Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2017, 17:46   #31

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat
Re: Sailing instruction, certifications, and making lemonade from lemons

pull sail up / move the sail around until you are going forward = sailing

keep the water on the outside of the hull = floating

OK that's theory out of the way / now go out and practice
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 18:27   #32

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

I.ve never taken an ASA course , but have had good results thru colleges in calif. took a couple of sailing courses thru orange coast college out of Newport harbor and an excellent course in San Francisco Bay thru UCSF. Would recommend checking out classes thru local college or university.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 20:38   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
Sailing instruction, 'captains', and boat surveyors are normally distributed. That said:
Fifty percent chance yours is better than average.
Fifty percent chance yours is worse than average.

That said, most of us have learned by experience. Unfortunately, the problem with learning by experience is you take the test before you learn the material.
If you pick a random unaffiliated individual, I would agree.

The point of going through an organization is they should be weeding out the below average.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 21:07   #34

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Just read how-to-sail books and then began competitive sailing.

Old 19-02-2017, 00:57   #35

Boat: van de Stadt Pionier, 30'

I echo the earlier comment by BlueBuddha. RYA training and examination is serious and rigorous. I've heard a lot of negative comments about ASA training which is unfathomable to me following my own RYA training and examination which required all of theory, practice, and documented experience (I got my offshore yachtmaster last year). If the UK is a bit far, there are training RYA centres around the world, including in the USA.
Skipper Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 06:03   #36
Marine Service Provider

This is a sad story. I have to agree with Ann T.Cate & Belizesailor that experiences like this have to be reported to ASA if they are going to do any good. There are schools out there that don't provide the experience students are looking for regardless of affiliation. This isn't an ASA specific problem. If anything good is going to come from your experience, the organization has to be made aware of the problem.

Whichever system of instruction you decide to go with - the most important thing is to do your homework on the school. Look for independent reviews of the school and the instructors. Check Trip Advisor, google the school and see what comes up. If possible, visit the school and see for yourself the condition on their training boats and facilities. Pay attention to how you are treated in pre-course communications. It all adds up. ASA, RYA, ITC all set standards for their schools - but it is up to the school to maintain those standards. If they aren't doing a good job - students will talk about it. In this day and age - it shouldn't be too hard to find out what people are saying.

We have great Trip Advisor reviews. They have very little to do with ASA - we have worked hard to build our reputation. It comes from how we treat our students, the instructors we have working with us and all the little things we do to go the extra mile to ensure our students have a great experience.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 07:07   #37

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

If you are taking ASA courses from a ASA affiliate schools where captains are showing up drunk, where the advertised syllabus isn't being followed and where boats are in such poor shape they are often towed back in, I would suggest the following:

1. Do a better job at researching the ASA schools you are considering.

2. Report such inappropriate teaching conditions to the ASA directly.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 11:17   #38

Boat: 10' surfboard

This all so rare and hard to believe?

Here is a video of some folks who are out to learn how to sail.

They also trained under many different sources before cruising, clearly not all experiences were "ideal" especially this video.

If they had any issue with the radio calling for help (such as dead battery) the situation could have been very serious.

If this sort of thing were so rare and unlikely, I think SEA TOW would go out of business.

As much as I like the Wynn's, it was pointed out when they crossed the gulf stream at night, one was below sleeping, the other alone at the helm did not wear a harness, jackline, or PFD, a testament to the effectiveness of the accredited lessons they took to get insurance for their new boat...

I guess lemons happen, just make lemonade...
nematon785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 14:46   #39

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

I'm not gonna watch a 15 minute video to discover what makes them bad sailors, but how does bad sailors prove anything you said about ASA? It just proves some sailors do wrong things.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 15:13   #40

Boat: 10' surfboard

Not bad sailors. They just had a difficult experience when learning.
nematon785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 16:23   #41

I think some of the problem with the ASA is that the certification is weak and generally not held as a certificate of competency
Often suggesting that after a week on board an instructed charter that a student can be competent to captain a 35' yacht.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1487550187.742191.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	141607

Sent from my iPad.......i apologise for the auto corrects !!!
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 18:22   #42

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
I'm not gonna watch a 15 minute video to discover what makes them bad sailors, but how does bad sailors prove anything you said about ASA? It just proves some sailors do wrong things.
Good choice - I struggled through 8 min of it before giving up - not clear what it has to do with sailing.
Old 19-02-2017, 18:49   #43

Boat: Beneteau/343

My experience with ASA classes has ranged from quite acceptable to excellent. I am sorry the OPs have been so disappointing.
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 05:20   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nematon785 View Post
While taking ASA lessons and paying for instruction from professional captains I have experienced...
I think you have been very unlucky. My wife and I have taken six separate courses between us (101-104 each, taking separate classes for each), and have never experienced any of these things.

Sure, we have had some instructors that were better than others. Nothing like what you're describing, though.

Have to wonder if all of this was at the same school? Perhaps time to find somewhere else to take lessons.

For others reading this, do not be put off from the concept of taking an ASA course. Get some references for the school you are considering and realize that they are very definitely NOT all like the OP describes!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 05:57   #45

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Bob View Post
I echo the earlier comment by BlueBuddha. RYA training and examination is serious and rigorous. I've heard a lot of negative comments about ASA training which is unfathomable to me following my own RYA training and examination which required all of theory, practice, and documented experience (I got my offshore yachtmaster last year). If the UK is a bit far, there are training RYA centres around the world, including in the USA.
I became unhappy with some aspects of ASA (they also became unhappy with me). I looked into starting an RYA school in the US but, apparently, that is not possible. Any ideas on this? Also looking into US Sailing. Booked hundreds of week-long ASA cruises. Most of the instructors I worked with were excellent. Always had reviews filled out by students.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
certification, sail, sailing