Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 20:15   #1

Sailing Schools in the Caribbean

We (my girlfriend (33) and myself (38)) live in Colombia and are looking to get some training/certifications. Preferably certifications that are internationally recognized like ASA or RYA or similar.
I am a German citizen and have been sailing since my early childhood, mostly on my parents 32´ sailboat. I have done daysailing in many places around the world and have sailed on a 44´ catamaran from Rio de Janeiro to Trinidad as crew. I do not carry any certifications though.

The idea is to buy a boat within a year to go cruising/circumnavigate.

What course would you recommend for me to take?
Do you know of any schools that offer this and would be close to Colombia?

Easiest places to reach for me include: Panama, Venezuela, Trinidad, ABC

My girlfriend would accompany me and start with some basic sailing course.
She is a Colombian citizen (visas for most other countries than those stated above are problematic!) and has never sailed before.

Thank you very much for your help/ideas!

Jonas
humpback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 16:09   #2

My girlfriend and I are going to take a 1 week vacation/training course in the British Virgin Islands. You get cruising training on things like provisioning, have a blast sailing a cat through the BVI's and you get your ASA certifications 101-104 and 114 - all from an ASA certified master instructor. We need more people to lower the cost and get the boat chartered. PM me if you're interested.
Camp Director G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 16:26   #3

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Several years ago I went to the Colgate School at the Moorings in Tortola (mainly just to get away for a while!). Very professionally done, in my opinion.
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 11:42   #4

Boat: Leopard 40
Pete,

What made you choose hte Colgate school (off shore)? We are trying to decide between that school and blue water.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 05:51   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42
I second the Colgate School in Tortola. It's a good program in a good location for sailing and can be both fun and very informative. It is also a well established program with a long history, having begun in the late 70's. I took my one-and-only there around that time as she was deathly fearful of "heeling" and wouldn't take my word that the boat wasn't going to turn turtle. By the end of a week with the young men and women that were giving the Learn to Sail course, she was ripping all over the Sir Francis Drake Channel in a Soling 27 with the lee rail in the water and wooping with glee.

They also have several other classes that are reportedly worth while. Check out British Virgin Islands, Caribbean

Good luck!

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 07:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
I second the Colgate School in Tortola. It's a good program in a good location for sailing and can be both fun and very informative. It is also a well established program with a long history, having begun in the late 70's. I took my one-and-only there around that time as she was deathly fearful of "heeling" and wouldn't take my word that the boat wasn't going to turn turtle. By the end of a week with the young men and women that were giving the Learn to Sail course, she was ripping all over the Sir Francis Drake Channel in a Soling 27 with the lee rail in the water and wooping with glee.

They also have several other classes that are reportedly worth while. Check out British Virgin Islands, Caribbean

Good luck!

s/v HyLyte
Thank you so much. We have decided to take the fast track course in BVI this Summer.

Maje
Old 25-10-2008, 07:15   #7

Boat: OP's boats! Charter big cats and race big monos!
Rob Swain Sailing School out of Nanny Cay on Tortola, BVI has been highly reccomended.
Saildoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 08:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saildoggie View Post
Rob Swain Sailing School out of Nanny Cay on Tortola, BVI has been highly reccomended.
Do you earn the sailing certificates?

Maje
Old 27-02-2012, 12:51   #9

Re: Sailing Schools in the Caribbean

Rob Swain Sailing School was fantastic out of Tortola in the BVI's. Did the fast track to catamaran and loved it. Highly Recommended.
Camp Director G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean