Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2021, 09:51   #76

Re: Seeking Sailing Instructor Recommendations in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Monotone View Post
Hi all,

I would like to make my way to Florida from the frozen hell that is NY sometime in February or March to take sailing lessons. I found a few schools online, but I would prefer to take them from someone who comes recommended by the CF community here, so if you know of anyone please let me know in the thread or PM me.

Might want to contact the Sailing Veterinarian Craig Russell in Palm Beach. He's at sailingveterinarian@gmail.com Bet he'd be great.
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:15   #77

Quote:
...I've decided to take a short day out with a seasoned skipper to see how I like it, then go for the ASA combo course afterwards.
A school you would like to get training, might be able to get you out on a day sail to see if you like it. This would also give you an idea if you like the instructor.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:58   #78

Boat: Morgan 452

First off, just to establish where I am coming from - I am an ASA instructor for the Maryland School of Sailing in Rock Hall, MD - we are not the school you are looking for, but we have a great Youtube channel and you can get an idea of what our sailing philosophy is there.

Secondly, ASA is a business that provides a model for sailing schools with a generally similar pattern of instruction - in other words, if you take 101 at a school in upstate New York, then a 103 at a school in the Chesapeake Bay and a 104 in the Caribbean, they SHOULD flow one into the other and have enough overlap to connect, but not be a repeat of the previous class.

Third, having said that - all schools have an instructional philosophy and they are not the same. ASA is sort of like the hotel franchise - you can go to different hotels in the same chain and, if they are independently operated, have similar but different experiences.

So, the only way to judge a school is by talking to them and "asking questions". How many instructors do they have? How many boats do they have? What kind? Are their instructors employees or contractors? Who does the maintenance on the boats? How long is a class (1 day? 2 days? More?)

By the way, a primary difference between the ASA and US Sailing is that US Sailing is the training arm of US sail racing - like, "Olympics" and Collegiate. This is not better or worse, simply is...In case you are curious, Colgate's is a US Sailing school. There are 6 US Sailing schools in Florida, 37 ASA schools.
Contact them all and ask questions.

Now, to answer your actual questions - contact Nordie Norwood at Flagship Sailing School. I have worked with him in the past and know him to be an excellent instructor with a great school. I have sent my own students to him in the past, when they wanted to sail out of Florida.
CaptFrankM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:00   #79
cruiser

Quote:
I don't care about becoming famous but I like following those channels (especially in their early days) and watching how they solve problems. My motivation is helping someone who has a similar issue.
Anyway, I appreciate the encouragement and well wishes. How goes your boat hunt?
I don't think other sailors should be your audiance; they will just judge you and tell you what you do wrong. How about addressing to the mainstream population, the regular middle class folks who've been simply burnt out with life? If I were you, I'd focus on the inspirational part of the story - a middle-aged man leaves his comfortable suburban life and ends up in an old keel sailboat somewhere in the ocean despite all the impossibilities. Make the viewers feel your pain, and make them wonder what will happen next. Remember what Harlan Howard once said, "All you need is three chords and the truth." Okay, no more of this subject; you must already have a plan of yours - don't listen to anyone...

These are the finalists of my boat hunt:

https://alerionyachts.com/model/33/
https://saffieryachts.com/models/saffier-sc-10m-cabin/
https://www.tofinou.com/en/day-sailer/tofinou-95
https://morrisyachts.com/yachts/m29/
https://www.rustleryachts.com/rustler33/
Friendship 36 Photo Gallery

But, on the day of purchase, I'll probably be boring, listen to the wisdom of elderly, and settle with a reasonable 'used' sailboat such as Hunter 27 or Catalina 28 or ... Well, you already know that ugly smelly boat list!?
Lexi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 16:43   #80

Boat: Lagoon 421

We did water sailing">Blue Water Sailing School for our ASA certification but hands down the practical came from Premium Captains. We used them for insurance certification. Can’t say enough good things - but excellent close quarters handling skills and attention to all crew learning to handle the boat.
https://www.facebook.com/PremiumCaptains/
Old 06-02-2021, 09:46   #81

Boat: 1991 Morgan 44 Center Cockpit

We took ASA 106 at Blue Water Sailing in Ft Lauderdale. You should take ASA courses. Good fundamentals to get you sailing right. Not for professionals don’t know who told you that.
scottmc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:21   #82

I recommend ASA courses if only to get discounts on your boat insurance. I can't tell you how much it reduces the cost, but it helps. I agree with another post that having certification might help you charter if you ever want to.

I had a lot of knowledge and experience when I took the ASA courses, but it helped fill in some gaps in a structured way and taught me better practices for what I was doing already.

Good luck.
Mark
mqbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:31   #83

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Hello and I am pretty much in CaptFrankM's position, a lifelong sailing instructor. I agree with his US Sailing and ASA analysis as that has been my experience as well.

My analogy is that sailing schools are a bit like restaurants and instructors are the wait staff. You've sort of asked about where to find a good waiter or maybe chef. Your task is to figure out what you want to get from the school experience. The rest will follow easily.

It does not take a lot to learn to sail. It takes a lot to learn seamanship. That's the challenge!

I read a lot of sailing books. They are good sources of knowledge. Over the years, I have referred to many to reinforce points in class. Maybe start with Lin and Larry Pardy, Hal Roth, and Tania Aebi just to name a few. I just finished Orca by John Pennington which is excellent. He and his wife started at zero and went around the world in a Cape Dory 30. Shows to go yah!

All the best, Norm, Cape Cod
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:30   #84

Hello Lance

I am with
https://www.portsailing.com/caribbean-program

We offer ASA 101 103 104 and 105 In St Thomas USVI which you can travel to because it a US territory.
The program is a week long we typically sail around St Johns one anchorage at a time.

please look it up we would be delighted to have you.

Best regards

F emmanuel.
manu_newport 41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, men, sail, sailing