Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2021, 11:09   #31

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Re: Seeking Sailing Instructor Recommendations in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
I needed to upgrade my German sailing license to be able to sail in Croatia.

I took a week and did an online course with NauticEd as their charter boat Captain's license is accepted by the Croats. As an American, one doesn't need to have a license to sail one own's boat, but the Croats think differently.

After completing the online course with NauticEd and also taking the Florida Boating safety course that was required, I took a six hour sail on Tampa Bay with their examiner, Bennie Ficarotta.

I have been sailing for 62 years, got a license to navigate German rivers and learn what European navigational signage means. I still learned something from the NauticEd course and learned more about "ramp etiquette" and righting an upside down jet ski than I need to know.
I, too, am a NauticEd alum with dayskipper and ICC. Mark Thompson was my examiner. Lifetime sailor, as well, but after NauticEd, ICC and Mark Thompson, my knowledge is at a much greater and sustained level.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 11:13   #32

Dear Lance,

You represent the hopes of thousands of people with your desire to fine out what's involved in becoming a sailor. Over the last 25 years of taking people on participatory sailing charters, and 16 years of yacht brokerage, there have been a few things that recur frequently.

When I had my yacht brokerage, every year I would sell boats that people had bought without actually experiencing sailing, and had not been willing to learn enough to enjoy the sailing, because they were so often frustrated, and even terrified, at not being able to control the boat.

Learning to sail starts with learning how to get in and out of the slip without taking out your neighbors'' boats, or being able to not wind up being blown into a bulkhead when the wind and your desired escape route were in strong opposition. Sailboats are, in some respects, no different than vehicles. You have everything from a bus to a sportscar, and learning your own boat's abilities to turn, to stop, to steer in reverse, to be balanced by the right sail combination, all takes time.

That is one reason for going to a sailing school. Not because they put you on many different natured boats, but because, with their "experience passports", they allow you to charter many differently behaving boats and to not only get to understand their weaknesses and strengths, but to begin to form a better idea of what characteristics fit your needs and knowledge.

It's true, that the classes take quite a while to get through, but, at each level you accomplish, they open up your choices for gaining experiences that the classes might not give you.

If you have never sailed before, or have very limited experience, it is a good idea to go out with an individual instructor for whatever time you need to see if sailing really is for you. There is a lot of wet, cold and miserable as well as glorious, invigorating sailing. Learning your frustration levels is really important. Sailing in light air is much more difficult than sailing in heavy air, assuming that you are carrying the right amount of sail in the heavy air not to be endangering yourself or the boat. It takes enormous concentration, but the rewards eventually make is also very rewarding.

Some of the commenters have talked about getting on a racing boat. I would agree with them wholeheartedly with a few caveats. Racing requires a commitment from you to show up in time and regularly. It's not a "maybe I'll go today if the weather is good" kind of thing. Don't go out with a type-A sailor who yells and screams. It's no fun, and you learn so much less, because you are under stress management mode. The thing about racing, even if you don't care about racing, is that you are out there with many other sailors, some of whom know what they are doing, and some of whom don't, and it becomes painfully obvious who is who. The other thing is that it trains you to concentrate. The truth is that the people who win races are the people who may not be the most knowledgeable, but they are the ones who keep paying attention to everything. In a day of racing, you will learn much more than weeks of practicing you mistakes by yourself. It's instant revelation instead of trial and error guessing.

Good luck to you. If sailing really is for you, the rest of your life will change forever and be the better for it.
Eric West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 12:50   #33

Boat: MacGregor 22

I'm 65 new to sailing and will be taking ASA 103 and 104 in Ruskin FLA in March with Flagship sailing school they are ASA certified they are located 45 minutes below Tampa . They let me pick my own dates for the two courses and because I'm taking back to back i also get a discount . I would suggest looking them up on line as they offer other courses that do not require ASA

certification . I'm also new to CF as this is my first post I'll figure it out as i go thanks and good luck with finding and choosing a school .
Pokerfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 13:19   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seighlor View Post
I would like to recommend Eric West in Daytona Beach, Florida. Not a close personal friend but I've know Eric for a good many years and used to compete against him in our local racing activities.

At one point in his life, Eric was employed by a sailmaker. In more recent decades he has chartered his boat, Eagle, for day-sails and also offers sailing instruction to individuals and couples.

You can contact Eric at eagleyachts@gmail.com
Thanks, whoever you are!
Eric West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:51   #35

Boat: Catalina 36

Doris & Steve Colgate's Offshore Sailing School has a storied reputation:
https://www.offshoresailing.com/

Ask for Captain Michael Dwane. He's the best and patience abounds.
Catboat Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:57   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
I, too, am a NauticEd alum with dayskipper and ICC. Mark Thompson was my examiner. Lifetime sailor, as well, but after NauticEd, ICC and Mark Thompson, my knowledge is at a much greater and sustained level.
Do I understand that there is no practical training with NauticEd? No time on the boat until the exam? I don't say this to be critical, but I feel like that would not leave me very confident to be on my own. After the exam would a sailor be able to do a multiday passage?

Edit: To everybody who is about to jump on me. I do realize there are more courses for passage making. I'm just trying to gage the level of skills acquired.
Lance Monotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 13:00   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerfun View Post
I'm 65 new to sailing and will be taking ASA 103 and 104 in Ruskin FLA in March with Flagship sailing school they are ASA certified they are located 45 minutes below Tampa . They let me pick my own dates for the two courses and because I'm taking back to back i also get a discount . I would suggest looking them up on line as they offer other courses that do not require ASA

certification . I'm also new to CF as this is my first post I'll figure it out as i go thanks and good luck with finding and choosing a school .
Wow, I'm your first post! I'm honored!

I just looked up Flagship and so far they are the most reasonable, even for the ASA courses. Thank you for letting me know about them and good luck with your sailing career.
Old 01-02-2021, 13:03   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Mark thompson from
YachtingEducation.com.

He's fantastic!

Ben
Thank you, but it looks like they only offer training on cats.
Old 01-02-2021, 13:29   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
You may contact Capt. John Virginio in Fort Pierce at john.viginio @gmail.com.
He has excellent credentials.
Thank you, I took down his email but I couldn't find him online. Does he have a website?
Old 01-02-2021, 13:31   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlWer View Post
PS: If you are ever in Montreal in the summer, let me know and we can go out in my catamaran. I'm assuming the borders will be open...
I will absolutely look you up. I'm only 3.5 hours from Montreal. Same invitation goes out to you if I find a boat!
Old 01-02-2021, 13:43   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin sailor View Post
I strongly suggest Windward Sailing. They are located at Fernandina Beach, Florida, just north of Jacksonville, Florida. Windwardsailing.com. I took a lesson from Tony a few years back and was very satisfied. From his dock you can sail on the ocean, the river, or the intercoastal. He offers certified and non certified courses. To save on motel charges, you can spend the night on the boat which is docked at downtown Fernandina Beach..
That's a great price. Thank you for letting me know.
Old 01-02-2021, 13:48   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenline View Post
I used Colgate sailing school. It was a good experience and having a certificate made renting a bareboat in the Caribbean a breeze with the Moorings.
Given you 9 --5 work schedule and thus the need for a set course, I would go with a school.
Best of Luck

don
Thanks Don, I've asked them for a quote.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:46   #43

Colgate got back to me with a quote for their 101, 103 & 104 combo class. At over $6200, this is too rich for my blood unless I go home with a boat. I guess that's the reason they don't list prices on their website. It's $4200 more than the next most expensive course I found.

Also it's very weird that two people responded to this thread with exactly the same wording:

Doris & Steve Colgate's Offshore Sailing School has a storied reputation:
https://www.offshoresailing.com/
Old 03-02-2021, 09:18   #44

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Yeah, I got ASA 101, 102, AND a chartered private day sail with a training captain for far less than that (Under $2,000 for the whole package.

And don't forget the Power Squadron for Piloting, and navigation. Their courses are cheap, and effective, especially if you are a member which I would recommend.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:36   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Yeah, I got ASA 101, 102, AND a chartered private day sail with a training captain for far less than that (Under $2,000 for the whole package.

And don't forget the Power Squadron for Piloting, and navigation. Their courses are cheap, and effective, especially if you are a member which I would recommend.
Right, none of the other comparable options I have researched so far are above $2000. Where did you get that training, if you don't mind saying?

Say, Power Squadron looks very interesting and reasonably priced. Their website is kinda terrible but I'll spend some time digging around. Is it run by the USPS?

Thanks!

Tags
florida, men, sail, sailing