Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 17-01-2008, 01:56   #196

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Mody. I accept what you say. I used this forum to describe a problem we had. I included that the boat operator felt the props were not behaving correctly, and not behaving as expected. As a believer in variable pitch I wanted to re-assess my view with a wider range of opinions. I still believe the principle is right but I am concerned about the boat I buy being able to motor of a lee shore in a force 8-9 and we were struggling in a f6. I don't expect to have to, but I need to know if it will. I think, from comments above, many boats are not properly prop'd. Simple or auto types. And the complication of shaft dimensions to avoid vibration issues, and accuracy of shaft alignment and - well it goes on doesn't it. Man over board procedures in those conditions were another issue! It's a worry I'll lay to rest before I take on any serious weather. Presently my gut feeling is that it would be better to be slightly over propped than under, and this is not the place to save money. Being overpropped should save fuel and wear (reduced revs) but in light conditions, weather and boat, the engine should be near it's maximum power rev band at full throttle. Does this make sense?
Old 29-01-2008, 09:01   #197

Boat: Jeanneau SO40 - Whirlwind
I am in the process of purchasing a boat with an autoprop. It seems to function well but there is a noticable "CLUNK" when it engages in forward (but not reverse). Is this a normal situation or is there a maintenance issue. There is zero vibration when underway. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
derekp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 09:17   #198

Boat: 2008 Hunter 49
We liked our AutoProp very much and there was a clunk. You are also supposed to leave the AutoProp in forward gear when sailing so you won`t have too many clunks since it is generally in forward. Our only problem was having a blade fall off (which also happened to another friend of ours). Ours had just been serviced in June and this happened in September so it wasn`t a lack of maintenance.

Because of that we won`t be getting it on our new boat.
jayncee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 18:38   #199
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayncee View Post
Our only problem was having a blade fall off (which also happened to another friend of ours). Ours had just been serviced in June and this happened in September so it wasn`t a lack of maintenance.
Despite what the Autoprop defenders on this forum have to say about it, losing blades is a frighteningly common problem with these props.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 21:40   #200

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
Quote:
Despite what the Autoprop defenders on this forum have to say about it, losing blades is a frighteningly common problem with these props.
I'm surely in no position to defend anyone, and don't intend to....but it was explained earlier the problem of the blades falling off was one of poor maintenance, was it not? It seems unfair to me to blame a manufacturers product when the owner has failed to follow the maintenance procedures published by the manufacturer, don't you think?

I have no interest in Autoprop, don't work for them and don't own one, but I'm considering re-proping my boat and have followed this link closely as I've narrowed my search down to the Autoprop and the Maxiprop. If there is a better alternative, I'd sure like to hear about it.

Regards,

TJ
Old 29-01-2008, 22:21   #201
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
I'm surely in no position to defend anyone, and don't intend to....but it was explained earlier the problem of the blades falling off was one of poor maintenance, was it not? It seems unfair to me to blame a manufacturers product when the owner has failed to follow the maintenance procedures published by the manufacturer, don't you think?
Unfair to blame the manufacturer? How many other props have a cronic problem with throwing blades, regardless of maintenance? None that I'm aware of. See below. You do the math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayncee View Post
Our only problem was having a blade fall off (which also happened to another friend of ours). Ours had just been serviced in June and this happened in September so it wasn`t a lack of maintenance.
I think the Autoprop is a poorly designed piece of equipment and I think enough horror stories have been told on this forum alone to bear that out.

Edit: Let me rephrase that. The Autoprop is a very cleverly designed piece of equipment that in more than one aspect (IMHO) is not robust enough to reliably do the job it was intended for.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 10:11   #202

Boat: 2008 Hunter 49
Totally agree with you since, as you noted, it had just been serviced 3 months previously. It would really be a big problem if it happened away from the coast unless you had a spare and were able to change it. The blade also can do some serious damage. Fortunately our blade just damaged the gelcoat and didn`t puncture the hull which has happened according to the diver that replaced our prop. I definitely would not have one on our boat.
jayncee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:14   #203

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS 44FT
I have had a Autoprop for 8 years without a proplem. Was the prop serviced by AB marine or the boat yard? I could tell countless stories of problems because some boat yards do not have a clue about maintaining something as simple as a thru-hull fitting I can see how they could screw up a Autoprop. If AB Marine did the service I stand corrected. There is no good reason the blade would fall off if it was installed properly. it is a straight forward process with std acceptable fastening procedures. As a side note I have owned a fastener distribution co since 1985 and have been in the std and specialty fastener field since 1974.
David Knebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 16:29   #204

David

Dear david

My god That is too much.......

i have found you AB Marine service claim absurd and mislerading.

My erxperience: The service I have received from them was a bunch of misleading e mails costing me now in excess of 10,000$. I can show you the bills.

They don't know the product they are selling and the problems associated with the unique design of the AUTOPROP. Reading a couple of books should help them but they seem to be very busy exhibiting in marine shows to learn what they are selling

Sorry that is my experience, and I would like to share with other fellow cruisers.

In my modest opinion as sailor and engineer. MANY, I WOULD SAY THOUSANDS of yards all over the world can service this prop and many others even better than the AB folks.

ABOUT MY CASE

I'm still giving the AUTOPROP a second chance and my yacht will be soon in the water again, so i can tell you if the AUTOPROP works or not for me.

The pic illustrates the works in MB 92 yard in Barcelona Spain of ZEN my Hanse 531, The shaft is being entirely refitted due to the vibration problems of the AUTOPROP plus the real messy engine drive installation of HANSE.

This particulars can be followed in

refitting the shaft system Hanse

Thanks to everybody

Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knebes View Post
I have had a Autoprop for 8 years without a proplem. Was the prop serviced by AB marine or the boat yard? I could tell countless stories of problems because some boat yards do not have a clue about maintaining something as simple as a thru-hull fitting I can see how they could screw up a Autoprop. If AB Marine did the service I stand corrected. There is no good reason the blade would fall off if it was installed properly. it is a straight forward process with std acceptable fastening procedures. As a side note I have owned a fastener distribution co since 1985 and have been in the std and specialty fastener field since 1974.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imagen061-1.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	2600  
jose r vigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 18:13   #205

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS 44FT
Chill out for Christ sakes.
David Knebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 14:50   #206

Works to try to fit autoprop again

Dear Sailors

That the final steps lamination of two SS plates to hold the V strut

Jose
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Imagen010.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	2691  
Old 15-02-2008, 14:59   #207

V strut for AUTOPROP

Dear Sailors

Pic one E glass add on to finer the skeg deadwood.

That converts turbulent water into laminar flow ( more or less).

Pic two Building the V strut in SS
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Imagen10.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	2692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Imagen008-1.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	2693  

Old 15-02-2008, 15:02   #208

Before painting

Dear Sailors

Final aligment check before starting the paint work

jose
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Imagen003.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	2694  
Old 15-02-2008, 15:07   #209

Dear David

I didnt want to offend anybody, I just have had a bad experience

Thanks for your patience.

The cost of the works here displayed 25,000 Euro plus vat.

More pics with complete works tomorrow

AUTOPROP check with new shaft soon

Jose
Old 16-02-2008, 07:03   #210

Completion of the shaft refitting to try AUTOPROP again

Dear Sailors

Here you can see the works almost completed

You can see more pics and adittional information in another thread

REFITTING THE SHAFT SYSTEM HANSE 531

Goos winds

jose