

PM me if you want to get out on the water. My Pearson 30 is in Marin.

I have a 44' ocean boat that I am getting ready to cruise, so one boat too many now. I will be selling my Pearson 30, you can try it out.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 18:18   #6

Boat: Douglas 32, duh...32'

Ahoy Breed4522:
Bowdrie is correct: NO "certification" necessary if you're just going sailing for pleasure.

BUT: Getting insurance might be easier/cheaper if you have taken some courses.
Call around to insurance agents and ask.

(I'm not sure about this, so wait and see if others respond to my suggestion. )
Enfant Du Vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 18:32   #7

Boat: Antares GS

Lucky you. Spend as much time with kids as they will allow.

I sent my entire family to a sailing school during spring break. It was not great weather but they did it. That was a mistake. None of them sail, but they are busy with their lives and sailing may one day be something they enjoy. At least they were exposed to it

Definitely take ASA or something like that. Make it a positive experience. Seek out chances to race and maybe cruise with nice folks. Local marinas in the
Chesapeake bay have relaxed evening racing events. Low intensity but competitive.

Concerning boats. They are a HUGE compromise. I have a sailing catamaran that is great for living on but is a slow ride. Good luck balancing requirements and expectations.
TwoFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, training