Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2011, 20:59   #1

Boat: 2000 Hunter 290
Campbell Sailor

Has anyone had any luck With refitting a Campbell sailor 3 blade fixed prop? I got one, mixed results. I think I'm over proped Lower RPM, hull speed same that it was with 2 blade. Less prop walk though. (yanmar 2GM20F).
Flanza4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:42   #2

Boat: Kadey Krogen 39
Re: Campbell Sailor

I know this is an old post, but would you please mention the diameter and pitch that your Campbell Sailor prop is? I am considering one also and I, too, have a 2GM20F engine (Dana 24).
Thanks
muttskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 20:20   #3

Its been a while but this is what I got when I emailed those people. Thank you for your email, and your interest in the Campbell Sailer propeller.

Based on the information that you have provided, we would recommend a CS3RH14x8x1 for your installation. This is a Campbell Sailer, three blade, Right Hand rotation, 14" diameter, 8" pitch for a 1" shaft. This size is recommended to give you a good cruising rpm and still have reserve for head wind and seas.
We have installed a number of this size Campbell Sailer for the Hunters with the 2GM20F engine with good results. Your engine will run much smoother and the control in reverse will be improved with little or no walking.

And that is what they sold me. After I installed it this is what I wrote them back.

Hi, Norm well I finally got my prop installed that I ordered from you and I got to say I'm not impressed. (sorry) My full throttle RPM went from 3800 to 3000 (my tach) Top speed is really about the same 6.0 Kts. I can't even run it at 3000 RPM w/o it loading up and spuewing black smoke and suet in the water. Never did that with the 2 blade. I'm thinking its over propped. I'm not a rich man and can't afford to keep repitching. So my question to you is, will it hurt to leave it on there as long as I don't run it at full throttle?
If its better around the docks, and will keep the 5 to 6 Kts. against a head wind and or current it may be of some use to me still. I will say this it does seem to be smoother.

F. Lanza
Galveston Tx.
This was and still is on my 29' Hunter 7400 lbs Displacement 2000 model.
Looking back guess I was expecting a lot. Still using it today just can't run it at full RPM. I beleive I'm over pitched?

Hope this helps. Not real sure on the xmission I have.
Old 03-07-2012, 20:31   #4

Boat: S2 35c

My experience with them if they continuously over pitch their props , despite the same feedback from many customers , Use Dave Gerr's formulas from the propeller handbook and you can reduce pitch or diameter to gain RPM,
Maggie-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 23:18   #5

Thanks Flanza. I suspected as much. I spoke with Norm and he suggested the same prop as you have (I also have a 2GM20F engine). It's clear that either the pitch or the diameter have to be changed to make the needed rpm. I'll discuss it with him again. Your feedback prevented me from going through what you have had to deal with, and I appreciate it very much.
Old 04-07-2012, 23:09   #6

Glad to help, only wish some one would have warned me.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:18   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I put one on our previous boat years ago. I thought Campbell's recommended size was too low of pitch and asked for another inch. That was a mistake and it was pitched too high. I sent it back and Norm repitched it for very little money (I don't remember the exact amount, but something like $50 including shipping seems correct). The new pitch worked perfectly and the boat ran smoother, had no prop walk and the decrease in drag was significantly noticeable over the old 3-blade Michigan wheel.

Did you try getting them to repitch it? The blades are shaped and cupped, so I don't think just any prop shop can do the repitch.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 19:42   #8

I spoke again to Norm Ross at West by North Enterprises (the distributor of the Campbell Sailor) and he confirmed that he had misspoke earlier, when he had specified the 14x8 prop, and that for the 2GM20F engine, and in my case a Pacific Seacraft Dana 24, the proper 3 blade prop is the 13x8 one. Not the 14x8. He assured me that, with this prop, approximately 3600 max cruise RPM is attainable. Hmmm... I think he is right.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:00   #9

Hmm. thats sounds right to me too. Maybe I'll take mine off and send it back to him.