Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2011, 09:48   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Autoprop Propeller - Help !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajames View Post
Question I have a spare 3 blade fixed for back up but have no nut for it. Shaft is
1 1/4 (at least those are the anodes I buy that fit). Please advise me on a nut and threads and pin for my fixed blade. I need to buy one but probably have to order from the states. Thanks
See the attachment........... 7/8"-9 TPI

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	propshaftdims.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	446.0 KB
ID:	32701  
Old 17-10-2011, 09:49   #17

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames

Thanks very much
Old 17-10-2011, 09:50   #18
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
This is one of the reasons I went with the Max-Prop! They are packed with grease until it oozes out the seams, preventing any water, or sea life, ingress into the works.
Not so. The Max Prop is lubricated with waterproof grease, but it is not watertight, nor is it designed to be. Water does enter the body of the prop. But the tolerances in the seams between the body parts are too close for any fouling organisms to get in. Or more precisely, they are too close for any sizable fouling organisms to get in. In any event, the guts of a Max Prop are not exposed.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 10:00   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Not so. The Max Prop is lubricated with waterproof grease, but it is not watertight, nor is it designed to be. Water does enter the body of the prop. But the tolerances in the seams between the body parts are too close for any fouling organisms to get in. Or more precisely, they are too close for any sizable fouling organisms to get in. In any event, the guts of a Max Prop are not exposed.
If water gets in then the instructions were not followed properly. It calls for no air space during assembly. Even if assembled under water, pumping grease into the zerk fittings is suppose to force out the water. But what do I know?
Old 17-10-2011, 10:07   #20
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
If water gets in then the instructions were not followed properly. It calls for no air space during assembly. Even if assembled under water, pumping grease into the zerk fittings is suppose to force out the water. But what do I know?
No offense, but there is no such instruction in the manual. In fact, packing the body with as much grease as you are advising would impede the operation of the prop.
Old 17-10-2011, 10:21   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
No offense, but there is no such instruction in the manual. In fact, packing the body with as much grease as you are advising would impede the operation of the prop.
That's the impression I get in 2-D & F, and 6 - p. 4 & 5 of the instruction manual. >> http://www.pyiinc.com/images/pdf/max...structions.pdf
Old 17-10-2011, 10:37   #22
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nowhere in the manual does it say that there must be no air (or water) in the body of the prop. Yes, you lube it until you see grease coming out of the seams. But this does not mean you lube it until there is nothing but grease in the body of the prop. In fact, PYI will tell you that after lubricating the prop, if the blades do not rotate easily, to take the zerk fittings out and move the blades and let the excess grease escape. It is absolutely possible to put too much grease in a Max Prop.
Old 10-11-2011, 17:41   #23

I have an Autoprop. AB Marine had rebuilt the prop in 2007. In May of 2009 and 225 hours later a blade came off. I sent it to AB Marine who sent it Buntons Marine in England. Buntons Marine replaced the blade for $1500. I had the prop lubricated every six months. I am always in deep water. It never touched anything but saltwater. I only go to Catalina and back. Other than the lost blade there was not any evidence of damage or distress.

At the time Steve Armitage of AB Marine told me that losing a blade was a “rare occurrence” and that he did not have an explanation for why the blade fell off. David Sheppard of Brunton's Propellers Ltd, told me losing a blade is an “an exceptional case”. Contrary to their comments the prop has been subject to a recall for lost blades. If you search other support groups and blogs you will find many others that have lost Autoprop blades. It demeans their credibility to say otherwise.

Although I enjoy the performance of my Autoprop my experience with AB Marine and Brunton's Propellers has been extremely disappointing. They are unwilling to stand behind their expensive product. In all their replies I feel like I am hearing from a politician trying to avoid giving a straight answer. I would stay away from anything that might need to be serviced by AB Marine or Buntons Marine (Varifold, Autoprop, Gori).
Silver Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote