Boatus.com
Nauticed.org
They both have offerings
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 13:00   #17

Re: Sailing theory online course

Thanks for all your replies including JustWaiting..

I am overwhelmed with all of your advice and suggestions. I definitely try to get practice on the boat, and would like to sail across Atlantic in the future.
Aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 13:09   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Good luck. Just remember the books, on line, doesn't show the practical, only being out there does.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 13:58   #19

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aden View Post
1. Is it necessary to do the Celestial Navigation course, although I know I can use the GPS system on the boat? Still thinking whether I should do it or not.

2. Do I need to have any qualifications to sail in Europe, USA and Caribbean on my cruising boat (I haven't had her yet and hopefully it will be soon!). I was thinking it would be better to go sailing on my own boat more often rather than attending all the expensive Day skipper courses. ...
I failed to properly read your initial inquiry before my first reply:
1/ No, Celestial Navigation is not necessary, but it is a nice tool to acquire at some point. Electronics have been known to fail.
2/ Not yet, although I have heard that several US states, the US Coast Guard, and the EU were working on or considering it (with Brexit I am am at a loss as to the U.K.). Again, sailing, including mistakes, yours and others', is IMHO the best learning tool, but organized schooling is definitely something the individual should consider if feasible, and is increasingly likely to become a future requirement.
Old 14-12-2016, 03:22   #20

Boat: Catalina 400

Online and book training were really helpful to us for learning rules of navigation, passage planning, predicting weather change, recognizing ships lighting or day shapes, etc. Even with a fair amount experience going in, we gained much from online courses like NauticEd Sailing School - Learn to Sail and Get Certified in these areas.

At the same time, follow the advice above, it is fun to join a sailing club or crew a racer and get on the water cheaply. Skills like sail trim, dealing with tides and currents, and smooth docking/undocking are things we never stop learning; hands on works best.
SoundWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 05:44   #21

Boat: Searunner, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aden View Post
I am reading a basic sailing book for beginner (no sailing experience) and planning to attend some online theory courses before attending any practical courses.

Having done some search on this Training forum, it is suggested taking the theory ebooks (The Navigation Handbook, The Weather Handbook, Day Skipper Shorebased, RYA Day Skipper Practical Course Notes) on RYA website.

1. Is it necessary to do the Celestial Navigation course, although I know I can use the GPS system on the boat? Still thinking whether I should do it or not.

2. Do I need to have any qualifications to sail in Europe, USA and Caribbean on my cruising boat (I haven't had her yet and hopefully it will be soon!). I was thinking it would be better to go sailing on my own boat more often rather than attending all the expensive Day skipper courses.

Any suggestions would appreciate.
PS. I am in the UK.
Although you are in the UK the course provided here Florida Boating Safety Course: BoatUS Foundation (click on this link) is a good basic course, and, if you are ever in Florida and want to rent a boat or jetski you will need the certificate provided by the course. This is a good basic boater safety course. There are also other courses provided, some more advanced.

Tags
sail, sailing