Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2021, 10:34   #1

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Best prop shaft line cutter. Knife

Please post your experience with shaft mounted line cutters.
And from divers, best reasonable priced knife.
Thank you in advance for posts.
Mark and the manatee crew
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 13:26   #2

Boat: Island Packet 485, 52'
Re: Best prop shaft line cutter. Knife

I don't have any personal experience myself, but our delivery captain asked that we buy a serrated bread knife and keep it in the plastic until needed. He said they work great for crab and lobster traps.

Sean
disputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 13:31   #3

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Very happy with Spurs. Know they cut long lines several times. Good customer service too.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 13:50   #4

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Reasonably priced? I don't know what is reasonable to you.

I have a Spyderco Carribean G-10 folding knife that is my go-to knife whenever we are in a tight spot. It is almost frightening how well it cuts just about anything. I'm not a knife person but I think Spiderco has really good knives. I'd look at their Atlantic Salt, Rescue 3 or similar knives in their line.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 15:26   #5

Spider knife is gets excellent reviews. Not sure how it holds up in salt water...any experience or issues?
Thanks. Mark
Old 24-04-2021, 15:34   #6
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

another knife that cuts nylon line easily is the ceramic knives. from my experience they cut better then the serrated. but are prone to chipping.
Old 24-04-2021, 15:40   #7

Boat: 46 ft cutter

Glad I saw this thread.
I bought a new bread cutting knife, and was probably gonna toss the old one.
Now I have a new project. I think I’ll use my grinder with a cutting wheel to cut the long, old knife in half, drill out some holes and make up a wood handle for the new 1/2 blade.
Then I‘ll have two rope cutting knives handy.
PirateGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 15:52   #8

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Spider knife is gets excellent reviews. Not sure how it holds up in salt water...any experience or issues?
Thanks. Mark
I have had mine for three years and it spends full time on the boat. I generally try to rinse it in fresh water after it has had contact with salt water, but it does get salt water on it during use from time to time. No part of the knife shows any corrosion.

Spyderco does have the Byrd line of budget friendly knives. I got one for my wife, but it has been lost along the way so I can't comment on how it held up. If the Spider knives are too pricey I'd definitely consider a Byrd Cara Cara Rescue 2, priced at about fifty bucks.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 06:16   #9

Thank you. Found it on eBay for $34. Looks like a good knife for a great price.
Now I have to buy one for each of the crew and the manatees only use it to cut pizza. Thanks again.
Mark
Old 25-04-2021, 06:56   #10

Boat: Nauticat 43

We had a line from a crab trap off Key Biscayne wrap itself around our shaft and also between the skeg and rudder. I dove on the boat to cut everything loose but decided to get something installed on our shaft. A diver in St Augustine recommended the Shaft Shark product. To our knowledge, we've never had to use it. It's a product manufactured to imperial diameters; we had to have some additional slight milling done by a local machine shop to have it come closer to closing during assembly on our metric shaft (you want it to just not close around the shaft until/unless the halves are screwed together) so it will clamp and not just spin (which would make it ineffective cutting).

If you buy a product that is screwed together, there's a thread locker product called VC-3 which is invaluable. It is applied to the screw threads before assembly and is dried before assembly. Screws with this film on the threads can then be taken under water and used without having the thread locker wash off.
Old 25-04-2021, 07:07   #11

Boat: Nauticat 43

We had a line from a crab trap off Key Biscayne wrap itself around our shaft and also between the skeg and rudder. I dove on the boat to cut everything loose but decided to get something installed on our shaft. A diver in St Augustine recommended the Shaft Shark product. To our knowledge, we've never had to use it. It's a product manufactured to imperial diameters; we had to have some additional slight milling done by a local machine shop to have it come closer to closing during assembly on our metric shaft (you want it to just not close around the shaft until/unless the halves are screwed together) so it will clamp and not just spin (which would make it ineffective cutting).

If you buy a product that is screwed together, there's a thread locker product called VC-3 which is invaluable. It is applied to the screw threads before assembly and is dried before assembly. Screws with this film on the threads can then be taken under water and used without having the thread locker wash off.
Old 25-04-2021, 07:31   #12

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Any of the Spyderco knives with H1 or LC200N steel will be basically rust free, even in a marine environment. Those blade steels won't rust from salt exposure, and Spyderco generally uses titanium hardware and plastic for the rest of the knife components for those knives.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 08:59   #13

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
another knife that cuts nylon line easily is the ceramic knives. from my experience they cut better then the serrated. but are prone to chipping.
Have to disagree here, ceramic knives break easily.
While sharp, you cannot get between lines easily and they don't bend at all.
A serrated, steak knife works well.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 09:06   #14

Best line cutter I have found is a as seen on TV ginsu goes through rope like butter. And the forked end is good for the hard to reach places
brmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 09:07   #15

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis Clipper 311, 31''

Hi.

Bread knife! The best and the cheapest!
Little Song is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutter