Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 02:22   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Oydssey 40.3
RYA Day Skipper in Europe

I would like to get the necessary RYA certifications for the future purpose of renting a sailboat in Greece (for 1-2 weeks holidays).
From my understanding the RYA Day Skipper is good enough for most charter companies in Greece.
My sailing experience is very limited, I've been on a one week sailing vacation on a Bavaria 46, last year, in Lefkada, Greece (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nce-90438.html). The skipper, seeing my enthusiasm, showed me a couple of things, and let me sail the boat for many hours.
I have quite a few questions:

1. Is the RYA Day Skipper certification sufficient to rent boats in Greece?
2. Would you say the RYA Day Skipper practical course is sufficient in order to handle myself for a 1 week vacation on a small sailboat? Do you have any advice on this topic?
3. Can I start with the RYA Day Skipper, or do I need the Competent Crew before-hand. If possible, I would prefer to skip the Competent Crew course, and go straight to Day Skipper.
4. Should I take the Day Skipper shorebased course beforehand? Is it possible to do the course online?
5. What are some of the best and most recommended RYA schools in Europe? Are all the RYA schools courses held in English - even those in Spain, Greece etc?
5. Do I need the ICC too? Can I skip it for now? The problem with the ICC is that I am restricted to take the exam in my country.
6. Could you recommend me some books or other resources in order to prepare for the Day Skipper practical course?

Thanks in advance!!!

PS: I posted this topic a second time. Not sure if someone deleted it the first time. I didn't get any message.
Elcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:56   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcid View Post
I would like to get the necessary RYA certifications for the future purpose of renting a sailboat in Greece (for 1-2 weeks holidays).
From my understanding the RYA Day Skipper is good enough for most charter companies in Greece.
My sailing experience is very limited, I've been on a one week sailing vacation on a Bavaria 46, last year, in Lefkada, Greece (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nce-90438.html). The skipper, seeing my enthusiasm, showed me a couple of things, and let me sail the boat for many hours.
I have quite a few questions:

1. Is the RYA Day Skipper certification sufficient to rent boats in Greece?
2. Would you say the RYA Day Skipper practical course is sufficient in order to handle myself for a 1 week vacation on a small sailboat? Do you have any advice on this topic?
3. Can I start with the RYA Day Skipper, or do I need the Competent Crew before-hand. If possible, I would prefer to skip the Competent Crew course, and go straight to Day Skipper.
4. Should I take the Day Skipper shorebased course beforehand? Is it possible to do the course online?
5. What are some of the best and most recommended RYA schools in Europe? Are all the RYA schools courses held in English - even those in Spain, Greece etc?
5. Do I need the ICC too? Can I skip it for now? The problem with the ICC is that I am restricted to take the exam in my country.
6. Could you recommend me some books or other resources in order to prepare for the Day Skipper practical course?

Thanks in advance!!!

PS: I posted this topic a second time. Not sure if someone deleted it the first time. I didn't get any message.
1: yes. Alternatively you could do the ICC by direct assessment ( 1-2 days on a boat ) which is shorter then getting a day skipper which can be either a 5 day intensive or upto 14 days

Minimum is ICC. Day skipper is a great ticket however.

2: yes but no ticket is a substitute for experience. Consider a flotilla holiday where you will have help.

3: no prerequisite for day skipper but competent crew is useful. You need to understand the basics of the boat

4: yes if possible , means you can concentrate on the practicals.

5: all RYA instruction is in English. RYA schools in the non tidal med can only issue non tidal certs which I would avoid. There are many good schools

5: yes the RYA day skipper is a superior ticket to the ICC and is generally recognised as such. You can skip the ICC.

6: have a look at the RYA online book store , its got lots of suitable books and manuals tailored for the course . The RYA navigation manual is a good all rounder

Dave
Old 11-11-2013, 03:04   #3

Boat: Boatless
Re: RYA Day Skipper in Europe

For Greece the International Certificate of Competence is beneficial but you can get that as you get Day Skipper in the UK.

ICC, International Certificate of Competence, Sailing Qualification to charter a yacht in Greece | Island Sailing

If you have sailed Competent Crew is a waste of time.

Do Day Skipper on the Solent, in the UK, where they have tides, big ships and a 100 aids to navigation. Preferably in Spring in the wind and rain. You can do the theory on-line. After that you should be able to handle Greece.

BOSS is a good school RYA Day Skipper Course

Best book Tom Cunliffe's 'The complete Yachtmaster'

The Complete Yachtmaster: Sailing, Seamanship and Navigation for the Modern Yacht Skipper: Tom Cunliffe: 9780713689488: Amazon.com: Books

You could just miss out the intermediate stuff and just come sailing.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-115097.html

Good luck

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:13   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
For Greece the International Certificate of Competence is beneficial but you can get that as you get Day Skipper in the UK.

ICC, International Certificate of Competence, Sailing Qualification to charter a yacht in Greece | Island Sailing

If you have sailed Competent Crew is a waste of time.

Do Day Skipper on the Solent, in the UK, where they have tides, big ships and a 100 aids to navigation. Preferably in Spring in the wind and rain. You can do the theory on-line. After that you should be able to handle Greece.

BOSS is a good school RYA Day Skipper Course

Best book Tom Cunliffe's 'The complete Yachtmaster'

The Complete Yachtmaster: Sailing, Seamanship and Navigation for the Modern Yacht Skipper: Tom Cunliffe: 9780713689488: Amazon.com: Books

Good luck
I don't beleive the OP is an UK resident hence he will not be eligible for an ICC by having a RYA day skipper , but the Day skipper is a superior ticket anyway.

Note a good location is Gibraltar as you get better weather , but tides and currents ( two tidal vectors ! Per hour ) . RYA sailing schools in the canaries are good too. I'm not a fan of trashing around the Solent in the pissing rain. Candidates tend under those circumstances to just be told what to do. Flogging will continue until moral improves is not a good approach

I would disagree with the previous poster I would agree that a newly minted day skipper should bareboat on Greece.but I would suggest a flotilla holiday as the first step.

Tom Cunliffes book is far from the best. The specific RYA books tend to focus on the specific syllabus, YM courses will cover certain things in far more detail then you need for a DS. Graduated learning is best

Dave
Old 11-11-2013, 03:43   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I think the OP is asking not just what is required legally and formally, but what is good practically.

According to this: RYA Day Skipper Sailing Course to charter a yacht in Greece | Island Sailing

"To charter a yacht bareboat or sail a yacht in a flotilla in Greece you ideally need either an ICC (International Certificate of Competence) or the RYA Day Skipper qualification. With the RYA Day Skipper practical qualification you can also be issued with the ICC but with either one you can enjoy the freedom of bareboat yachting in the beautiful waters of the Greek Ionian."

Either ticket will do. I would double check with the charter company, however.

If it is really true that the Day Skipper ticket will be enough for the legal requirement, then we get to the question about what actual training is needed.

I would say that going through the full Day Skipper program, if you have time for it, is a good foundation, far better than merely passing some kind of ICC examination.

Yes, the Theory part can be done online, for example here: RYA online theory courses

For the Practical part, you need to consider one factor -- tidal, or non-tidal? If you do the practical part in the UK, then a great deal of time is spent on tides, which add a whole additional layer of complexity to passage planning, pilotage, etc. Do you really need to know how to calculate a Course-to-Steer?

If you don't intend to be sailing in tidal waters; if you plan to sail in the Med and/or the Baltic, I think this could be a waste of time at this stage. In that case, you might want to consider doing the Practical course somewhere else like, for example, in Gibraltar.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:02   #6

Thank you all for your replies.

@s/v Moondancer: Hopefully I will take you on your offer sometimes in the future
@goboatingnow: You are correct. I am not an UK resident. I am from Bucharest, Romania. I would prefer to go the RYA route at the moment.
@Dockhead: Indeed, I am asking about the RYA courses from both a legal and practical perspective.

From all the replies this is the first draft of my plan:
1. complete the online theory RYA Day Skipper course at Buy Courses
2. the RYA Day Skipper in Gibraltar or UK
3. flotilla in Greece or crew
4. charter a yacht bareboat
5. after maaaany miles and experience - straight to RYA Yachtmaster Offshore
6. buy my own boat
7. sail the seven seas
Old 11-11-2013, 04:50   #7

I did the RYA Day Skipper course over the summer and it was the "5 days on a boat" type. I did the theory stuff in my own time beforehand and I made sure I thoroughly understood it before doing the practical. I do not think I could have done the practical without having done the theory first. I was simply issued very broad instructions by the instructor which left all the decision making and passage planning up to me. As long as I did not put the boat in danger he let me get on with it, mistakes and all.....
beverley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:48   #8

I found sailing.gi - Allabroad Academy in Gibraltar. Is this a good RYA school?
I am not sure if I should do the RYA Day Skipper theoretical course online with Nav at Home.com or if I should go for the 9 day theoretical & practical course with the Allabroad Academ. They have the same price 300 pounds for the theoretical course.
On one hand if I buy the online course I have time to really study the material before doing the practical course, on the other hand doing the course with the instructor face to face should have its own advantages.
Or maybe I could skimp on the theoretical course altogether, there seems to be a wealth of information available online already. Maybe I could just buy some training charts and some books and study on my own. (sailtrain.co.uk?)

So these are the 3 options I am struggling with at the moment.
Right now I'm leaning towards the study online, read a few books and do the full theoretical and practical course with Allabroad Academ in June. (795 pounds)
Old 11-11-2013, 08:31   #9
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
I am not sure if I should do the RYA Day Skipper theoretical course online with Nav at Home.com or if I should go for the 9 day theoretical & practical course with the Allabroad Academ. They have the same price 300 pounds for the theoretical course.
On one hand if I buy the online course I have time to really study the material before doing the practical course, on the other hand doing the course with the instructor face to face should have its own advantages.
Or maybe I could skimp on the theoretical course altogether, there seems to be a wealth of information available online already. Maybe I could just buy some training charts and some books and study on my own. (sailtrain.co.uk?)

Right now I'm leaning towards the study online, read a few books and do the full theoretical and practical course with Allabroad Academ in June. (795 pounds)
I did day skipper with allabroad many years ago, very good then and by the looks of things still high quality. I would go for theory there as well if you can afford it, nothing like being around sailors to ask and putting what you have learnt into practice straight away. Plus you can read up cover to cover a god book on coastal theory beforehand so hit the water running as it were.

Gib is a good spot to go for a course, IMHO, plenty traffic with tides to work out and the chance of some experience in hefty wind but with sun and nice food as well
Good luck whatever you decide.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:34   #10

Quote:
My instructor recommended learning and understanding everything in this book. So I did.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skipper-Sail.../dp/0713682728

I hope that helps
beverley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:47   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

For in-person course versus self-study, this all depends on how you learn. Some people do much better with a live instructor; others do much better on their own. I am one of the latter, but different people are different.

On-line study should be cheaper than in-class study. You might want to shop around. Let us know if you find something else.

I have probably 20,000 miles of experience in charge, and an ICC, I think about doing a Yachtmaster Offshore just as proof against any holes in my knowledge, and so I might be in the market for one of those online courses, so I'll be interested to see what you turn up.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 00:00   #12

I will do the full 9 day course with Allabroad Academy in May/June next year. In the meantime I will order some RYA books and charts to study on my own as much as I can.
Old 07-12-2014, 21:27   #13
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

Quote:
I will do the full 9 day course with Allabroad Academy in May/June next year. In the meantime I will order some RYA books and charts to study on my own as much as I can.
So did you take the course? How was it?
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, rope, skipper