Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2016, 19:49   #1

Boat: Marples 37
Anybody recognize this dripless bearing

I'm hoping someone will recognise this dripless bearing.

At the moment it is anything but dripless with maybe a litre or two per hour entering the boat when the engine is run than tailing off to nothing a day or so after I shut down.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2653.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	131658   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2655.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	131659  

CGirvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 20:09   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Re: Anybody recognize this dripless bearing

I would take it off and use a pss one ! Spares all over for them and the unit in the photo doesn't have a rotor !
PSS Shaft Seal: The world’s leading dripless seal.
Looks almost home made !
Old 24-09-2016, 05:05   #3

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Looks like it could be a oil filled system with lip seals on each end, or just a simple water lubricated lip seal system. If so replacing the lip seals can be an easy and simple fix.

Biggest issue is scores in the shaft, ideally shift it slightly by reducing the length of the rubber a few mm so it wears on a clean shaft portion.

Look at the tides marine shaft seal system for an example of a replacable lip seal system.

Of course it might be somethibg else, really need more pics.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-09-2016, 05:21   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

If the boat has sat for extended periods of non-use, or if the hose has not been pulled from the shaft log a long period, dried salt or carbonate builds up, and prevents the pressurized, hose- supplied water from exiting thru the shaft log. This causes the water to expel from the forward seal, into the boat. This can be extremely critical, as eventually the front water-input section will lock up, rip the feeder hose from the engine, and rotate with the shaft. Recently replaced one of these ( well- both shafts actually ) after the near sinking of a big Trojan motoryacht.
Old 24-09-2016, 06:03   #5

Boat: Ontario32

I agree with Emmalina, change it out to a PSS unit. The world distributor is next door in Washington State, PYI on the web. They have a distributor in YVR (Vancouver). For what its worth, we have had one of these on both our last and our current ship without any issues.
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 09:01   #6

Also, a good idea would be to check alignment and worn engine mounts
dick sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 09:26   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick sargent View Post
Also, a good idea would be to check alignment and worn engine mounts
True. I have a PSS aft of an Aquadrive (universal coupler) unit because I have a steel boat and wanted to isolate the shaft from the transmission for vibrational and electrical reasons. But I took some time to "zero in" the alignment, because you want even wear with these setups.

PSS works great for me.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 13:48   #8

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Interesting, two Pss units on boats I have worked on both leaked a fine salt spray... Kind of put me off them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-09-2016, 17:13   #9

I'll certainly be dealing with it at next haulout, either replacing it or repairing it if I can find out what brand it is or what the problem is. Maybe it's meant to drip but I can't find any info for it anywhere. Nobody else has any ideas as to what brand this is.
Old 24-09-2016, 19:47   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Looks like it could be a oil filled system with lip seals on each end, or just a simple water lubricated lip seal system. If so replacing the lip seals can be an easy and simple fix.

Biggest issue is scores in the shaft, ideally shift it slightly by reducing the length of the rubber a few mm so it wears on a clean shaft portion.
I agree. Norscot offers another, similar system at Norscot Home . I had a Norscot for years, experienced shaft scoring, and eventually replaced it with a PSS....
Tugwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 22:01   #11

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugwit View Post
I agree. Norscot offers another, similar system at Norscot Home . I had a Norscot for years, experienced shaft scoring, and eventually replaced it with a PSS....
Have a look here
Re-Packing A Traditional Stuffing Box Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

and he thinks its a typo: dripless should have been drip less
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 06:23   #12

Boat: GibSea 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
True. I have a PSS aft of an Aquadrive (universal coupler) unit because I have a steel boat and wanted to isolate the shaft from the transmission for vibrational and electrical reasons. But I took some time to "zero in" the alignment, because you want even wear with these setups.

PSS works great for me.
Aquadrive eliminate vibration perception, but not the vibration itself. And too much vibration spell trouble for a dripless shaft bearing. The sideway movement of the shaft beats the dripless function of the bearing. Propeller and shaft itself shall be seriously checked. Your dripless bearing do not look like a PSS. On my sailboat a French pourly made dripless shaftseal was leaking badly. I remove it to find the the stailess part was a very cheap stailess steel washer that was to properly attached to its bakelite support... Replaced it with a genuine PSS 10 years ago, and dripping is a forgotten malady.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 09:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugwit View Post
Thanks for the info, this does look similar but mine doesn't have an oil reservoir the hose just runs to above the waterline.