Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 08:54   #31

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: RYA Day Skipper Certificate

Zonker

Interesting you should post a link to a danish site about the three yachtsmen who just lost their lives in the biscay. Do you speak danish? If not, then the reason they capsized and lost their lives was piss poor seamanship and even worse judgement. They bought a trimaran which was not designed for open ocean sailing, then rhey set out across the bisacy when weather conditions were reported as "gale to storm". I've not been on the biscay in those conditions but have been informed by people who have that you don't ever want to do that. Never ever.

Sailing around britain in the winter is akin to those three. A total lack of judgement, not to mention piss poor seamanship.

But you seem to insist, let us know where to send the flowers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 18:06   #32
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Zonker you may be aptly named if you consider such a autumn/winter voyage. Especially since you say you haven" zero" ocean sailing experience.

As to training . As a former instructor I would not agree that the Day skipper is not a valuable cert. it's a 5 day on water course and covers a lot of ground. More then enough for a beginner.

After that I'd suggest ignoring yacht master coastal, just go mile building over time to get enough to do the YM offshore exam. It helps to do the shore based course as well . I would recommend a weeks YM exam prep course, with the exam immediately after that.

BUT. Take your time mile building. Doing it all in one go misses the point. The issue is to build experience. Try different environments , different boats etc. what the examiner is looking for is can you skipper a boat , not that you can reel of information. This is what many forget. You need experience of command and exposure to lots of different sailing environments.

pS don't go round Scotland in the winter. I'd prefer not to hear about you on the news.

Dave
Old 07-10-2012, 19:22   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Zonker you may be aptly named if you consider such a autumn/winter voyage. Especially since you say you haven" zero" ocean sailing experience.

As to training . As a former instructor I would not agree that the Day skipper is not a valuable cert. it's a 5 day on water course and covers a lot of ground. More then enough for a beginner.

After that I'd suggest ignoring yacht master coastal, just go mile building over time to get enough to do the YM offshore exam. It helps to do the shore based course as well . I would recommend a weeks YM exam prep course, with the exam immediately after that.

BUT. Take your time mile building. Doing it all in one go misses the point. The issue is to build experience. Try different environments , different boats etc. what the examiner is looking for is can you skipper a boat , not that you can reel of information. This is what many forget. You need experience of command and exposure to lots of different sailing environments.

pS don't go round Scotland in the winter. I'd prefer not to hear about you on the news.

Dave
Dave - thanks for your input.

I have planned to do a Baltic Sea and a Round-Britain trip during the next 2 years (excluding winter months ... :-) ... My original plan was to do first the Baltic Sea trip since it is said to be much easier.

But most likely I will buy a cat in the UK and also register there (remember the UK registering / VAT thread ... :-) ... That is why I thought I could just start the Round-Britain trip right on.

Yea ... even during the summer months, seems UK waters are pretty challenging. So most likely I will stick with my original plan.
Zonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 09:48   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Interesting you should post a link to a danish site about the three yachtsmen who just lost their lives in the biscay. Do you speak danish? If not, then the reason they capsized and lost their lives was piss poor seamanship and even worse judgement. They bought a trimaran which was not designed for open ocean sailing, then rhey set out across the bisacy when weather conditions were reported as "gale to storm". I've not been on the biscay in those conditions but have been informed by people who have that you don't ever want to do that. Never ever.
A great (true) sea story about transiting the Bay of Biscay in horrid weather is The Boats of Cherbourg by Abraham Rabinovich.

I wish Zonker luck in his sailing and wonder how he's doing.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 13:26   #35

He is doing well and enjoying winter sailing ... :-)

Oh and he just finished the YM theory exam this week.
Old 18-01-2013, 13:28   #36

Congratulations!
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 07:36   #37

My question is can a non-us citizen get a USCG Captains license and whats the best way to do this?
Thanks and sorry for changing the subject! :-)
richardswart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 07:43   #38
Nearly an old salt

I beleive that the OUPV ( 6 pack ) can be made available to non-US citizens, but I think you have to be a resident.( ie Social Security No.) All higher form of certs require citizenship

The USCG Merchant qualifications are part of the IMO recognised merchant marine worldwide qualifications, normally you do them in your own national colleges,

I presume you have the required sea time.

Dave
Old 25-02-2013, 07:46   #39
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
He is doing well and enjoying winter sailing ... :-)

Oh and he just finished the YM theory exam this week.
When you going to do the real YM exam, any plans yet.
Old 25-02-2013, 11:18   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
When you going to do the real YM exam, any plans yet.
As you can imagine, as a Day Skipper candidate, I have not a lot of practical experience (in tidal waters). But I will be basically living on the boat and travelling/sailing during the next 2 years in Europe. After that period, I hope that I am "examinable" for the YM Coastal. That is my "short term" goal ... :-)
Old 05-03-2013, 15:09   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
As you can imagine, as a Day Skipper candidate, I have not a lot of practical experience (in tidal waters). But I will be basically living on the boat and travelling/sailing during the next 2 years in Europe. After that period, I hope that I am "examinable" for the YM Coastal. That is my "short term" goal ... :-)
As good a goal as any.
A couple of advantages of the RYA day skipper if sailing in UK.

The UK is ISLA system A which is unmentioned by CYA or many other N. American sailing courses. Ithink RYA covers both A and B at least it does at higher levels.

Also UK tide tables will be taught in day skipper and they are the ones you will need sailing round the UK.

Add UK weather forcast areas.

good luck with your voyage.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skipper