Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 15:04   #1

RYA vs IYT

Greetings! I'm considering to start sail training and have doubts as to which system to choose -- RYA or IYT. I intend to sail (charter) primarily in Europe, but highly likely in other regions too.

Currently I'm looking at this combination of initial courses --

RYA Competent Crew course + Day Skipper course + Radio
IYT International Crew + International Bareboat Skipper + Radio

As I see, there are more advantages studying with RYA: more stringent course, more recognizable in different countries, no need to renew certificates, less practical hours required during training (i.e. slightly lower cost).

However, I stumbled upon this -- IYT's International Bareboat Skipper certificate apparently does not impose daylight-only restriction, whereas RYA Day Skipper does.

Of course it is possible to obtain RYA Coastal Skipper later on, but this will probably not happen for a number of years.

So my question is, does the daylight limitation on your RYA certificate severely restricts yachting experience? How does this work in practice ? Do charter companies check this and require you to anchor for night or they refuse chartering for more than a day (daylight hours)?

Also, if you manage to charter for a week or so under RYA Day Skipper, and sail at night can you log night hours (to count the hours towards prerequisite for higher certificates), or this is serious violation of RYA Day Skipper certificate?

Looking forward hearing what's the best selection in your opinion -- RYA or IYT

Thank you.
NZDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 15:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: RYA vs IYT

To the best of my knowledge charter companies do not encourage/permit night sailing.
Most fleets operating where I have sailed in the Med have early starts with boats arriving at the next port mid afternoon where they promptly drop the anchor and dinghy ashore to eat and drink then head off again around 7am.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote