Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2024, 09:57   #1

US Sailing Coastal Passage making course

Good afternoon,
I’m researching taking the US Sailing Coastal passage making course. I have been taking to the few schools that do it.

Anyone here taken it? What was your experience? If you have, Was it worth it? If not, what did you do?

I completed my first bareboat charter in the BVI, this year, and I’d like to get more experience, like anchoring before I charter in a more challenging area .

Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Kurt Borkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 11:42   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO469
Re: US Sailing Coastal Passage making course

There are a few charter companies in the Bahamas advertising this course on the boats they need to return to the U.S. before hurricane season starts. I believe this will get you some experience and the course. Some go to Florida and some further North to Annapolis etc. Look at:
Captain Joe sailing.
Cruise Abaco
Sailaway charters
Enjoy.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 12:04   #3

I taught this class for years, I am both knowledgable and biased

If taught rigorously and professionally it is a very valuable class. The topics covered are important to know, and practice.

The issue with any of the sailing classes is the degree of rigor you get from a school is highly variable, and can be difficult to determine ahead of time. So many take your money, and essentially give you a certification in return. Myself, I would avoid any school who brags about a 100% passing rate at the end of a 4 or 5 day long class.

The school I worked at did not survive the covid disruptions, but had a well deserved reputation for very high standards and rigor. Passing the practical sailing test at the end of any of the classes was HARD. Failing the test the first time was not at all unusual. You did get a year's time to practice and retake as often as needed with an instructor without additional cost. We were not the school for people who just wanted a piece of paper.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 12:20   #4

Boat: Bavaria 38E

What are examples of “HARD questions” in passage making knowledge or practice? Presumably, ones the answers to which one could not quickly “look up” while on passage?

I’ve got one, maybe. In what situation(s) that you might encounter is “sailing by the lee” the better option over gybing? Versus, not the better option? Maybe add 6 kt apparent wind; 2 ft seas to spice it up.
Auklet is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
passage, sail, sailing