Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2020, 10:18   #1

Training During Work Breaks

Hello!
My wife and I have been preparing to become liveaboard sailors for a while now, and we still have a few years to go. Where I work I get around 2-3 hours of breaks per day and I was hoping to be able to fill that time learning more about sailing. I'm a very hands on learner, books tend to not be as helpful even though I do read them. I was wondering if there were any small kits that I could purchase to help develop skills that I can use.
I've got my knots down, and I'm currently finishing up my HAM radio course.
I was thinking about getting a small electric wiring kit that teaches you how to do basic electrical wiring, any suggestions for that?
Basically anything small that I could mess around with in my car while on break that will have practical applications for when we move to our boat.
Thank you for your time!
Odeken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 14:25   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Training During Work Breaks

Small engine repair. Get an old outboard and repair it...or any small engine if you cant get an OB.

Alternator. Get an old alternator from the junk yard and rebuild it. Ive rebuilt 2 this month!

Electronics. A basic Arduino starter kit will teach you basic electronics and programming. The electronics concepts are applicable over wide range of applications on boats.

NauticalEd has online sailing related classes.

Splicing. Next step after knots: learn to splice. Start with basic 3 strand splicing like long splices and eyes (these are skills you will use making up dock lines)...then move on to more complicated stuff.

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 15:02   #3

Re: Training During Work Breaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Small engine repair. Get an old outboard and repair it...or any small engine if you cant get an OB.

Alternator. Get an old alternator from the junk yard and rebuild it. Ive rebuilt 2 this month!

Electronics. A basic Arduino starter kit will teach you basic electronics and programming. The electronics concepts are applicable over wide range of applications on boats.

NauticalEd has online sailing related classes.

Splicing. Next step after knots: learn to splice. Start with basic 3 strand splicing like long splices and eyes (these are skills you will use making up dock lines)...then move on to more complicated stuff.

Exactly what I was looking for thank you very much!
Odeken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
work