Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2023, 05:24   #1

RYA school recommendations?

I've had small boats all my life (60yrs). I know the rudiments of sailing and boat handling and want to start volunteer crewing aboard sailing yachts.
I don't live near water (Manchester, UK) so I’ve decided to do some initial preparation with an RYA qualification. Hopefully, this will convince the skippers that I'm a sufficiently minor liability.

I thought I'd try the RYA day skippers course, doing the theory online followed by the practical exam at a training school.

Do you have any recommendations about which training provider to use (online or for the practical)?

At least initially, my sailing will be around the UK, so RYA courses seem an obvious choice, but I am okay with travelling for the practical exam as that could be part of a holiday.
Colinsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 06:03   #2

Re: RYA school recommendations?

I've had several strong recommendations for First Class Sailing out of Shamrock Quay in Southampton. A family member used them last summer and had a fun time (as important as, and conducive to, good training.

Once you've faced the challenges of day sailing in the Solent, many other environments become far less daunting.
Flobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 06:10   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: RYA school recommendations?

Somewhere close by would be best, also the experience gained in the challenging Irish Sea and Menai Straits area would be invaluable...
https://www.northwalespowerandsail.c...uising-courses.
As for online theory, it's an RYA set syllabus so pretty standard all around.
Back in my day they used to run night school classes, I took my Coastal Skipper and Offshore Theory in Coventry this way.. can't get much further from the sea..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 11:55   #4

Re: RYA school recommendations?

Shearwater Sailing School
Top notch, Great people
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, school