Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2019, 21:16   #16

Boat: between boats
Re: One for the Aussies - Recreation Skippers Ticket

Ive got the wa skippers ticket after i transferred my QLD boat licence across for i think $50 from memory. I was able to use the QLD licence for up to 6 months but after that they insisted i got the local version.

yeah they arent worth much but i reckon its more a case of the course style being in 1 ear and out the other 24 hours later after passing the test.

For clarity these are recognised by overseas authorities and insurance cos when on Australian flagged boats. For other flags you need to comply with that particular flags requirements which is where things like the ICC have some use.

Here in Australia an ICC is stupidly expensive to get compared to elsewhere though. You can get them overseas for about $100.

If you actually need to learn some stuff as opposed to just have a bit of paper for an official then the RYA courses are pretty good for novices and they will get you the ICC for a smallish extra fee.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 06:06   #17

Boat: Samson C-Duece. 45 Feet

Hi. Re: RST. My brother flies light aircraft He was thinking about getting an endorsement for sea planes. He was told he needs to get a RST, because once the sea plane lands on water, it then becomes a vessel. I think you just need a RST for a yacht. I have held one for years and have gone from an RL24 with 7.5 hp, to a 45' Samson ketch with 108hp. So I think that is all you need.
Have fun.
Leggless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 17:32   #18

Boat: Spacesailer

I have the SA Boat Operator's Permit. Doesn't take much to get but at least I did a basic seamanship course through the Volunteer Coast Guard first.
MartinAdelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 19:06   #19

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

When I insured my boat in Queensland they asked me my boating history, when I said I haven't sailed before they asked me if I would be prepared to do training if they asked, I said yes and they issued my policy and never asked me to do any training. I have done a couple of courses since but they didn't offer much benefit. I have learnt much more from this forum combined with getting out on your boat and experiment, also joined a race crew which gets you sailing every week.

Fun fact, my half day marine licence entitles me to captain any size and type of vessel for private use. I could buy a container ship, register it as a recreational vessel and ricochet way way up and down the coast.
Old 25-06-2019, 19:33   #20

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Fun fact, my half day marine licence entitles me to captain any size and type of vessel for private use. I could buy a container ship, register it as a recreational vessel and ricochet way way up and down the coast.
Ulp! You've got me really worried about my safety on the water, Dave_S.

But let's correct the nonsense first:

In those QLD waters designated as Pilotage Waters, a vessel over 50 metres (even if registered for recreational use) has must carry either:

(a) a licensed marine pilot; or

(b) a person holding a Pilotage Exemption Certificate for that area.

Where are the designated Pilotage Waters?

Most every port. See: https://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Shipping/Pilotage-areas

Precisely for that reason, local manufacturers of boats for the newly rich to show off their lack of understanding of reality limit themselves to making vessels that are below 50 metres in LOA.
Old 26-06-2019, 17:46   #21

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Ulp! You've got me really worried about my safety on the water, Dave_S.

But let's correct the nonsense first:

In those QLD waters designated as Pilotage Waters, a vessel over 50 metres (even if registered for recreational use) has must carry either:

(a) a licensed marine pilot; or

(b) a person holding a Pilotage Exemption Certificate for that area.

Where are the designated Pilotage Waters?

Most every port. See: https://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Shipping/Pilotage-areas

Precisely for that reason, local manufacturers of boats for the newly rich to show off their lack of understanding of reality limit themselves to making vessels that are below 50 metres in LOA.
No nonsense in my comment, you could do it. :-)
Old 28-06-2019, 21:00   #22

Boat: Jeanneau NC11, 11m

In a similar place, power boater, but have sailed 30 years ago a lot.

I did RYA course in Melb, both day and coastal skipper 5 day live aboard and yacht master theory. I was going to do competent crew but they looked at my experience and said don’t bother. www.yachmaster.com.au are fantastic.

I would need to do a lot more sailing to have enough “ logged” miles to do Yachmaster coastal including night passages.

Great confidence booster and a lot learnt about tides etc. Boat handling skills increased and even though I am a power boater it’s all relevant. If the wind is right I’m quite happy to single hand now.
blazing928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 19:47   #23

Angry Re: One for the Aussies - Recreation Skippers Ticket

i can tell you the cost of not having a skippers ticket .. in Bunbury .. $220.00 my hubby had just got his fishing boat up and running and wanted to take it out for a quick fish, he'd been doing it up for ages... then bam the water cops pulled him over and did him for no skippers ticket ... and they don't listen to what , if's , but's , but sir ... nuttin... so yeah it's worth the paper it's written on for getting caught without it ..
SanRhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 21:45   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanRhea View Post
i can tell you the cost of not having a skippers ticket .. in Bunbury .. $220.00 my hubby had just got his fishing boat up and running and wanted to take it out for a quick fish, he'd been doing it up for ages... then bam the water cops pulled him over and did him for no skippers ticket ... and they don't listen to what , if's , but's , but sir ... nuttin... so yeah it's worth the paper it's written on for getting caught without it ..
Yep, same happened to one of my brothers. He'd been boating for years before they brought in the West Australian RST, reckoned he didn't need one, waste of time, waste of money blah blah blah, until he got nikked that is

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 23:12   #25

Boat: Catalina 42

It’s straight forward to do and once you have that credit card like license you have it for life...just do it!
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 03:47   #26
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanRhea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Yep, same happened to one of my brothers. He'd been boating for years before they brought in the West Australian RST, reckoned he didn't need one, waste of time, waste of money blah blah blah, until he got nikked that is
Another "got nicked" tale .
I did the WA RST though some training provider and we did the practical aspects on his small half cabin trailer power boat. It was dark as we returned to the ramp and when he flicked on the nav lights, the white forward facing light was missing. When I queried this, the instructor dismissed the question with a simple "its not required". I knew this was BS and assumed he knew this also so I shut up - he was the instructor after all!

At the ramp, the Fisheries and Water Cops came up and asked the same question to which he gave the same answer. As they wrote up the ticket, they mentioned most would get a caution but an RST provider should know better - the ticket would be a reminder...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skipper