Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2008, 12:59   #1

Newbie Looking for Advice . . . Trip to Mexico

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and have never sailed before. The only experience with the water is from kiteboarding and windsurfing.

Tommorrow will be my first trip just a short overnighter to some local islands.

I live in Vancouver,BC and have a friend with a 1979 formosa 51' who is planning a trip to southern mexico for aug.

He has had his boat for 5 years and is currently uprgading electronics and doing maintainance for the trip.He is also taking it offsore for some trials.

He has had experience in local waters but no major trips like this.

I would like to join him, but would like some advice regarding
Safety, Experience, Boat Issues, Navigation,Weather and well just about anything you may offer before i make my decision.

Thanks,
Tadman
Tadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 22:33   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Wow - Hi Tadman. I am surprised no one has jumped in on this one. What a wonderful opportunity you have infront of you.

If he has had the boat for 5 years I expect he is completely familiar with her systems and integrity. He is probably not a dummy and has considered this carefully.

Crew - Has he considered bringing along someone with open water experience? How many total crew is he planning? What is his plan for watch schedules. What is the average experience of the crew? Minimum number of people on deck per watch? Will the crew sail together before launching? How well do they know each other?

Navigation - is he navigating by GPS? If so haw many backup units? Bringing charts? Where is he planning ports of call?

Radios & Communications - VHF? SSB? Radar? Weather fax?

Boat - Life raft? Dinghy? Lifelines & harnesses? Rigging in good shape? Spare sails? Storm sails? Flares? Medical kit & someone who knows how to use it? Emergency plan?

Provisions - Anyone know how to cook? Who will cook? What other duties does the cook have? What are the rules around alcohol? Drugs? "Joiners" from shore?

Expenses - Who pays for what?

Are you also planning a return trip? The trip down will be easier than the trip back I expect.

Probably a bunch of other stuff but this is a good start I expect.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 22:58   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadman View Post
<snip>

I live in Vancouver,BC and have a friend with a 1979 formosa 51' who is planning a trip to southern mexico for aug.

He has had his boat for 5 years and is currently uprgading electronics and doing maintainance for the trip.He is also taking it offsore for some trials.

He has had experience in local waters but no major trips like this.
<snip>
I'm guessing you mean he intends to leave Vancouver, BC in August, with southern Mexico the planned destination sometime thereafter. Personally, I wouldn't want to be in southern Mexico in August, but if I didn't get there until, say, November, I'd love it.

If you manage to get south of Point Conception by September, then meander down toward San Diego by late October, you could join the Baja Ha-Ha for the sail to Cabo - lots of fun for all concerned. Many of those who do the Ha-Ha then either head on down to Banderas Bay for more fun and games before the slog back up the coast, or jump offshore for the Marquesas/Tuamotus/Tahiti/Mo'orea/Bora Bora/Huahine/Raiatea, and points south.

Dan (Ex-Cal) has given you a lot to think about, and it's just a start. If you're one of the most inexperienced crew aboard, be certain that there are plenty of others with solid experience. If you're one of the most experienced crew aboard, well, give the whole proposition very careful consideration before you commit to the undertaking.

TaoJones
Old 16-06-2008, 22:00   #4

thanks

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

Looks like i have a lot of work to do....

I'm going to start looking into things...

Tadman
Tadman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico