Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 23:12   #16

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Can a folding prop be re-pitched?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I assume that's Aussie dollars, equal to around 22-2300 USD these days.

Jim

Yeah, and you should see what happens to the price when you get up around the 80 + HP. I'd really like a Kiwiprop but OMG. :^(

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-01-2017, 01:59   #17

Boat: Volkscruiser

That's right Jim. $3000 Australian, but if I was married to you I would have said $300 on sale!
Autostream props are made in Melbourne and are a very nicely engineered piece of workmanship.

Happy Sailing
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:01   #18

That is out of my Frugal Sailor budget. I have much work to do before I have to decide on the prop, so I can wait or snap up a folder if a bargain pops up. Thanks to all of you. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:20   #19
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
That is out of my Frugal Sailor budget. I have much work to do before I have to decide on the prop, so I can wait or snap up a folder if a bargain pops up. Thanks to all of you. ____Grant.
Know also that a Martec folder can only be reconditioned once. If you buy a used one that has already had that done to it, throwing a bunch of money at a repitch may not be cost effective.

Also, I will send you a PM regarding a Max Prop purchase.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:29   #20

fstbottoms, Got your message. Thank you. I am still a long way from deciding on a prop. My Tartan 34 is limited to a silly looking little 12 inch prop and I am thinking of mounting a strut and a longer shaft so I can go with a bigger diameter. I am also thinking of putting the 2 to 1 reduction gear on the back of the Anemic 4, so it can actually produce its rated HP rather than just churning water. Whatever I do, I dont want to be dragging a fixed pitch around. I took the engine and prop out of my first cruising boat and noticed a nice difference in performance. My next boat had a fixed pitch and on the first passage I almost went crazy. The spinning shaft was noisy and you could tell the boat speed by the howl of the shaft (steel boat). A folder or better yet a feathering prop is in the plan, but it will depend upon the bank account when I get to that point. Thank you all for the info. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 13:01   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
That's right Jim. $3000 Australian, but if I was married to you I would have said $300 on sale!
Autostream props are made in Melbourne and are a very nicely engineered piece of workmanship.

Happy Sailing
Shucks, when, on our previous boat we changed from a Martec folder to an Autostream feathering prop, Ann was the driving force behind the change! No need for subterfuge. And the Autostream, IMO, is a better design than the Max, despite the huge fan club the Max has in the States. We put over 3000 hours on that one, and when we sold the boat the surveyor said it was in "as new' condition.

Jim

Tags
pitch