Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2016, 22:35   #1

Boat: Ganley Transition 41 (corten steel )
Alternator clutch on Yanmar 4JH3te

Thanks in advance for your input

I have a 75hp Yanmar 4JH3TE turbo with an 80 amp Yanmar alternator on my yacht. I am interested in installing either a manual or electric clutch on the engine that runs the alternator. I would like to be able to disengage the alternator during long voyages.
ski69sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 00:15   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Alternator clutch on Yanmar 4JH3te

Mind if I ask why?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 01:01   #3

Boat: Ganley Transition 41 (corten steel )

Hi There

I believe the alternator is creating static electricity on long 10 hour plus motoring trips. This is only a hunch at this point.

I have a remote regulator I have had all my electrics checked over by a reliable marine electrician on numerous occasions, but I am still having electrical anomalies affecting various equipment on the vessel.

Thanks Raymond
ski69sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 05:29   #4

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski69sail View Post

I have a 75hp Yanmar 4JH3TE turbo with an 80 amp Yanmar alternator on my yacht. I am interested in installing either a manual or electric clutch on the engine that runs the alternator. I would like to be able to disengage the alternator during long voyages.
This can easily be accomplished without a clutch. Install an external regulator with a shutdown feature. You can then switch off the alternator via a switch. Removing the field current from an alternator will shut it off the same as a clutch.

But really there is no need for doing this when you have an external smart regulator. It will shut down the alternator automatically if you program it right. Balmar and others make such regulators.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 05:30   #5

Quote:
Hi There

I believe the alternator is creating static electricity on long 10 hour plus motoring trips. This is only a hunch at this point.

I have a remote regulator I have had all my electrics checked over by a reliable marine electrician on numerous occasions, but I am still having electrical anomalies affecting various equipment on the vessel.

Thanks Raymond
Do you mean there is interference or noise generated by the alternator? Does it cause some effect you can describe? Static electricity is not something an alternator can create.
Old 21-12-2016, 05:48   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Actually a motor or an alternator if brushed can create static electricity.
We have just gone through an issue with electric fuel pumps, apparently the dust and brushes were generating a high static charge that was being discharged through the brush block and damaging the armature, the fix seems to have been both grounding the motor with a ground wire and the motor housing being cad plated as opposed to being painted, cadmium conducts electricity, paint doesn't.
I would ground the thing if you suspect it's building static, yes I now it is already grounded, but the case may not be well grounded, and an additional ground wire can't hurt anyway.
I think it unlikely, but then I didn't believe that was the problem with the fuel pump either.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 07:28   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I'm wondering how static could build up unless the alternator is somehow isolated from the engine's ground and prop shaft for that matter.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 08:35   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

MHO is you are opening a big can of worms unnecessarily. You may consider filtering power to your electronics or shielding them, just as an far flung idea. You might consider seeing what may be turning on or off when you have an electronics problem.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 11:46   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:

The switch in the field wire is the easiest way to depower the alternator but make sure it's a DC switch ( dont ask me how I know). Dont know enuff about yr static problem to know if that will fix it tho as the rotor will still be spinning
Compass790 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 16:18   #10

Quote:
Hi There

Thanks Raymond
I do not think that an alternator can create static electricity as you have "alternating" current and therefore the positives cancel out the negatives and therefore cannot produce "static." What problems are you having? I have never seen someone turn off an alternator. Try me as I have solved many problem with electronic interference...
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 16:53   #11

You may want contact Maine Sail regarding these issues.

compassmarineservices@gmail.com
hhmsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 17:59   #12

The OP has gone silent. I suspect the issue is that the alternator causes static interference in some electronics such as the stereo or VHF radio. That would not be the result of "static electricity". Alternators have 6 phase rectifiers and can create a high frequency noise signal that varies with engine RPM. Depending on how the power system is wired this noise may be present on the DC bus. It most often happens when the output of the alternator does not run directly to the house battery. But it can also happen when the alternator output + and - wires are run far apart yet close to other equipment wires.

The solution is to run the + and - wires from the alternator directly to the house bank keeping both wires close together the entire run and separated from other wiring. A lot of installations don't take this care in the wiring.
Old 21-12-2016, 18:19   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

To cut alternator whine on aircraft radios, often a capacitor is added to the output. It does help.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...torfilter.php?
There are cheaper capacitors of course as we don't need FAA / PMA parts on boats.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, clutch, yanmar