Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2015, 06:38   #16

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380
Re: Tortola vs Swain sailing Schools

I wouldn't worry about being on the 39, it's similar to the 36. We chartered them both from Rob after taking classes from him.

They are usually flexible on destinations during class, so I'd ask about Soggy Dollar. It would take too much time to just go on the ferry. I recommend Fish n Lime over in Sopers Hole, not far from Nanny Cay. Food is good at the places Nanny Cay also- Peg Legs and the cafe next to Bobby's Marketplace.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:24   #17

I have already begun reading the books. I am thru 101 and will be rereading it starting today. It's mostly basic stuff, but lots of terms to get correct.

I do have a question tho, what should I pack my clothes in ? ATM all I have is a hard suitcase, so I am thinking of buying a large backpack which would be easier to stow on board. None of the large duffel bags I have are not flight worthy.
Islandnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:55   #18

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380

Large backpack would be fine, or duffel. Definitely not a hard suitcase. You won't need much for clothes- shorts and tshirts.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:57   #19

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

I sure it's still there, but if so get a cheeseburger and beer at the aussie bar outside of the marina at Nanny Cay, great relaxing comfortable place. They tend to run out of booze, but sailors will do that. Have fun.
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 06:29   #20

I just completed the fast track with Swain Sailing School in Tortola and recommend it highly. I am a novice sailor, just started to get into sailing as a hobby, and only had a 10 days of military leave to get certifications. Swain's got me through 101-103-104 with as little pain as possible, given the steep learning curve, with two instructors that I cannot commend highly enough: Emma for 101 and Rory for 103 and 104. Given my level of inexperience, I would not attempt to bareboat charter with only these certs, but the school did give me enough knowledge and hands on experience to begin crewing so as to log more sailing hours and gain more depth of experience.
If you're an absolute beginner, as I was, I don't think there is a program out there that can reasonably prepare you for bareboat chartering in a week. Experience is key and takes time - that was obvious from the skill and expertise of our instructors. But if you want a very good program with very good instructors, I recommend Swains Sailing School.
Sanctadies46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 13:57   #21
Marine Service Provider

I saw in your original post that you are interested in Grenada! We would love to have you check out LTD Sailing. Let me know if you have any questions.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 19:35   #22

Already signed up with Swain Sailing. Thanks for posting.
Islandnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, sailing school, school