Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2009, 21:51   #1

Sailing Lessons for a Day in Jamaica ?

I'm looking for someone to provide a brief day or two of sailing lessons in Jamaica anytime between Dec 28, 09 and Jan 2, 10. There are two of us, both fit, and we're not specific on the vessel. I'd like to give this as a gift to my friend. It doesn't have to be technical, it is mostly just for education and fun. Montego Bay is closer to where we are staying than Ochos Rios or Port Antonio. Thanks for any information or referrals!
jlr0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 06:38   #2

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
JLR:

Two thoughts for you:
-- if you are near Montego Bay, that's probably your best bet to find a normal boat owner (not charterer) with whom you could strike a deal. You can call the YC there ahead of time and inquire...but it may take walking the docks. I would think Ochos Rios an unlikely prospect. Another option when thinking of the North Coast is to call the marina at Port Antonio...but by land that's a lengthy (in time) distance to drive given the roads.
-- the prettiest J coast IMO is the west end, which includes a number of resorts and some beautiful tropical settings. If you would like to consider sailing a daysailer, beach cat or other simple boat, that's where I'd look first. All the resorts should know one another's capabilities so contacting one, if they can't serve you, might generate referrals to others.

Jack
Old 16-12-2009, 08:35   #3

Jack,

Thanks so much for your input! I've been scouring the web for days, calling and calling, and didn't run into much luck with info. This will give me a direction to look. We're actually staying south, and heading to the west coast will be perfect. It's always a challenge to find one's feet when visiting a new island for the first time, and since this is a xmas gift I don't want to wait until we get there to confirm arrangements. I appreciate your time and information.

Jami
jlr0123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing lessons, Jamaica