Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2016, 13:21   #16

Boat: Columbia 36
Re: USCG license training from "Nautical School"

To get Near Coastal Master you need 360 days outside the boundary, which in most places is the COLREGS Demarcation Line. Once again, if you owned a boat in coastal waters and you swear you crossed the line, it counts. On any boat, the owner or Master signs off on the time, so your delivery skipper can do that, and your instructor can too. Any boat trip where you acted in some way as crew, not passenger.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 13:30   #17

Boat: Columbia 36

On the time limit, correct, you have one year from the earliest date on any of the paper work and six months on the drug test to complete the process. So its an advantage to have your seatime lined up before you take the course, then do the physical, and the drug test last before you file. I've had a couple students time out trying to get the last few days seatime logged. You have to start all over at that point.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 15:56   #18

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

''Sea Time'' will probably be approved providing you document the time, place, and ideally have a witness (crewmate, friend,ect) verify the trip. You will see on the form what they want. If not taking the approved course, your chances of passing the Coast Guard test are very low. There is a multitude of questions that can be given, some of which not all licensed captains could answer. Another words, quite a few of the questions are open to interpretation, my advice, take the approved course.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 16:22   #19

Boat: 30ft O'Day sailboat

Can you stand one more response? I can only speak to Mariners school and nautical school. I did my initial classroom training for my 1st OUPV with Mariners school. The instruction was good and I passed all of the modules the first time. After that I was on my own getting all the paperwork completed. Luckily I had a lot of help. I renewed through Nautical school. Janine at NS is great. She knows all the requirements, verifies it scans it and sends it to the USCG electronically. NS also has a link with a local Dr. who is certified to do OUPV physicals as well as airline pilots DOT and Police. One stop shop for physical, hearing, drug test etc. the whole nine yds. They send the paperwork to Janine who makes it part of your submittal package. She even goes over sea time with you to make sure it is all correct.

Instruction can be intense if you haven't been in a classroom for a long time but it is nothing to fear. Instructors know this and help you along while keeping it light and fun. You will spend a lot of time doing charting so if you are rusty looking at paper charts and plotting a course you should brush up before you take the course. Same goes for Nav. rules which is the hardest, 50 questions required score 90% = max of 5 wrong. Like someone said it is almost all memorization of the rules, light configurations etc.

The nice thing about NS is there no further showing at the USCG REC's. Pass the exams get the medical done, Janine helps with the paperwork then she sends it in. You sit back take a deep breath and relax about 3-6 weeks later your license is in the mail. By the way if you don't do well enough on any or all of the exams you can sit in on the next class (free) and you have 2 more try's at each exam (again free).

By the way I see that you are in CT so am I, I would be happy to help.
Capt Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 20:13   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
It is possible to pass the USCG exams without taking a course, but not recommended. I did it but I had 10 years experience teaching boat safety and member courses with the US Coast Guard Auxiliary at that time. I had an unfair advantage. I read a couple books to learn the process and what I needed to catch up on, then went to REC Toledo and passed all the exams in one go. I'm the only person I know who did that, but I've met many who failed.
I actually did the same thing, three times! First time was in 1989...only one to pass all modules, that day. Eventually, I let the license lapse, thinking I would never use it again. Wrong! Second time was in 2005. Passed, in one day. Again, I let the license lapse and had to take the test again, in 2012, I believe. By that time the test had gotten much, much harder and more complex, with some new subjects covered. They would only schedule two modules per day, so all the things I wanted to take required three days, and I needed almost every minute. Passed, again, but barely. Maybe I am getting worse as a test taker, but I think it's a lot harder.

Anyway, I much preferred studying on my own, and it wasn't too difficult, using several study guides. I did not want to be "fed" the answers, and think I probably learned more than I would have, had I attended a school. I have lived aboard for over thirty years, and I have sailed a lot, and I happen to think those things actually helped rather than hindered, as well as being an ASA sailing instructor for much of that time. But I do think it's very possible to pass the test on your own, as long as you are willing to do some studying.

On the other hand, I learned a tremendous amount taking a course (required) to fulfill my STCW, which is a requirement for a Master's License to be used abroad. And now, I have to take that again, as there are some new requirements. Oh well.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 20:23   #21
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

thank you Contrail, Capt JGW, Capt Loyd and Capt Dreamer. I think I have a clear path now to all the items other than the class and the test. I single hand often, but also have my wife or friends along too, especially for long trips.

Dreamer, my boat is in Milford, I am in New Haven, glad to meet you NS has a class running in Norwalk, that is close by! I will PM you.
Old 23-12-2016, 20:30   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Another question then - I have no plans to make money from a Capt license I'm looking to retire in the near future. I am first - very interested in the subject matter; second, I love to learn new things (I am a teacher); and third, I'd like to satisfy any insurance company request about crossing the Atlantic or Pacific without a captain.

For this I wonder -- is an OUPV good enough? or Master of some kind (near coastal)? sailing endorsement?

I already have an RYA Coastal Skipper (1,000 NM offshore) which has a lot of COLREGS, nav, charts, as well as the practical exams.
thanks to all the captains here
Old 24-12-2016, 00:41   #23

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

All I can help with is what I did....

1. Actually attained my 720 days of documented time by teaching sailing, and doing charters for five years. I did not fake anything.

2. I thought with all that experience that I was pretty knowledgeable, but myself and our other instructors all signed up and took the U.S.C.G. Prepartory ( for the exam ) class. It was twice a week in the evenings, for several weeks.

3. Superb learning experience, with an excellent instructor that made things much easier and retainable for life. The information was not just learned to take the exam, but to permanently use through out the long years of sailing and power boating. And passing on those helpful learning tips to my students for years to come.

4. In the U.S. we not only have to take the initial exam, which took me one full day for the written and the different categories or evolutions . If you do not pass one of the sections...each section is graded immediately after completion....if you did not pass it...you stopped. No more testing that day. You could return the next day and give it another go. If you failed again, you had to stop, do more study, and wait 30 days to retest and continue.

5. I passed all of sections, passsing varied from 90% on some sections to 70% on others.

6. After all that was passed in one day, I was bushed....and returned the following day for the NAVIGATION section. 90% required to pass. I was successful...and they issued the 100 Ton Merchant Marine Capt. License.

7. But, you are not finished, you still need to put in additional sea time, and renew the license every 5 years. I have 5 renewals, ( 25 years worth ) the last one they boosted the 100 ton up to 500 tons near coastal.

8. To assemble the package for the U.S.C.G... I had the application, I think finger print card, sailing time, all of the different vessels, type, LOA, etc, and recommendations, and other requirements. it was quite a package, and I had it well organized.

9. One other thing. I presented myself 15 minutes early to the U.S.C.G. officer at the testing offices. ( from the military you relieve the watch 15 minutes ahead ), I was clean shaven, nicely dressed in clean pants and a sweater, and had all of my paperwork in order.

In front of me, a applicant had come in late in relation to his appointment time, unshaven, dirty clothes, etc. Now , the U.S.C.G. is a military entity, with military bearing.

The U.S.C.G. officer, told that applicant , he was late and to call and make a new appointment. I was next, he looked at my paperwork, and at me, and said. " Do you want to test for your 100 ton ?" Of course I answered " Yes sir, that would be great. "

At this time, My fifth issue has expired, but I am no longer sailing or boating for hire. But, we do continue to bare boat charter sailing and motor vessels through out the world, and with sending in my sailing resume, I include copies of the five issues of my captains licenses.

Suggest that you

1. Get your sea time verified

2. Find a qualified U.S.C.G. preparatory school in your area. Ask around or search the web. Read the reviews on the school and instructors. There are some highly professional exam prep schools out there. They will help you with what you need .

3. Study hard, this is no wimp test . It took me all of one day, and 3 hrs the next day for just the navigation section.

So, there you have additional info on the U.S.C.G. Licensing plus all of the other help from the CW posters.
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 04:54   #24

Boat: Catalina 34 / Cheoy Lee Offshore

Issues re documenting sea time will become more clear after you download the SVSS (small vessel sea service) form from the USCG.
PappysSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 17:52   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

thanks, everyone. I got an email then a call from Capt Bob Figular of Mariners Learning System. He freely answered all my questions about sea time and more, so I signed up for an OUPV course today with MLS.

Thanks to all of you - I knew what to ask and what time commitment I'm getting into.

See you Captains on the water when it warms up.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:55   #26

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

The National Maritime Center has a drop down menu where you can select the class you would like and they list all the USCG approved schools.

Approved Courses Search

Just click on the tab for courses.
Old 07-01-2017, 16:56   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
Q 1 Answer depends on certificate you are being examined for. Six Pack No. Only when you get to higher licences.

Q 2 Yes the skipper can verify. Or the Delivery Company. Hard to track after the fact. Best to get a form signed at time. Officially only the correct form is accepted. An examiner may accept An Unofficial RYA, ASA log book as proof what you entered on the form. If you are unable to contact a skipper or company particularly if it was signed by the skipper you sailed with.

Q 3 Any time spent on an RYA course will be easily verified. By contacting the school. A day on the water on a practical course will be a day of time.
Thanks, Jack. this is helpful.
the funny thing, once I got the actual form and started filling in the month fields I realized I have so many days on the water, I could easily qualify for a Master grade with days left over.

I am studying right now! red over white, frying tonight.

Tags
cal, license, school