Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2009, 07:06   #1

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
Can a machine / propeller shop "turn down" a 3 blade 15" feathering prop to be 14"

Can a machine / propeller shop "turn down" a 3 blade 15" feathering prop, to be 14", by cutting a bit off the ends? Of course, anyone can cut the ends off, but I mean, will the prop still work well. It is adjustable pitch!
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 08:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Sell it, and buy the right size. The idea is something like cutting your toes off to fit a nice pair of shoes! A propeller blade is a lovely peice of engineering, and every part of the shape is a compromise to achieve the best thrust at the lowest disturbance of the water, which wastes power. Tip design is particularly fussy, because its the part that does the most to minimize disturbance.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 09:44   #3

Boat: samson c-mist 32
A good marine experienced Machine shop can re-build, re-pitch, resurface props with no problem. They do it all the time here, and they do a great job.
emeraldsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 09:50   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
There are businesses that specialize in propeller repair. Go only to one of these places. A general machine shop will in all likelihood not know what they are doing. Propeller repair is very specialized. Its probably easier for a propeller shop to reduce the pitch one inch or so than to reduce the diameter of the wheel.

As sandy said, I would price out the cost of a new or used propeller versus the cost of having the propellers pitch altered.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 10:36   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
The original post stipulated that it is an adjustable pitch prop (as many feathering props are). This leads me to ask why is it necessary to reduce the diameter? Seems that simply reducing the pitch would get the job done...

Unless, of course, it is a matter of tip clearance!

Still, a prop shop should be able to do the mecessary size reduction... feathering props, having no twist in the blades, should be relatively easy to change without affecting their (already compromised) efficiency.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/.v Insatiable II
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 15:54   #6

thanks for all of the replies! Yes, it was a matter of tip clearance. I have a 15" prop on now, and am already at the limit. I thought I had a great deal on a 16" prop, so I thought I would ask the question. Turns out the shaft diameter size was too big on the prop as well, so I will have to look for another deal.

Thanks again!!
Old 17-02-2009, 18:15   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
If you are near the Chesapeake...Millers Island Propeller, Sparrows Point, Maryland has been in business for years...If anybody could do it, they could.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 10:40   #8

Post 14 in feathering prop (Autostream Seahawk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
Can a machine / propeller shop "turn down" a 3 blade 15" feathering prop, to be 14", by cutting a bit off the ends? Of course, anyone can cut the ends off, but I mean, will the prop still work well. It is adjustable pitch!
Northeaster: I have a 14 in prop (Autostream SeaHawk S1) that was shaved down from 15 in to 14 in (professionally done) and I need to sell it as does not fit my boat...prop is enroute back from Martec at present.
NONSUCHG
nonsuchg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 15:24   #9

Nonsuch = I would be interested in hearing more details!! I am not familiar with the model. Is it self-pitching, or adjustable pitch?
Old 22-03-2009, 15:28   #10

Nonsuch - just checked out there website. Curious as to why it didn't fit your boat, after having shaved it down!

Would like to know age, price, other details, etc.

Thanks!
Old 23-03-2009, 09:17   #11

Seahawk prop-info for Northeaster

Northeaster: not familiar with this site yet so hoping this will get to you:
(also sent mail just to you)

The prop is all stainless steel; fully adjustable pitch for both forward and reverse (can be set while in water): prop came off a Beneteau 311 with 18 HP Yanmar 2Gm20F engine; 25 mm shaft diameter (Gear ratio 2.6.2). Prop is in excellent condition (like new...no pitting/corrosion)...I paid $600 and wanted to put it on my boat...but have an SAE 1 in diameter shaft...sent it to Martec for estimate of cost of conversion from 25 mm shaft to 1 in and they recommended a 15 in (possible) or 16 in (best) diameter prop for my boat. Too expensive to switch the blades out however so now on way back to me from them (they did not do any service to the prop but upon visual inspection indicated it appears to be in excellent working condition...bearings etc) and only quoted me on switching blades and conversion to fit a 1 in shaft.
nonsuchg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3 blade