Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2019, 05:21   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Allen key for PSS shaft seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsadler View Post
Hi

I have a PSS seal on my 40mm prop shaft. I have been trying to find Allen keys that are long enough to set the first two grub screws (i.e. nearest to shaft) with a torque wrench but haven't had any luck.

The Allen keys need to be suitable for use with a 1/4inch drive.

Does anyone know where I could source such Allen keys?

Thanks,

Bob
Are these long enough?
https://shop.snapon.com/product/TMAB4.5E
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:52   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
If your PSS collar slips using hand-tight Allen wrenching, then I would question if your engine mounts are allowing too much movement in reverse? (That’s the only logical explanation I can think to allow the shaft to pull outward with that much force. It’s not from water pressure pushing inward, unless it’s a submarine.)
The bellows is pushing on it all of the time. That's where the slippage, if it happens, comes from.

And, yes, theoretically, with everything perfect, it shouldn't ever happen. But, in the real world, it happens more often than it should.

Some of us are just belt and suspenders types, and nothing anyone can say will change that!
Old 06-10-2019, 13:46   #18

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
The bellows is pushing on it all of the time. That's where the slippage, if it happens, comes from.

Actually, SailFastTri made a good point.

Sure, the bellows presses against the collar all the time, but if there is excessive movement in the engine then the whole shaft may move backwards when reverse is selected and massively increase the pressure on the collar.

If there is enough movement, the bellows can be over-compressed and damaged. Not to mention the extra pressure causing the collar to slip.

The backup of hose clamps or a shaft anodes is all very well, but will not save you from a torn bellows brought about by extreme compression.
Old 06-10-2019, 14:06   #19

Boat: Valiant 42

I agree with the idea they something else is wrong. If you use two set screws per PYI instructions and you never reuse the screws then torque isn’t the problem. Double check that you have installed it correctly. “Professional” installation is an oxymoron in my experience. Check it yourself against the factory instructions. Don’t over compress or under compress the bellows. PYI sell a second set of shaft clamps (not a hose clamp) as a backup which i recommend.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shaft seal