Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2017, 17:29   #1

Boat: island trader ketch
new to sailing liscenses needed?

hello all , have finally bought my 42 ketch after 25 years dreaming about it . my question is and I have been reading about coast guard boarding and inspections . I would like to know what I may be missing as I plan to sail my boat to florida from Baltimore in the spring . I have read about radio operation liscense .not sure what that is or the requirements are. I have the boat on dry storage until april doing a new navigation system ,stove and refridgeration . I have just over 3 months before I plan to set out and am considering a sailing class at a sailing school in fla . any insight would be greatly appreciated
capnd1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 17:51   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: new to sailing liscenses needed?

No radio station license for the boat or restricted permit for you needed if you do not communicate with foreign stations or travel to foreign ports.

FCC: Wireless Services: Ship Radio Stations: Licensing
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 20:16   #3

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
No radio station license for the boat or restricted permit for you needed if you do not communicate with foreign stations or travel to foreign ports.

FCC: Wireless Services: Ship Radio Stations: Licensing
VHF only.

You don't legally require a boating licence. Getting insurance can be problematic for some.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 21:00   #4

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

You don't need a Ship Station License, if you don't go International.

You don't need a VHF Radio Operators Permit unless you are carrying passenger for hire.

You would need an Operator's License (HAM License) if you are going to use a Marine SSB/HAM Radio.

You will need to register the VHF Digital Selective Calling MMSI number. If you are not going international, then you can register it with BoatUS here: https://www.boatus.com/mmsi/

Before you leave Florida it would not hurt to get a USCG Auxiliary Vessel Safety Inspection. They will check for everything you need on your vessel and give you a sticker if you pass, which may or may not keep you from getting boarded. The USCG Aux Site is located here: USCGAUX: Vessel Safety Checks

Also here is a PDF Pamphlet with everything you are reuired to carry on a vessel over 39 feet... https://www.uscgboating.org/images/420.PDF

Most people don't now or forget about the Waste Management Letter for boats over 39 feet... Here is a sample of the letter: http://www.safeguardmarine.com/image...ement_plan.pdf

Finally, you didn't say where in Florida, but we have some excellent sailing schools down here.... I would stick to the US Sailing Schools, but I am prejudiced since I used to teach with them. Here is a link for them: http://www.sailingcertification.net/

Hope that helps..

Good Luck!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 22:11   #5
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. You would need an Operator's License (HAM License) if you are going to use a Marine SSB/HAM Radio.
You sure about that...?

Last time I checked one could use a Marine SSB without the HAM license.
Old 21-01-2017, 22:15   #6

Boat: J/42

A ham license is not needed for SSB. Only a Ship's Station License and a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's License, both of which are fee-only tickets that can be purchased on line. If SSB is not already on the boat, don't worry about it for coastal cruising.

Depending on the state(s) in which you are operating, you may need an operators license which is basic safety and rules of the road course, and can usually be done on-line. You should probably do this anyway. If you take a sailing course like an ASA basic keelboating, you get this as part of the course.

Indiana? Noob? Have you watched "Chasing Bubbles?"
https://youtu.be/ibP5IQxId34
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 08:14   #7

Boat: Former Privilege 48

Really,

You bought a 42 foot ketch and feel you need sail lessons.

Best of Luck
Mrfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 08:46   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish View Post
Really,

Best of Luck

Three years ago I bought a 38' Cutter. Never sailed before and so far have never taken a lesson.
So far, so good, just realize your limitations, as much as possible stay within them, and don't be too proud to ask for help if you need it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 09:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnd1964 View Post
hello all , have finally bought my 42 ketch after 25 years dreaming about it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish View Post
Really,

Best of Luck

a64 is right, although I am somewhat surprised that through 25 years of dreaming it appears you may have not done your research and homework to abe able to answer this question yourself, regardless of sailing lessons.

One of the better How To sail books, discussed hundreds of times on this and other sailing forums is Sailing for Dummies, a truly well done book.

Another valuable resource is the West Marine Advisors:

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...visor-Articles

Good advice in the other replies.

Good luck, safe journey.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 10:25   #10
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

If the Boat does not have SSB on it already, I would wait a long time before considering that purchase. The cost, modem, and the installation and not trivial. The HAM licenses are the least of your worries.
Old 22-01-2017, 10:33   #11

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

As noted, you do not need a license for your VHF is you plan to operate it only in US waters. The FCC will give you a Restricted Radiotelephone license for free (no test, too) that is good for life. That is issued to you and will cover you in most international situations. Technically some countries have a higher requirement (read test), but in reality, you can usually get away with the Restricted Radiotelephone license. A VHF radio is all you need to go from FL to MD, allowing you to get weather, talk to other boats and to bridge tenders. To use the VHF distress function you will need a MMSI number. You can get a free one from BOAT US, but it is not recognized internationally. You may not be thinking of Bahamas now, but if you do go there or Canada, you will need a FCC issued MMSI I can't recall if there is a charge, but you might as well spring for it now if you think you will ever go outside US waters. Why now? Well, if you end up getting a FCC-issued MMSI, you will have to have your radio re-programmed with the FCC number. Sometimes you can do it--sometimes not, meaning you ship it off to the dealer. With the FCC MMSI, you will also get a call sign. I'm not sure if technically one is supposed to use it when hailing, but no one does. Everyone uses the boat's name. But you will have one and it is internationally recognized.

If your ketch comes with a SSB, you will need a ship station license in your name. No test, but a hefty fee, but good for 10 years. On application, the FCC will assign you a call sign/MMSI if you do not have one, so this will kill several birds with one stone. You cannot transfer an existing station license if there is one on your boat for a SSI. Uncle wants you to pony up a new fee. The station license is good for international sue.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 10:36   #12
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Three years ago I bought a 38' Cutter. Never sailed before and so far have never taken a lesson.
So far, so good, just realize your limitations, as much as possible stay within them, and don't be too proud to ask for help if you need it.
My first boat was a 44' Bermuda Yawl, never sailed before and never owned a boat before and never took sailing lessons.

Pretty basic stuff: You buy a chart, note where the reefs and rocks are on the chart, then stay away from the reefs and the rocks.
As for sailing, I learned by motoring out in deep water,, put a small sail up, then see what happens. Put another sail up and then see what happens again.
Had to ask somebody what reeking meant, then asked how to do it.
(Make sail smaller, aha, got it.)
I was young and had balls then, that helped.
Not sure I can recommend the same approach to everybody, but if you go slow and use common sense, it should be okay. I guess.
Old 22-01-2017, 12:13   #13

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC View Post
As noted, you do not need a license for your VHF is you plan to operate it only in US waters.
So far I have seen five or six people say this but I have yet to see someone say what you need if you don't plan to operate only in US Waters. I've never heard of anyone having to do something special for their VHF.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 13:13   #14
Marine Service Provider

The US Coast Guard doesn't care and doesn't issue recreational licenses. You may be referring to state issued operator's "permits" or "incenses". You can get one free on the BoatUS website.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 19:01   #15

Some boat operators without experience are successful. Most are not.
Most of them DO survive.

Accept all the boat rides you are offered.
Watch all the captains, copy the smooth ones.

Good luck.
Redpcx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing