Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2023, 16:31   #16

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Re: Any ideas for pulling prop shaft?

At worst, it will transmit load to the thrust bearing, which I will be removing and having serviced anyways. That being said, I suspect it should just pup the shaft out of the clamp collar, without doing any damage.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2023, 17:59   #17

Boat: Island Packet 40

There's some images on a thread on changing a cutless bearing with the shaft in which illustrates a tool for coring the old bearing out. Last year I think.
Old 23-05-2023, 18:03   #18

Not sure what that has to do with this thread, but thanks. I'll try and find it.
Old 23-05-2023, 18:23   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
At worst, it will transmit load to the thrust bearing, which I will be removing and having serviced anyways. That being said, I suspect it should just pup the shaft out of the clamp collar, without doing any damage.

I agree. What type of shaft seal is lurking in the background? If its a volvo type, polish the shaft and oil it so the lipseal survives, same story with the PSS type, the orings need to be treated carefully.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2023, 18:30   #20

It's a PSS. If I end up keeping it, I'll be getting a service kit with new o-rings anyways. I am thinking of going to a Lasdrop Gen 2. Still up in the air on that.
Old 23-05-2023, 20:27   #21
cruiser

I had same problem on similar set up-here is what I did. 1. sprayed Penetrating oil all coupling areas,2. then rigged with 1/2 docklines a spanish windlass to keep a steady pull aft 3. took a cold chisel and placed in split of coupling4. tapped with 2lb hammer around split until it started to widen which means its moving aft. continued at 90degree intervals and then kept tightening spanish windlass ---------.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2023, 02:23   #22

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Not sure what that has to do with this thread, but thanks. I'll try and find it.
My options were to remove the prop shaft or find a way to remove the bearing with the prop shaft in place.

Removing the prop shaft required either removing the rudder, to take it out astern, or remove the engine to remove it to forward. Ultimately it was a far simpler and much less work to mill out the bearing with the prop shaft in place.
Old 24-05-2023, 03:25   #23

Ah, I see. Well I can't find your post about it, but regardless, I also want to service/replace the shaft seal and pull the thrust bearing/aquadrive for service, all of which at least requires moving the shaft back about a foot. And at that point, it's easier to just pull it entirely.
Old 29-05-2023, 06:49   #24

Boat: Cooper 416

Use a socket smaller than the shaft size . Place it between the two couplers and retighten. It should push the shaft out of the coupler. Use some heat if they added some JB weld or epoxy.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 16:39   #25

Any ideas for pulling prop shaft?

The socket won’t work in this instance because the shaft goes into a dead end hole. What might be worth a try is tapping/knocking the propeller hub aft with a decent block of wood, the thrust bearing and the slip joint on the CV shaft will stop the impacts from reaching the gearbox but just don’t use too much force, the cross member supporting the thrust bearing will be copping the impact albeit via the rubber isolators.
A bit off topic but here’s what happens if the socket method is done carelessly, with too much pressure or too few bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3135.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	276004  
Old 29-05-2023, 16:48   #26

I ended up using a slide hammer threaded on to the end of the prop shaft. Worked really well.
Old 29-05-2023, 18:12   #27

Quote:
I ended up using a slide hammer threaded on to the end of the prop shaft. Worked really well.

Excellent, thanks for the update, did it take much force to pop the shaft out of the pinch?
Old 29-05-2023, 19:18   #28

Honestly, with the size and weight of the slide hammer, I couldn't tell the actual moment it came out. I suspect, I may have to use it to get the shaft back into the collar.
Old 30-05-2023, 21:21   #29

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
I'm pulling my prop shaft to replace the cutlass bearings, but instead of a flanged coupling, it looks like my prop shaft is secured in a clamp attached to the thrust bearing. I've loosened the bolts, but I'm not sure where to start in pulling it out. I'm thinking I'll use some strap wrenches to twist the clamp and shaft to at least break any remaining hold they have on eachother. Hopefully it will slide back then, but any tricks would be appreciated.

Wedge it apart slightly by driving in a small wedge where the split is, pretty normal procedure.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote