Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2017, 15:46   #1

Should I put all my eggs in the RYA basket?

I recently had my IYT VHF turned down by the MCA and have to redo it. I contacted a couple of RYA schools to get it sorted and they told me that RYA certificates are the only ones "issued on behalf of the MCA". When I did my IYT courses (funny, we used RYA manuals), they told me that IYT did the same as the RYA. I now find out from the VHF debacle that IYT only has a few certificates that are "recognized" by the MCA and several that have the MCA logo on them (like the VHF) but have nothing to do with the MCA. I feel like I've been a victim of a money grab.

It looks like I should just throw in the towel and put all my eggs in the RYA. Good idea?
teddalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 18:26   #2

Boat: 2002 Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler
Re: Should I put all my eggs in the RYA basket?

Subscribed
Panacea2183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 18:49   #3

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Should I put all my eggs in the RYA basket?

It's a funny world of RYA certificates. I hold a Yachtmaster Offshore certificate examined and issued by the Australian Yachting Federation in 1994 (I was living in Australia at the time). Now I'm in a different country and am preparing for the Yachtmaster Ocean exam. But I've been told I will also have to take the Offshore exam as the AYF Offshore certificate is not recognised by the RYA as a prerequisite.

So either I have to bone up on lights and stump up the money for the Yachtmaster Offshore exam, or just complete the Ocean course and not bother with the certificate. As a nonprofessional sailor I don't really need the Ocean certificate other than to recognise personal achievement. But is that worth the extra money?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote