Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2008, 02:11   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
maybe.....
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 06:46   #17

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hmm... looks like a copper coated bronze prop painted with propspeed, highlighted with a pink magic marker, used only north of Florida, run periodically at cavitation speed and soaked in anti-barnacle scent is the way to go.
Where can I get some anti-barnacle scent...
Seriously, it looks like the prop will be off to the electro-platers soon - only concern is - if its such a good idea, why wasn't it common practice for the last 50 years.
Oh don't forget, the guy here at the marina told me to ground jalapeno peppers and put them in the paint, that's how he keeps his bottom clean (i think he meant the boat).

Actually that was one of the people who told me about the magic marker.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 07:54   #18
cruiser

I actually just slap bottom paint on my prop. Works pretty well. Some of the paint comes off, due to water passing by the prop, but those are the areas that don't get growth due to the water action anyway.

The bottom paint stays put in the parts of the prop where the barnicles take hold, and discourages their growth.

I also slap the paint on the shaft, but of course not on any zincs.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 07:59   #19
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude9.5 View Post
I've never been anywhere in south florida where that applies.
It doesn't apply in the SF Bay, either. I don't know where DavidM is getting his information.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 08:01   #20

i've used bottom paint on the prop in the past, but whenever i haul the boat the only left is the primer, the paint falls off pretty quickly... at least in my case.
Old 19-02-2008, 08:23   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude9.5 View Post
i've used bottom paint on the prop in the past, but whenever i haul the boat the only left is the primer, the paint falls off pretty quickly... at least in my case.
Since we have some varying results, I will add:

I use Petit (or West Marine rebranded Petit) ablative paint on my bottoms and props. I apply with no primer, and let dry a few days before launching.

With that exact process, most of the bottom paint stays on the prop (about 2/3 of it)
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 08:31   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
It doesn't apply in the SF Bay, either. I don't know where DavidM is getting his information.
From my own boat.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 08:32   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
From my own boat. Your welcome to dive on it and see for yourself.

Old 19-02-2008, 08:40   #24
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Honestly, I don't care that much. But in my 14 years in the hull cleaning biz in the Bay Area, I have yet to come across the prop that stays clean all the time. Regardless of how often it is used. Maybe we have different definitions of "clean".
Old 19-02-2008, 08:43   #25

Quote:
Power or sail?

I used my dinghy 5 times a day min when we were living on the ball in the okeechobee waterway, i scraped my motor and prop every week, when I didn't it was like towing a boot and when I waited too long it spun the hub on the prop due to the added weight. Granted the st lucie river is a very high fouling area, but this was a boat being used back and forth to shore several times per day and it fouled monthly. This was the case for all of use at the anchorage.

For that matter, I had my prop scraped 2.5 weeks before we left the anchorage and it was fouled by the time we got out of there... to the extent that it vibrated.
Old 19-02-2008, 08:43   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Do you ever clean commercial boats that get lots of use?...or yachts that are lucky to leave the dock twice a month? That was my point...with lots of use they do stay clean.

I know that is impractical for most yacht owners, but it is still a valid point. Yes, I have had a few barnacles on the shaft and the propeller hub but it has never been a significant amount and never enough where it becomes a concern with respect to drag.

Old 19-02-2008, 09:10   #27
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Do you ever clean commercial boats that get lots of use?...or yachts that are lucky to leave the dock twice a month? That was my point...with lots of use they do stay clean.
OK, maybe you're the exception. For myself, I have performed over 20,000 underwater hull cleanings in the SF Bay and I'm telling you, props do not stay clean. And I have yet to see a prop anti fouling solution that is a miracle cure. Just my experience and my $.02.
Old 19-02-2008, 09:25   #28

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Albeit in relatively colder New England waters, my prop stays clean regardless of what I put on it as long as the boat gets used regularly. When I can anticipate a low activity sailing season, I've used Petit Zinc Coat Barnacle Paint which lasts the entire season with excellent results. I believe it's formulation differs from the typical zinc chromate and so-called galvanize paint such that it doesn't promote electrolysis, adheres well and is relatively cheap.
Short of copper cladding the bronze prop which is an inherently bad thing to do, it appears to me to be the best alternative for this area with the stipulation one uses the requisite pink magic marker as a primer..
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 09:25   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
OK, maybe you're the exception. For myself, I have performed over 20,000 underwater hull cleanings in the SF Bay and I'm telling you, props do not stay clean. And I have yet to see a prop anti fouling solution that is a miracle cure. Just my experience and my $.02.
Thanks Fast. I appreciate the discussion from an expert like yourself. I have seen you around different marinas. I will say hello next time I see you, thats if you don't already have your head underwater.

David M

Old 19-02-2008, 09:32   #30
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
\I will say hello next time I see you, thats if you don't already have your head underwater.
Us hull cleaners are pretty easy to spot. See you out on the docks.

Tags
anti-fouling