Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 09:20   #91

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I live on the GOM and have a 50TOn Masters with towing. And have little experience except on my own boat. Except for taking the guys out to the floaters to fish, I haven't seen any job opportunities. I would be willing to do just about anything to accumulate sea time. Pay is no object as I have a day job with flexible hours, (software).
Up your license to 100 ton and check with the oil patch fleets... there are jobs for those who want to work. It would be Utility boats & Crew boats... There are jobs out there... but if you don't live where they are at, you may need to use a head hunter (job agency) to help find you work.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:44   #92

Boat: private yacht always moving
Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
Up your license to 100 ton and check with the oil patch fleets... there are jobs for those who want to work. It would be Utility boats & Crew boats... There are jobs out there... but if you don't live where they are at, you may need to use a head hunter (job agency) to help find you work.
WHAT jobs
hornbeck, tidewater, gulfmark, all are laying OFF people,,,,there are very few jobs in the GOM right now,,, many boats are going 28/28 right now instead of 28/14, captain friend at seacore took pay cut PLUS went 28/28,,,,,

good luck in finding a job in the GOM right now
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:51   #93
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
we seem to be ignoring the OP here. As to the question of whether you need an official USCG logbook, the answer is no. I keep my log in a standard college-ruled composition book, and that was adequate to count for sea time. (Not that it mattered a whole lot; I flunked the color test.)
You flunked the color test, I beleave thats a deal breaker .. yes/no?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:59   #94

yes the color test is a deal breaker,,, i did get a PM from BASH about that, to bad with out the color test you can only get a day license,,,
Old 03-02-2011, 09:59   #95

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
When I enlisted, I flunked the regular test, but passed the FALANT test. Is that good enough for a USCG license?
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:01   #96
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
yes the color test is a deal breaker,,, i did get a PM from BASH about that, to bad with out the color test you can only get a day license,,,
I never heard of the day license? Are you sure there is such a thing?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:17   #97

Yes somewhere on the NMC web site there are the requirements for the vision and it mentions the day license,,, I have read this myself

Section V (b) – Color Vision
The following color sense testing methodologies are
acceptable:
AOC (1965) – (6 or fewer errors on plates 1-15)
AOC-HRR (2nd Edition) – (No errors in test plates 7-11)
Richmond (1983) – (6 or fewer errors)
Ishihara pseudoisochromatic plates test, 14 plate (5 or
less errors), 24 plate (6 or less errors) 38 plate (8 or
less errors)
Titmus Vision Tester / OPTEC 2000 – (No errors on six
plates)
Farnsworth Lantern (colored lights) Test per instruction
booklet.
Optec 900 (colored lights) Test per instruction booklet.
An alternative test approved by the Coast Guard
(indicate test)
The verifying medical practitioner must indicate test used and results (number of errors). Additional information must be
reported in Section VII. Color sensing lenses (e.g. X-Chrome) are prohibited.
Color Vision: Normal Color Vision Abnormal Color Vision
Number of Errors _______________
Old 11-02-2011, 10:24   #98

new endorsement ?

I hope the people on this thread can help. I currently hold a 100T w/towing and sail for Great Lakes and inland good until 06/2012, 2nd issue. Have been in the Keys for a while and finally am interested in using my ticket. Do I need a Near Coastal endorsement?(I think so). If so, what are the sea time requirements. Until recently I owned and kept a a 20' CC purchased in 2005 in the keys.
If I do need a near coastal endorsement I have a few questions.
1. Near Coastal-How many days
2. Because my boat in the keys is small, will it affect the issued tonnage issued for this area?
3. Recency- How many days need to be in the last 3 years or one year. There seems to be some confusion at least with me..
4. Turnaround- First time dealing with Miami REC, 1 week, 1 - 3 months ?
5. Thinking this is what I need. Current license+Endorsement request form(whatever it is)+small boat sea time forms+Current TWIC application+ Fees=Complete application. Am I missing anything?
Many Thanks
gofast-goslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 13:29   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast-goslow View Post
I hope the people on this thread can help. I currently hold a 100T w/towing and sail for Great Lakes and inland good until 06/2012, 2nd issue. Have been in the Keys for a while and finally am interested in using my ticket. Do I need a Near Coastal endorsement?(I think so). If so, what are the sea time requirements. Until recently I owned and kept a a 20' CC purchased in 2005 in the keys.
2. Because my boat in the keys is small, will it affect the issued tonnage issued for this area?
3. Recency- How many days need to be in the last 3 years or one year. There seems to be some confusion at least with me..
5. Thinking this is what I need. Current license+Endorsement request form(whatever it is)+small boat sea time forms+Current TWIC application+ Fees=Complete application. Am I missing anything?
Many Thanks
go to USCG National Maritime Center web site are contact then for the 100 ton NC requirements,,,, I can not find it on there web site,,,, you will need near coastal time,,, your small boat should work as not all of the time for a 100 ton license has to be on a large boat,,, you small boat should work if you have the small sea service forum, that can be downloaded from the web

good luck

you no longer deal with the rec except for testing, everything if through NMC,,, the recs just test and are a mail forward place,,,

i think it is 360 in 5 years but only 90 days in the last year

you might need a year of time but some of the great lakes time I THINK can be counted ask NMC for the correct time

also contact MPT in fort lauderdale,,, they can answer your question better as they deal with this every day
Old 18-02-2011, 20:59   #100

Boat: Delfini II, Aloha 32
wow... I have been reading this tread for a while and I find it interesting, that people know so little about the whole lic. issue. Even the ones who work in the industry and I am not talking about the recreational industry. If anyone follow the USCG's new policies, would know, that there are certain tonnage licnses are elliminated due to the fact that they are not recognized by the IMO. (international maritime organization) the US is a member of this organization. The 100GRT lic, is not known or recognized by eny country outside of the US. It is also available as an inland or near coastal. the only reason for those licenses is that there aare still many small push boats, tugs, crew boats and utility boats out there. hey need to be maned and no company would be willing to pay an unlimited master or not even a 1600 master to drive one of those things. No one will be grandfathere in for higher tonnage, simply because of their qualifications would not meet basic international standards. the lowest level of tonnage that is know beyond the US is the 200GRT which is equal to 500 GT internationl tonnage convention. there used to be an oceans endorsment for it, but that was degraded to, what was called domestic oceans endorcement. Meaning, that you can go to any US posession or to Hawaii as a payed crew as long as you did not enter into any other country. If you did, more than likely the company would be required to replace you with someone who holds the proper ticket with all the STCW endorsements. That happened in the bahamas with an offshore tug crew. the company thought in their arrogance, that they just send the crew over with out proper credentials, and the Bahamanians will bow dow to that. Well, the tug and barge was held untill the replacement crew arrived. Anyhw, long story short, USCG licence is not all that. Actually the requirement for the US license is one of the least stringent anywhere in the world. Most of the reason for the system the way it is, is political and thanks to the lobbyists for the companies who does not want to pay the momey for unlimited ticket masters.
Any license under 3rd Mate unlimited is considered a lower level licence, that includes the 1600 GRT master with oceans endorsement.
Because the US is heading toward the international standards in shipping and licencing, it is very difficult to do the hawspipe route. takes a lot of classes and seatime to get there, and onc you actually achieve a 3rd mates ticket, you will in all probability not be able to land a job. All the ocean going merchant man comapies looking for maritime academy graduates. this leaves you with basically with some ferrys and oil field boats to look for work.
Tugs a little different, after the allision with the bridge in alabama, the new regs required that one takes a steersman class, work as aprentice steersman for 360 days of seatime. then he/she get a mates ticket for an other 360, before the MOTV. Master of towing vessel. Well, with this new reg. the coasties shot the industry in the leg, so the reently watered it down. now, if you have 3 years actual experience in the capacity of your licence, you can get the endorsement. BTW, MOTV is not to be confused with the vessel assist endorsement on you 100GRT lic. that is only good for seatow and tow boat us or the likes, will not qualify you to tow or push a barge.
There is a lot of confusion about STCW also. That is required for any license that will allow you to go beyond the 200 mile limit. that is a whole bunch of classes that you have to take, not just a 5 days basic training course.
So if anyone entertain the thought of getting into this business, which btw a well paying profession if you can get a job, would be well advised to go to an academy. If one insist on the haws pipe, be ready for some expensive classes, that will only teach you how to pass the test, hence why you wont be hired on a cargo ship with such background in education. You need an merchant marine credential with OS, Wiper, Steward/food handler endorsement. that is entry level. also you will need the TWIC card, (what a joke that is) then you travel to louisiana, go down the bayou on LA1 and 308, or Morgan city, and start ponding the pavement. that is how you get in. My advise is to stay away from agencies, they are the biggest rip off you ever seen. A car and a motel room for a week will get you a job. Not now of course, there is no work out there now in light of the recently passed events with BP. Start as a deck hand/rigger. Make sure you stay away from under 100 GRT vessels such as utility and crew boats. You need tonnage for getting any kind of licence that counts in the long run. You need to work toward your AB unlimited ticket to be able to get a 1600 GRT lic. no AB unlimited, not lic. that in itself will require you to get a basic safety class, a "combined basic and advanced firefighting, RFPNW, (rating forming part of nvigation watch) the AB prep class, life boat endorsment and CPR. Also you will need 720 days of sea time. You can get that in 2 years on the typical schedule in the gulf. 28 days on, 14 off. then after that, you continue working untill you get enough time to take the class and take the test for 1600 grt mate. after that you'll need and other 360 days as a mate to up the lic. to master. to get there you will need radar, Arpa, bridge resource management, ship's stability, medical care provider, GMDSS, appropriate radio lic. Celestial navigtion, terrestrial navigation, and flashing lights. I am sure I missed something.
Now, you can get something like a OSV restricted lic, thats an other US invention for those who are academically somewhat chellenged, but like anything with restrictions will sverely restrict you employability.
Anyways, this is the long and short of it. I am sure that I have missed a bunch of things, but for anyone who is interested, all you have to do is to go on the USCG's website, and read a bunch of dry policy letters and intentions of policies and also the list of requirements for each licences that are available.
If you go in with a 100tonne lic. to the gulf, with only pleasure boat experience, the only time you can get a job when the patch is booming and they are desperate. Most will not make 3 hitches, some might go as lng as a year, and very few who stays with it.
the money can be good, there are companies who payed a 100 tonner around 350 to 475 a day. typically on the larger supply vessels you can see 500 to 650 a day, some may make more if its a speciallity vessel. An OS (ordenary seaman) would be between 120 to 180 a day ( dollars) an AB from about 185-325 a day. Tugs especially anchor handlers pay well, but there is a better than averge chance to get hurt or killed on one of those.
As for the shortage of mariners. "Captains" are a dime a dozen. Comapanies are crying about shortage, but wont hire. they are lobbying against the Jones act, so they would be able to hire foreig crews. Much cheaper, and better qualified the most seaman I had the missfortune to work with. They were mostly good people in their own ways, but their knowledge and understanding the maritime trade was miserably poor.it takes 4 years actual experience on ocean going essels before you are considered for an AB position outside of the US. Here, we have AB limited, AB special and AB unlimited. Go figure. anywhere else its AB. it is known that that in itself is an achievement.
You would be better off in the engine department. easier to get a job, and as chief eng. the pay is damned close to the master's pay. more people want to be in the ACd wheel house, than down in the belly listening to the motors screaming in the heat and cralling in the bilges changing out valves and pipes.
I would also reccomend to anyone who has any ticket to keep tabs on the going ons at the USCG concerning licencing issues, they are changing and changing fast. you all should keep up with it.
As to the recreational aspect of the work, I cant say much about that, but if telling stories on a tour boat for 10-15 bucks an hour part time suits you, then there is nothing wrong with that either. Yachts...I am sorry if I hurt anyone' feeling here, but being a glorified buttler is just not my idea of making a living. My family have been working around the yachting industry and we have seen these guys running ragged taking care of the owner's dogs, kids, cars, picking them up at the aorports and carrying their luggages. Also running a kindergarten class called crew and sit in ports most of the time with no time off but a week here and there a couple of times a year. As for their pay....some make less, some makes a little more and some makes the same as I do except I only have to work 6 month out of the year. So pick your poison.
Wow, did I write all this crap? I hope it may shed some light on the subject, and I sincerely hope I didn't bore anyone to death.
CaptV USMM master unlim. upon all oceans for what its worth.

ps;
at the end of the day, it is still just a job, and I still have to wake up and go to work, and have a bunch of landlubbers as bosses. So don't think that its all that.
Captv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 09:38   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast-goslow View Post
Many Thanks
Ask Amy! - Maritime Professional Training

Q. Amy,

I am going to renew my USCG license but I do not have the 360 days in the last 5 years needed to renew without taking an exam. Now I am wondering what I will have to do to renew my license and my STCW certificate. Can you help?

Roger

A. Roger,

As you know if you had the 360 days of sea time in the 5 years your license was valid, you would not need to do anything but paperwork to get a new USCG license and STCW Certificate. Since you do not have the 360, you will have to follow a few more steps. However, renewing/revalidating your license is still quite simple. If you have a Master 100 ton or Six Pack license you will simply need to take a 1 day license renewal/refresher course (or a short written open book exam that the USCG mails to you) and if you have STCW, the Basic Safety Training refresher as well.

If your license is 200 ton or higher, with STCW, you will need to either take a 2 day renewal/refresher course (or the written open book exam) and the appropriate STCW refresher courses.

Certain candidates may have additional requirements if they got their license before some new requirements came into effect to bring their license up to the current standard. This would include things like Able Seaman, Lifeboatman and possibly advanced firefighting.

For individual cases, I will review your paperwork for specific answers to your questions.

This is not a difficult process and is well worth the effort. Even if you are not actively working at sea, keeping your license valid is crucial. Because getting it back after it expires beyond grace is a bigger issue.

You must renew your license before the 5 years has passed. The USCG allows you to apply for renewal up to 1 year in advance of your expiry if you will be out of town and because the processing can take several months, submitting the paperwork in advance is very helpful. If you are uncertain as to what their specific requirements will be you can submit the application, physical, drug test and fees and they will send you a pending letter with your training requirements. If you do not renew your license on time, the USCG gives you one additional year of "grace" with which you can renew without penalty, however you cannot operate during this time.

In addition to the courses and paperwork, you will also need to go to the USCG Regional Examination Center nearest to you to give them a new set of fingerprints. This is a new Homeland Security requirement. They do them at the REC using a new electronic process that forwards them directly to the FBI.

If for some reason you decide not to renew your license, reconsider and think about renewing for continuity purposes. This makes your license inactive but revalidates it so you don’t lose it. Then later you can renew it in full active force if you want to.

Keep in mind that in addition to the licensing requirements, there may be some courses you need to take or retake to maintain Flag State Compliance.
Old 24-03-2011, 14:19   #102

Re: USCG Captain's License

Hows everybody doing I'm new to this forum, and had some questions regarding this thread. I just passed the test for my USCG Captains License, and now I'm going through the paperwork nightmare. But my question is, what is the best direction to go to get into the Maritime Industry? I have the towing endorsement and would ultimately like to be a tug Captain or something of the likes, so what are some suggestions? Thanks for the input.
mikebalo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 14:33   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Welcome to the forum Mike!
Post #100 in this thread should answer most of your questions.

Stop past THIS forum and introduce yourself
Old 24-03-2011, 17:10   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebalo09 View Post
Hows everybody doing I'm new to this forum, and had some questions regarding this thread. I just passed the test for my USCG Captains License, and now I'm going through the paperwork nightmare. But my question is, what is the best direction to go to get into the Maritime Industry? I have the towing endorsement and would ultimately like to be a tug Captain or something of the likes, so what are some suggestions? Thanks for the input.
you do not give enough info,,, email me at captainken@chefken.com and I can give you assistance put CAPTAIN INFO in the subject line so I know it is not spam
Old 25-03-2011, 05:43   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mikebalo09.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license