Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2016, 13:12   #16

Re: benefit of feathering prop on fuller keeled boat?

I have had I think 5 feathering props. I Like them. However, one does have to question if it's worth $2500-3500.... especially on a boat with a thick keel forward of it...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 13:21   #17

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

They especially benefit a thick keeled boat by providing 100% thrust in reverse.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 13:37   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
They especially benefit a thick keeled boat by providing 100% thrust in reverse.
Yep, they are excellent in reverse for sure.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 13:53   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
No, TN still has the fixed prop.
Thanks for reply. Have prop shaft out of Foxglove doing the cutless at the moment amd was wondering whether to investigate a feathering prop but think will stick with the three blader for now!

Cheers

Pat
foxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 16:17   #20

Boat: Tartan 40

My old boat was full keel. Huge difference. But second best for sailing is 2 blade you can lock vertical. Kills motoring performance, or at least did in my old Luders 33

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 19:39   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Doubt a feathering prop will have any positive effect on the performance of a dull keel boat. Made two deliveries of Westsail 32's with 3 blade fixed props. Our boat had a two blade that we locked vertical behind the deadwood. We made slightly better days runs, a knot or two, with 3 blade equipped boats than ours in near identical conditions.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 19:46   #22

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Having had a full keeled Lord Nelson 35 with a Maxprop (already installed when I bought the boat) I can't give you before and after results, only feathered vs. non feathered speeds. About a knot savings at 5-6 knots.
Reverse from 6 knots to full stop with a 20k lb ++ boat? ONE boat length from 6+ knots when motoring in no wind.
This was in the middle of the night in the Straits of Juan de Fuca when we came upon an unlit net directly ahead.
The only way we saw it was the "native american" splashed his net with a spotlight, then me in the face.
These are the same who killed whales "because their treaty said they could".

Don't get me started on fishing rights...: rolleyes:: rolleyes:: rolleyes:

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 11:18   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
My old boat was full keel. Huge difference. But second best for sailing is 2 blade you can lock vertical. Kills motoring performance, or at least did in my old Luders 33

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Hi, I contemplating buying a Luders 33, do you mean the feathering prop killed the motor performance or only because it was a two blade and not a three? Cheers Brad from South Australia
Brad Fehring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 06:10   #24

Boat: Tartan 40
benefit of feathering prop on fuller keeled boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Fehring View Post
Hi, I contemplating buying a Luders 33, do you mean the feathering prop killed the motor performance or only because it was a two blade and not a three? Cheers Brad from South Australia

Sorry-2 blade solid prop can be locked flush in aperture which helps sailing performance but is pretty terrible for motoring. You need 3-4 blades to get power into the water on that boat. But that with a solid prop isn’t great for sailing performance.
So a 3-4 blade feathering prop is probably ideal. I had a 4 blade variprop and was able to cruise at 6.4-6.5 knots with my yanmar 3YM30
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 10:29   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have had fixed three blade and two blade props on different full keel boats. The two blade prop did fine motoring in typical conditions where you'd be motoring. Two blade are the most efficient prop with the added advantage of limited drag sailing. A three blade will be smoother and work better in some conditions especially reverse but not enough to give up on the hit, however small, for sailing. But then I'm all in favor of sailing than turning on that stinking piece of iron.

Personally think feathering props are damned expensive for the benefits and another thing to maintain and screw up on a full keel boat with the prop in an aperture. If you've got a fin keel with the prop fully exposed to the rush of water it's another story but a folding propellor is designed for that. One big issue with feathering and fixed props is there tendency to pick up hitch hikers that a folding prop doesn't have.

FWIW did see a W32 with a 3 blade prop sailing at near hull speed in Newport Beach Harbor during a Santa Ana bring the boat to a full stop in short order using the engine with all sail still flying. It wasn't a miraculous feat of seamanship but a doctor sailing solo for the first time who hadn't figured how he was going to stop it before running into the bridge by the
old Cannery.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel