Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2013, 02:54   #16

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Non US for USCG License

straitscrew, there are many USCG licensed officers and large vessel operators/owners on this forum. They may have insight that even you might find valuable. This forum runs across all strata of folks here, no need to exclude someone.
Old 26-02-2013, 15:38   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by straitscrew View Post
This is a Cruisers forum and as such most users of this forum are owners or aspiring owners of 'small' yachts.
If you want to discuss merchant marine qualifications I am sure there is a forum for that somewhere?

Im sorry but this is wat forums are there for right, if you cannot answer or join in the conversation why bother reading it and leaving a message like that, I feel that there are to many people here are just here to argue and leave there opinion, its a shame. so boo to you and all the other complainers!
And I am also a recreational sailor and diveinstructor and like being on this forum
richardswart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 15:41   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardswart View Post

Im sorry but this is wat forums are there for right, if you cannot answer or join in the conversation why bother reading it and leaving a message like that, I feel that there are to many people here are just here to argue and leave there opinion, its a shame. so boo to you and all the other complainers!
And I am also a recreational sailor and diveinstructor and like being on this forum
Correct Richard , just ignore the trolls. All they do is live under bridges.

Dave
Old 26-02-2013, 15:59   #19

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Correct Richard , just ignore the trolls. All they do is live under bridges.

Dave
+ 1
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 16:13   #20

find this very interesting because i hold a second hand full skippers ticket and is around the same as a class 4 merchant except for the fact my ticket is for non-cargo and is for the fishing industry but lets me be master of any size fishing vessel in the northern hemisphere and first mate in the southern would love to know how it would hold up around the world on anything other than a fishing boat? just be allowed to do this ticket you needed 2 years of sea time logged before they let you study for it.
Old 27-02-2013, 00:38   #21

nagrom snoyl, interesting signature, I have the same thing on a bumper sticker on my van.
Old 27-02-2013, 09:56   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagrom snoyl View Post
find this very interesting because i hold a second hand full skippers ticket and is around the same as a class 4 merchant except for the fact my ticket is for non-cargo and is for the fishing industry but lets me be master of any size fishing vessel in the northern hemisphere and first mate in the southern would love to know how it would hold up around the world on anything other than a fishing boat? just be allowed to do this ticket you needed 2 years of sea time logged before they let you study for it.
How did you get your seatime together and where? Im currently working on a cruiseship
Old 27-02-2013, 09:59   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
nagrom snoyl, interesting signature, I have the same thing on a bumper sticker on my van.
well if you get bored of it you can take it of your van , its on my skin forever along with alot of other nautical stuff once im north up the person behind me can use me to navigate with
Old 27-02-2013, 10:03   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardswart View Post
How did you get your seatime together and where? Im currently working on a cruiseship
born and bread on fishing boats so it wasent hard to have enough sea time up at a young age, just needed the skippers of the boats i have worked on to sign of on it for me
Old 27-02-2013, 10:04   #25

I like the one for our town "Homer, a quaint little drinking village with a fishing problem." If I were to take the sticker off my van there would be nothing left to hold the rust on.
Old 27-02-2013, 10:19   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I like the one for our town "Homer, a quaint little drinking village with a fishing problem." If I were to take the sticker off my van there would be nothing left to hold the rust on.
yeah we have more or less the same saying in my wee port of carrigaholt on the west coast of ireland.. on another note nice boat you have there
Old 27-02-2013, 10:22   #27

Thanks, once I cast the lines off for good, I might have to swing by for a visit. I have always fancied a visit to Erin, just don't have the time right now.
Old 27-02-2013, 10:27   #28
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Richard-
See Admissions Overview | U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
The United States Merchant Marine Academy happens to be located outside the former New Amsterdam, but from what they post you would not even be able to be considered unless you were a resident alien for some time first, so that your local Congressional Representative could write a nomination for you. As I recall, that type of nomination is recommended or required for all of the "service" academies.

You might find the same employment opportunities after attending the State University of New York Maritime College http://www.sunymaritime.edu/ which is actually located about two miles away from the USMMA.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 10:00   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Richard-
See Admissions Overview | U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
The United States Merchant Marine Academy happens to be located outside the former New Amsterdam, but from what they post you would not even be able to be considered unless you were a resident alien for some time first, so that your local Congressional Representative could write a nomination for you. As I recall, that type of nomination is recommended or required for all of the "service" academies.

You might find the same employment opportunities after attending the State University of New York Maritime College http://www.sunymaritime.edu/ which is actually located about two miles away from the USMMA.
Thanks for the usefull information! I will need to look into this some more!
definitely interesting

Tags
license