Re: Questions about USCG Captain's License

Take the class ;-)
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:25   #32

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDewDude View Post

The inland demarcation line, is the 25 mile line or?

Also I'm trying to get my sailing endorsement, does that entail much more besides logged sailing time?
Google COLREGS line. You need to know this for your exams anyway.

Sea time must be logged on a USCG Sea Service form (available on their web site). Form normally must be signed by owner or owners rep.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 05:34   #33

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

Quote:
Haha I am an American, I just see that's how it's spelt online and I'm a chump.

Also you say 360 days, but for the 100 ton =P do you need to have been on a certain sized vessel for sometime? I was on a 27 ton sailboat for 150 days.

Also I'm trying to get my sailing endorsement, does that entail much more besides logged sailing time?

I always encourage anyone to get the biggest license the USCG will allow them to get. I passed my upgrade to 1600t Oceans without a school so it's entirely possible.

As far as the Inland/Near Coastal or would be exceptionally rare for them to be 25 miles off shore. Far more often it's at an arbitrary point near the harbor/sound/ bay entrance. Just look at a chart for the Colregs line in magenta and you'll see is limiting an inland license can be.
Old 22-04-2017, 08:27   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

The COLREG line is just arbitrary, there is no good rule of thumb.

For instance the Huey P Long bridge north of New Orleans is the demarcation line from Colregs/Waterways on the Mississippi River. If I remember right it's around 45 miles upriver.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:16   #35

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
The COLREG line is just arbitrary, there is no good rule of thumb.

For instance the Huey P Long bridge north of New Orleans is the demarcation line from Colregs/Waterways on the Mississippi River. If I remember right it's around 45 miles upriver.
The Huey P Long bridge is the demarkaction line between Inland and Western Rivers. The International and Inland line starts just offshore of the SW buoy at Southwest
Pass.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:05   #36

Smile Re: Questions about USCG Captain's License

Hi all, I'm a first time poster.

My question is about the medical part of these licenses. I unfortunately suffer from kidney failure, and am awaiting an upcoming transplant. Would this cause me to fail the medical evaluation for the USCG 100 ton license?

While I'm happy to do all the learning there is to do, I'd hate to go to the expense of training for a license I can never achieve due to health concerns. Can anyone shed some insight as to what would disqualify someone medically?
Old 10-01-2018, 10:47   #37

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPanic View Post

My question is about the medical part of these licenses. I unfortunately suffer from kidney failure, and am awaiting an upcoming transplant. Would this cause me to fail the medical evaluation for the USCG 100 ton license?

While I'm happy to do all the learning there is to do, I'd hate to go to the expense of training for a license I can never achieve due to health concerns. Can anyone shed some insight as to what would disqualify someone medically?
A friend is upping his
commercial AB license. Seven Drs. later and taking an open book test. Now his may be age related at 78? I'm not sure a hundred ton ticket is that strict since a hundred ton is small. Call the CG.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 14:22   #38

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Aspen

As per a USCG letter from the Commanding Officer, U.S Coast Guard National Maritime Center in West Virginia that I received on August 30, 2018:
"To meet tonnage requirements for Master 100 GRT Near Coastal, you must provide a total of 180 days of service on vessels of 51 GRT or above, or 360 days of service on vessels over 34 GRT."

Best of luck!

Quote:
Haha I am an American, I just see that's how it's spelt online and I'm a chump.

Also you say 360 days, but for the 100 ton =P do you need to have been on a certain sized vessel for sometime? I was on a 27 ton sailboat for 150 days.

SVAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 03:32   #39

Quote:

My guess would be yes it is likely to disqualify you.
I'm not a medical professional so just a guess. I am also not American so not so familiar with American rules.

Its supposed to be on an individual case by case basis rather than a blanket denial. The situation may change after a transplant.

Also depends on new entrant or existing qualification. As a new entrant they are less likely to be flexible.
It is possible in some circumstances for a restricted medical to be issued. EG restrictions to inland or near coastal. Or tonnage. A common one is must carry 2 pairs of glasses.

The only way to know is to contact CG and provide information from your doctor about your particular circumstances.

The process here (Canada) is probably similar. The Supreme Court Of Canada told TC no blanket denials for medication or illness. It must be case by case. I don't know if this question has reached US Supreme court or If the Canadian decision would make a difference.

The first step anyone should take if considering a professional career.
Go take the medical with an approved Doctor. The Doctor will tell you if there is any problems.

The obvious right no of all the bits and pieces your supposed to have and they work. Unaided sight and hearing and pass a color test. (some exceptions you can or at least could request a Lantern test. It is possible for some color blind people to pass this test)

You will have to tell them about any existing medical conditions and medication you are taking.

For most people with a clean medical there is no problem. For some people some of the information you give may be a problem.

If this causes a problem. The Doctor will tell you. Some times the local Doctor may give you a medical. Which is sent to the Chief Medical Examiner for approval.

Occasionally it may not be approved. The Local Doctor or Chief Medical Examiner declines to issue a medical or request further info before issuing a medical.

There is an appeal process. You can appeal the decision.

While on dialysis waiting for a transplant? Chances not good.

After a successful transplant I suspect it will still be difficult. It will depend on what your Doctors Can tell CG Doctors to assure them you will be fit enough to carry out the duties required and not be put unnecessarily at risk by being to far away from assistance.

Getting a completely unrestricted medical may not be possible. A restricted one might be. I would be more confident if you were in the industry prior to your current illness.

Best to get the answer prior to starting any courses.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 21:47   #40

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:

The only medical condition that will fail you for sure is color blindness...most other issues have more discretionary leeway as I understand it.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 10:45   #41

HIGHLY recommend you use a commercial school from the standpoint of the NAVRULS test. The USCG NAVRULS test has numerous answers that are clearly wrong. You can only protest the USCG test if you miss only one question, which is ridiculous. You should be able to protest any question now matter how many you miss. Protest one question for which the answer was clearly wrong, never heard a word from the CG and it's been four years. 100T Master with aux sail and commercial towing endorsements.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 15:57   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:

I would recommend you go and get the medical exam from an approved clinic first.
This way you will know before you spend a lot of money.

Google the following and download them
1. USCG Form CG-719K (Application for Medical Certificate)
2. USCG Form CG-719P (Drug Test Form)

Google concentra Merchant Mariner
This company does the required medical and drug tests.
find a local concentra clinic.
Warning not all concentra clinics know how to fill out the USCG forms.
Please check with the local clinic first.
Only go to a clinic that knows how to fill out the USCG forms.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:47   #43

Only go to a clinic that does drug tests to DOT standards.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 10:07   #44

Boat: Sabre 402 - 40'

Hi All,
I'm filling out the "small vessel sea service" form 719-S.
It has a place for me to put in Average distance from shore.
I had 235 days at sea completing a circumnavigation. Does anyone have an idea on how this should be answered? I contacted the USCG doc center via chat. They directed me to my local USCG sector. Based on my contact with those folks before I am not sure they will be any help. I'd be interested in the groupthink here.
Thanks,
Sam
samoorelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 10:14   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

LOL- I would put “More than 50 see attached sheet.” Then explain the passages you did on the circumnavigation. A.so attach your log and a link to your tracker (if you had one). Did that on my last renewal and even though I was missing 2 contracts it sailed through.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, license