Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2021, 12:26   #1

Can You Identify These Props?

I've just picked up two old bronze feathering props (both incomplete) - with the intention of getting one complete prop. I'm having trouble identifying what brand they are. The closest I can see is Autostream by Seahawk, but their props are stainless. Can anyone help?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jWpsUydnmjY7tr3U8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WJQyhi5HxeJ5gUQA9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Spj9otDnorCobiRx5
https://photos.app.goo.gl/v23BP3VdaRUAc86y6
Cheers. Alan
alanfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2021, 14:57   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Can You Identify These Props?

Alan, Autostream made bronze props for many years prior to switching to s/s. And from memory, those do indeed look like the one I had on our previous boat... but it has been nearly twenty years since we parted with her, so take that with some trepidation!

I was pretty happy with ours, other than the usual loss of efficiency due to the flat blades; the mechanism was first rate and the prop was still in good shape after some 2000 hours usage.

Jim
Old 23-12-2021, 15:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Alan, Autostream made bronze props for many years prior to switching to s/s. And from memory, those do indeed look like the one I had on our previous boat... but it has been nearly twenty years since we parted with her, so take that with some trepidation!

I was pretty happy with ours, other than the usual loss of efficiency due to the flat blades; the mechanism was first rate and the prop was still in good shape after some 2000 hours usage.

Jim
Thanks Jim. I wonder if they have an archive of instructions for their old props... I would rather have something on hand before disassembling and installing on my boat!
Old 23-12-2021, 15:46   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanfw View Post
Thanks Jim. I wonder if they have an archive of instructions for their old props... I would rather have something on hand before disassembling and installing on my boat!
Alan, they might well have such, and almost certainly some employees who would be familiar with them still around. An email or phone call seems prudent!

Good luck

Jim
Old 23-12-2021, 18:29   #5

I'd definitely give them a call... except they are closed for Christmas until 17 January. I tried to ring them yesterday (last day of business) but was 2 minutes after closing time! ☹️��
Old 24-12-2021, 16:43   #6

Boat: 37 ft Aluminium Cutter - Roberts design

It does look like an Autostream. I serviced mine a month or so ago (although mine is ss) and found them to be very helpful when I had questions. If you’re able to wait, I’d chat to them in the NY.
Wideocean7 is offline   Reply With Quote