Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2023, 15:48   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Any ideas for pulling prop shaft?

I'm pulling my prop shaft to replace the cutlass bearings, but instead of a flanged coupling, it looks like my prop shaft is secured in a clamp attached to the thrust bearing. I've loosened the bolts, but I'm not sure where to start in pulling it out. I'm thinking I'll use some strap wrenches to twist the clamp and shaft to at least break any remaining hold they have on eachother. Hopefully it will slide back then, but any tricks would be appreciated.

Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 15:53   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Any ideas for pulling prop shaft?

don't often come across something like this......looks like your boat has a thrust bearing setup...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 15:55   #3
Marine Service Provider

seems like the the two halves should come apart....would help if you can rotate the shaft 90 degrees
Old 22-05-2023, 15:57   #4

It's not a clamshell, it's a split collar. I've already loosened the bolts. I'm pretty sure the collar is permanently attached to the thrust bearing. Or if it's not, I'd prefer not to detach it.
Old 22-05-2023, 16:05   #5
Marine Service Provider

I've googled several thrust bearing setups.....could not find yours....but if you have the make and model number you could try google it....I saw several google diagrams of one, just not your model..
Old 22-05-2023, 16:07   #6

Boat: Columbia 36

Take the clamp bolts all the way out, then try to pry the coupling halves apart. Maybe a slot head screwdriver forced into the seam. One side should pop off. Twisting it won't help, there should be a keyway and key to prevent the shaft turning independently.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 16:15   #7
Marine Service Provider

The key and keyway may prevent rotational slippage, but there is usually also a bolt or pin to keep the shaft from spinning out while in reverse...would be nice to see the other side and also a view from the top..
Old 22-05-2023, 16:25   #8

Boat: Columbia 36

I had a coupler similar to that on an old Albin engine. I don't remember there being a cross pin. One side of the coupler was attached to the trans, the other was free floating on the bolts. Remove the bolts and that half the coupler came off freeing the shaft.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 16:28   #9

Hm, I'll have to check tomorrow. I was pretty sure it wasn't a clamshell design, but maybe I missed something. It makes sense that there would be a keyway though. Thanks
Old 22-05-2023, 16:39   #10

Hello Mauddib 1116,, On some split couplers, this is the procedure: (Yours may be different). Remove the bolts going into the split and re-install in the opposite direction. Put a piece of hard metal, like 316 SS into the slots, blocking off the holes. Tighten the bolts hard in. The bolts will push against the metal pieces and force the slots to expand. Theoretically. Good luck. It has worked for me.
oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 18:40   #11

Weirding module?
JEB
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 18:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonian View Post
Hello Mauddib 1116,, On some split couplers, this is the procedure: (Yours may be different). Remove the bolts going into the split and re-install in the opposite direction. Put a piece of hard metal, like 316 SS into the slots, blocking off the holes. Tighten the bolts hard in. The bolts will push against the metal pieces and force the slots to expand. Theoretically. Good luck. It has worked for me.

That’s a neat trick with the reversed bolts Oregonian
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2023, 12:28   #13

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

I don't see a schematic or a sketch of the parts, however here's guess as to what might work:
Has the edge of the shaft been cut to allow half of the bolt to act as a retaining pin? if so, the bolt must be completely removed before any disassembly. Apply penetrating oil into the bolt hole and along the flange. If it won't move, get or make a plate to match the flange holes, place a socket slightly smaller than the shaft between the end of the shaft and the plate. Insert bolts and tighten them. If no movement, my guess as to resolving the issue is incorrect for this application.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2023, 15:42   #14

So my recollection was correct, the clamping collar is a single piece with two slots, it doesn't come apart, and there are no set screws. I talked with a mechanic at the yard, and he confirmed that I should use Oregonian's trick, which I did, so the collar is spread slightly apart. The shaft is still not moving, so I've disassembled the prop and removed the retaining nut. I will borrow a slide hammer from the mechanics shop to break the shaft free. Before I do so, I will double and triple check for any set screws that I've missed, but I don't think I have.

Old 23-05-2023, 16:25   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

You could damage your transmission using a slide hammer, I'd recommend against it